If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Epidemic or just more noticeable?  (Read 1462 times)

Mike S

Epidemic or just more noticeable?
« on: April 13, 2013, 11:48:19 AM »
         I see this phenomenom quite a bit on the roads.  I am sure most of you see the same.  For the most part, I know how this happens, as I have witnessed this once in nine years of driving. 
         I was at the business I was contracting with waiting to be loaded.  It was one of two buildings built parallel to each other and both buildings were parallel to I-275 to the east and Haggerty Road to the west. The "loading side" of both buildings were facing each other, and the other building was Little Caesers Pizza (where they make the pizza sauce). Little Ceasers has a four dock well with two docks being used for Storage.  Backing into the well can be tight, because the well only fits 3/4's of a tractor with a 53' trailor and the flat surface is a little short of accomodating the same set up.  Basically it is never a straight shot backing in. 
         I was in the box of my straight truck waiting to be loaded and I heard a semi (brand new Coronado and 53') fire up and start rustling. I poked my head out to watch and looked just in time to see a concrete (safety or barrier) post set up to protect the building I was at, disappear perfectly between the right front fender and the right hand steerer, then a loud crack and an ugly shudder from the Coronado as the post hit the bumper. I had a sick feeling in my stomach and it wasn't even my truck!

My question is this.  Does this happen more nowadays? or has this always been an issue?
      I know that because bumpers are made of lighter metals or even plastic the damage shown is greater. Also, as in this case, separate buildings are practically built on top of each other so pull up space is short, and those protective posts are only 3.5 to 4 feet tall, therefore drivers lose sight of them as they get close to them. (out of sight, out of mind) But did you drivers with the "chrome horns" tangle with this periodically.  Is this why some trucks had just the chasis rails wide front bumpers?
Thanks for Looking!

Mike S.

Hank's Truck Forum

Epidemic or just more noticeable?
« on: April 13, 2013, 11:48:19 AM »

granitefan713

• My Truck Picture Collection
Re: Epidemic or just more noticeable?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 12:13:06 PM »
We are a Mohawk dealer where I work, and our driver was recently given a new Cascadia. During last week's delivery, I noticed one of the bumper corners was missing, so I jokingly called it out to him. He came back with a hilarious response, but then continued on to explain it was a chunk of tire laying in the road that took the corner off. Apparently he couldn't avoid hitting it and said the cheap plastic bumper stood no chance. :-\

These cheap plastic bumpers are designed in three pieces, allowing a corner to break away, so they only have to replace that part of it, rather than the whole bumper.

Mike S

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 12:33:48 PM »
We are a Mohawk dealer where I work, and our driver was recently given a new Cascadia. During last week's delivery, I noticed one of the bumper corners was missing, so I jokingly called it out to him. He came back with a hilarious response, but then continued on to explain it was a chunk of tire laying in the road that took the corner off. Apparently he couldn't avoid hitting it and said the cheap plastic bumper stood no chance. :-\

These cheap plastic bumpers are designed in three pieces, allowing a corner to break away, so they only have to replace that part of it, rather than the whole bumper.

I never figured todays bumpers to be that flimsey.  And yes tire debris is a constant obstacle, especially right after one shreds.
Thanks for Looking!

Mike S.

NHRS

• Regular Membership
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 12:51:51 PM »
Break-away on the end just ahead of the steer-tires is a life-saver, if somebody hasn't learned to overcome the reflex to try veering away from a deer. "Hard" bumpers bend back, occupy the space the tire needs to be straight again, which is then impossible.

It's far too easy to mess up bumpers in close quarters, expecially back East in the narrow streets, leading into narrower alleys. Reason for those "rookie-rods" as the west coasters derogatorial called the markers on the bumper ends. Once you yourself were in those places, with those great markers showing where your extremes were (you needed every inch, too), you fully appreciated them.

Had  a pal (God rest his soul) pull into the yard one AM, extended-hood A KW, with his chrome bumper bent WAY out on one side, & he was almost sick. We unloaded "swinging hogs" all night long, 7 or 8 loads, lined-up in an alley in Vernon. So, you'd park & nap, waiting for your turn during the night, week after week, but never in exactly the same spot of the alley. They woke my pal up about 2 AM, & he hooked the short-height railroad-rail posts around a fire plug backing away from a dumpster.

A story of raw luck, was a night dock we delivered in Baldwin Park. Had a power-line post right in the parking area for dock doors. Another pal backed in there one night. In those days, when extended hood Pete's had a V-8 Cat with only one air cleaner, it went on the driver's side. When he got backed into the dock to unload, that post was right where the air cleaner would have been on the RH side, if he'd had a Cummins. Never touched the mirrors or the fender, either.
If you don't ask, they can't say no.

TWP

• Regular Membership
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 01:30:56 PM »
This is where your walk-around EVERY time you go to move your rig
comes into play, to re-aquaint you with your surroundings.
As someone that is in and out of very cluttered construction sites with
equipment, stand pipes, electrical boxes, exposed manholes, grade stakes,
lifts of materials and people you learn and, I've taught this practice.
Even if you get stopped to converse with a ground site employee for a moment, get out and check where everything is before putting it back in gear, it only takes a moment and may save a tire, a bumper, a scratch, an incident report as to
why you cost them the time and materials to fix what you hit.
or maybe even safe an injury or a life.

I see it all too often that people get in such a hurry to produce that they
end up producing bad results.
Truckin`Addiction.
Argueing with a trucker is like wrestleing with a pig in the mud.
After a while you realize the pig is enjoying it.

NHRS

• Regular Membership
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 01:55:14 PM »
Exactly! Trying to hurry, only half-awake, everybody standing at the dock door, waiting on YOU.

That same dock I mentioned earlier in Baldwin Park, a small filling station directly across from their dock area was closed at night, so could nose-in there, walk my BOL over & check in with the night guy. Uusally got the okay to back in. One evening I was early enough there was more traffic than I liked going down the street I'd back straight across. I asked him to come out & watch until I was out in the street, where everybody would then see a 40' refer instead of nothing.

He wasn't real happy about having to break off & do that for me, but he did, waved for me to start backing. As I began slowly backing out into the street, he started dancing, running for the curb, violently flashing the #1 gesture. Within seconds a car shot by. He found out exactly why I wanted him there watching.

When the 102's came out, most of the old lettuce docks were close for 96" trailers backed in, side to side with the doors fastened open. With 102's, they were now REAL close. I was backed in waiting one afternoon, when a couple of very nice but very young kids were TRYING to back in beside me. I'd seen better, & after several vain attempts, I got out & stood on the dock beside the kid doing the directing. I didn't say a word, but he picked up on the fact that I was extremely concerned.

As his pal rolled ahead to try lining up for another try, again, he said, "I don't think he'll hit you".

Disgusted that they'd even consider any chance of that in their proceedures, I responded, "I sure hope not. I'm too busy to take off for any funerals".

alexthe22

• Got coffee?
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 03:19:23 PM »
I hit a deer about a year ago. Good thing the company I work for is crazy on how their trucks look, and it was fix within days.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 03:23:37 PM by alexthe22 »

Philatruck

• Watch For Trucks!
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 05:11:58 PM »
I see a lot of truck with broken or damaged bumper corners. I think it is how the manufacturers makes the bumpers. Like already mentioned they are made in 3 pieces so if they break off, you can just fix the corner. If bumpers where made out of solid metal this would probably not happen.
- Philatruck. Greetings From the Keystone State !

NHRS

• Regular Membership
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 05:45:05 PM »
I always wanted to take a bridge-plank, leave it just a little short so it doesn't overwhealm the truck, 7'8" or so, so it just covers to the edge of the tread part of the steer tires. Bridge planks are "substancial" pieces of lumber, like 4"x12". Sand it smooth, give it several coats of shiney marine clear-coat, mount it with chrome or stainless-steel bolts.

Then if a deer wants to go head to head, they'll just have to let their conscience be their guide.

Bermuda Ken

• Regular Membership
    • C&G Site
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 03:19:14 PM »
Might this be why Schneider Transport ran cut-off front bumpers on their Transtar trucks????
INTERNATIONAL TRUCKS....anything else is just a car!!!

Looking for IH 4300 EAGLE BROUGHAM items.  Collector of IH & KW truck literature.

Douglass-2011

• Regular Membership
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 06:00:21 PM »
Back in the 60`s and 70`s GMC made plastic ends for their bumpers for that purpose. Also I was told so that if a front tire was blown it wouldn`t snag on the bumper and pull the steering wheel out of the drivers hands. With plastic ends the bumpers would just break off. Also , if caught on something while backing in, they would break instead of bend. Some ends where also made of hard rubber for that same purpose.
Some O/O just cut the ends of their bumpers off for the same reasons.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 06:09:09 PM by Douglass-2011 »

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 06:00:21 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs