If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: The Rise of the Machines  (Read 15101 times)

coloradogreen

• 10-4 Magazine
Re: The Rise of the Machines
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2014, 02:53:59 PM »
Eliminating all the space required for the cab and sleeper frees up cube and weight for more cargo.  Think Strick Cab Under without the cab. Heck In California you could legally put it under a 60+ ft trailer. Give each pup trailer its own power unit and you could have long 'trains" of trailers drafting each other to minimize drag.

Without a cab you essentially have a powered dolly. Heck, you might even be able to put the entire unit underneath the trailer. Hmmm. That alone would completely revolutionize the very design concept of a "tractor trailer."
Not as much as you might think...

Troy.
Your friendly neighborhood vegan heavy haul punk.

"Suzie-Q"

IMAGES COPYRIGHT TROY MILLER/ 10-4 MAGAZINE

Contributor 10-4 Magazine

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2014, 02:53:59 PM »

NHRS

• Regular Membership
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2014, 03:05:13 PM »
The time will come, if folks are told how trucking was in the last half of the 1900's & early 2000's, they'll say, "You gotta be kidding!"
If you don't ask, they can't say no.

tranquileman

• Hidden Mountain Sanctuary
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2014, 05:34:35 PM »
Eliminating all the space required for the cab and sleeper frees up cube and weight for more cargo.  Think Strick Cab Under without the cab. Heck In California you could legally put it under a 60+ ft trailer. Give each pup trailer its own power unit and you could have long 'trains" of trailers drafting each other to minimize drag.

Without a cab you essentially have a powered dolly. Heck, you might even be able to put the entire unit underneath the trailer. Hmmm. That alone would completely revolutionize the very design concept of a "tractor trailer."
Not as much as you might think...

Troy.

Haha, I remember the headline in Overdrive when they published an article about this thing, "Is Strick Sick?"

Now, without a driver to worry about, these things could be the wave of the future. ...shudder...
......If your going to be different, try not to be thin skinned.....

I hope they never find a cure for Eleutheromania

NHRS

• Regular Membership
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2014, 05:57:04 PM »
What's gonna be funny after this develops is, the social evolution.

At first, it will be like the US Army now has, it'll stop for a pedestrian, until the high-jackers figure that one out.

Then, to protect itself & the cargo, it'll just grab another gear (maybe a lot of stack-talk or the sound of a Thermoquad's secondaries opening up), with loudspeakers shouting, "Make my day, Sucker!"

RedStapler

• Not Sure-Camacho 2016
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2014, 03:13:32 AM »
Wired just did a piece on the idea of using a Drone Copter as a helper on a package car.

http://www.wired.com/2014/06/the-next-big-thing-you-missed-delivery-drones-launched-from-trucks-are-the-future-of-shipping/

Mister TyZo

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2014, 05:19:18 AM »
What's gonna be funny after this develops is, the social evolution.

At first, it will be like the US Army now has, it'll stop for a pedestrian, until the high-jackers figure that one out.

Then, to protect itself & the cargo, it'll just grab another gear (maybe a lot of stack-talk or the sound of a Thermoquad's secondaries opening up), with loudspeakers shouting, "Make my day, Sucker!"

:D Yep,Yep....And they want us to Go Green.. ???..
Be Safe / Be Careful  BTB

RedStapler

• Not Sure-Camacho 2016
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2014, 04:22:26 AM »
Interesting YouTube Video on what happens when drivers and others workers become economically obsolete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU

TWP

• Regular Membership
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2014, 10:45:28 AM »
The main reason they will still require a driver (????) in the truck is to have someone to
blame when feces hits the oscillating blades!!! ;)

-Ted
Truckin`Addiction.
Argueing with a trucker is like wrestleing with a pig in the mud.
After a while you realize the pig is enjoying it.

RedStapler

• Not Sure-Camacho 2016
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 12:42:29 AM by RedStapler »

Wee Willy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2015, 06:07:23 AM »
I watched the video, interesting.

I made a couple observations, such as the trailer was no more than 40 ft long, more likely less than, and that the blue marker lights are illegal as heck in practically every state and province.

I won't be impressed until I see one of these wonder trucks do a coast to coast run with a 53 ft trailer, grossing 80,000 or more.

"Old School Rules, shift gears or die!"

The first rule of the road is:
"If anything can happen, at any time, it will!"

NHRS

• Regular Membership
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2015, 06:47:18 AM »
They'll eventually make it. Anything that spends LOTS of dough, makes a LOT of jobs, no matter how short-lived (like when the production-run catches up with new orders), for go-home-watch-reruns-every-night-registered-voters, always flies. Laws can & will be changed to support that money-flow.

We'll just take a page in history, like the pony-express, stagecoaches, steam locomotives. It was fantastic while it lasted. Mr all-about-me doesn't enjoy the life we thrived in, & it's gonna be cheaper to replace that attitude with robotics rather than coddle. The tare-weight alone for the creature-comforts tells where this one will go. The guy on board to goof-off until the robot gets sick is merely a temporary PR stunt for public approval.

Sorry this came so soon. Even if this 1st try sputters, it's gonna eventually happen.

DRIPTROIT 71

• Regular Membership
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2015, 07:52:13 AM »
  Sadly to say, if America survives NHRS is probably right. Maybe I'm the only person left that thinks that it is important to look at history and see what built this country. Hard Work! That's what built this country. We have become a lazy society that relies on technology that constantly proves itself unreliable.
   Are vehicles better today? In many ways yes. However, given how unreliable vehicles are purposely made today, it would seem foolish to say the least to let any vehicle drive itself on a public highway. My brother went to GM school, and there it was said that if a component never gave a problem while the vehicle was under warranty then the part was "over engineered" and needed to be made cheaper. Now apply this principle to the autonomous vehicle of any kind. I made a decent living for over 24 years repairing vehicle that didn't always work like they were supposed to. Many were due to defective engineering.
   Let's go back to teaching people how to drive. Let's teach the importance of hard work. Let's teach the importance of and the need of interaction between humans. If machines do it all, what are we going to do? When machines fail who are we going to blame? What will be the cost?

NHRS

• Regular Membership
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2015, 08:08:53 AM »
Totally agree with everything you write, 71.

Had ancestors left Europe for good reason, but somewhat fewer in number of reasons than what goes on against decency, responsibility, & character, that we observe today. There will always be someplace to go, for at least awhile. And, when you guys pick one out, be sure to let me know, so I can tag along, too.

RedStapler

• Not Sure-Camacho 2016
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2015, 04:31:57 PM »
Another perspective on automonous vehicle tech: 

http://theoatmeal.com/blog/google_self_driving_car

NHRS

• Regular Membership
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2015, 06:37:41 PM »
Lots of good thinking went into that one. Makes a great case for going robotic.

Sci-Fi stories have been-there-done-that for a long time now, exploring human-robotic relationships. Some are very well thought out, totally plausible.

The dire, evil, horror-show ones, typically assume the robots will also be victimized by personal greed, as humans are. And, that defies logic. If robots are anything, it is easily totally logical beyond fault.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2015, 06:37:41 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs