Author Topic: LITTLE AUDREY'S --- Beautiful Trucks!!  (Read 2159 times)

doug mckenzie

• Regular Membership
  • Doug McKenzie
Re: LITTLE AUDREY'S --- Beautiful Trucks!!
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 08:15:19 AM »
Very sorry you lost a friend in a father with whom you shared so much. I had a dear friend (God rest his soul) who also loved 318's (he'd get his brown-tag 75's from GMC Des Moines), so I know where we'll find'm when we go across the chasm. Gonna bet they tied up with the V12-71 guys, too.

And 10-4 on the "sticks". I've got an old LJ straight truck, gas burner, just because of the "sticks". It's got a duplex AND a 4-way brownie. It ain't fast, but boy, can she creep in the bottom gear.

Thanks for the condolences.

My Father "got" his love for the 2-cycle Detroit in the Canadian Army during the Second World War - spent 6 years in a tank recovery outfit, worked on twin 6-71 equipped Shermans amongst other things.

Years later I would end up working summer casual at one of Canada's leading breweries - there were 2 guys there who had been owner-operators at one of the cross-Canada carriers my Dad had worked at. Can't remember all of the stories they told me, but they always shook their heads when they claimed "he was the only driver they knew who could get a 318 to run with a 335 Cummins and pass them."

Today I think all he'd do was "push" them down the road until the pyrometer in the 335's got too hot and they'd have to slow down to cool the old engine down!
Right-wing Old School.

NHRS

• Regular Membership
Re: LITTLE AUDREY'S --- Beautiful Trucks!!
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 12:40:38 PM »
I always pick on the V8-71, V1-71. V8-92 guys at truck shows. The friend I mentioned who loved them ran a temp gauge sender & gauge for each bank, since each bank has its own thermostat. He drove by those temp gauges. When she'd start to get a fever, he'd back out a liitle.

He allowed the side with the oil-cooler return to run slightly hotter, and it always worried him to death when those gauges got some separation they hadn't displayed before, since that meant a thermostat was hanging up. He'd toss both, and get new ones.

So, at truck shows I always tell the Jimmy guys they oughta take the temp gauge out,and they then began to explain how stupid that I am. I'd then show how they already were taking a chance on one bank, so why not do both. Very seldom to you see a gauge sender on both banks. Usually one side has that spot plugged off.
If you don't ask, they can't say no.