If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: RANDOMS FROM WASHINGTON from Nighthawk USA port of entry  (Read 4872 times)

JJG

RANDOMS FROM WASHINGTON from Nighthawk USA port of entry
« on: September 30, 2012, 01:58:44 AM »
After cruising through Keremeos along HWY 3 in BC, there is a port of entry at Nighthawk USA, before you get to Osooyoos. We crossed at this point and headed west/southwest till we got to I5 and headed back north to Surrey
firsat up after a lonely scenic road comes the town of Loomis where this is taken

a GMC tilt cab sits in a field, looks to be a fire truck of sorts

a nice little Chevy C65 LoPro taken@Omak WA

a GMC 9500 caught in Omak

A KW T800 rolls into Omak

a point and shoot of an FLD120 and a Western Star idle for the weekend

more tomorrow
Jim.

Hank's Truck Forum

RANDOMS FROM WASHINGTON from Nighthawk USA port of entry
« on: September 30, 2012, 01:58:44 AM »

norseman

• Administrator
Re: RANDOMS FROM WASHINGTON from Nighthawk USA port of entry
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 05:55:34 AM »
Loomis? Wow! I had relatives in Loomis! Well, a little ways up along Palmer Lake, which is the lake just north of Loomis, but their address was Loomis. So I have been to the area several times, and if you have more pics from the Loomis area, I would love to see them. 8)

Jan.
"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper." - Mark Twain

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 09:37:05 AM »
It looks like you were wayyy off in the hills Jim.
My favourite is the old Dodge.

JJG

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 10:48:19 AM »
Jan: Wow is right, who knew that could and would happen. We stopped at Split Rock, which I think is on Palmer lake, I'll check and post the pic later, it was stunning and the water was refreshing but if I actually dove in I would be OK :o!! We waded through up above the knees and was tempting.

You're right Rob, it was a lonely road along that first stretch, and the hills are like rolling hills of dead grass and very dry!

Jim.

norseman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 06:27:55 PM »
Jan: Wow is right, who knew that could and would happen. We stopped at Split Rock, which I think is on Palmer lake, I'll check and post the pic later, it was stunning and the water was refreshing but if I actually dove in I would be OK :o!! We waded through up above the knees and was tempting.

Yeah, I've waded in Palmer Lake, too... And fished in it with my relative, Ed. :) He and his wife, Wilma, had a beautiful property on the east shore, right off the road there. They used to live on the WA coast, but sold their property there, and got enough money to build a pretty huge house with plenty of room for visiting family and relatives - like us! Haha! They're both passed away now, though, and their children, who live on the WA coast and Spokane, now use the house as a vacation house. I have some truck pics from last time I drove through Loomis, which was last spring (just to see the place again), but they're at home... I'll have to post them when I get back. Can't wait to see your pic of Split Rock, which is a name that sounds familiar, although I can't really place it. I bet I can when I see the pic, though. :)

Jan.
"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper." - Mark Twain

JJG

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 08:12:13 PM »
This is at the bottom end SE part of the waters, looking north to what I think the name derives from:

there is also one with the wife in the water but I better ask her permission to post it, she isn't here at the moment so I'll hold off!

Jim
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 08:28:39 PM by JJG »

norseman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 08:14:20 PM »
It sure does bring back memories. 8) This would be a bit farther north than my relatives' place, I believe, but I'm pretty sure it's Palmer Lake. I mean, driving from Nighthawk to Loomis, I'm pretty sure Palmer Lake's the only lake you're driving past, so... :) Thanks for posting!  :)

Jan.

JJG

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 09:27:10 PM »
Jan, that lake is pretty long, it hooks upward to the east, and btw, that is the SW part, not the SE as I mentioned earlier, sorry!

there are a lot of Cold Storage places along that region and this one is just east of Brewster on US 97 SB, showing a mixed fleet, the trailers are interesting as they are straddle carriers, able to pick up a row of loaded fruit bins out of a field by backing over top of the row and lifting under the bins, picking the row up and driving off. They unload the same way at the Cold Storage. Didn't catch any better ones loaded or loading as we had to hustle back home for Monday work. There is a side view (somewhat) later

a group of trucks parked in Brewster used primarily for the movement of fruit

A W900 KW with WA spec tractor with fruit bins on a flat bed

a loaded straddle carrier NB coming into Brewster to one of the Cold Storage facilities. The carriers have hydraulics on that out board A frame construction that has no "thru axle" providing the"open chassis".

there were a 1/2 dozen of these green Columbia straddle carriers parked here

a T600 between Brewster and Lomak showing the typical landscape of the region.

We had supper here, then it got dark, the end of the photo shoot.

Jim.

L.Dugas

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 07:38:44 PM »
The old Dodge looks in pretty good shape.

JJG

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 08:31:33 PM »
The old Dodge looks in pretty good shape.

that Dodge would be as solid as it looks Lee, if it spent it's life there! It is VERY dry there all year and they don't use salt up in WA if it snows, they lay down sand............WHAT a concept!! We don't get much for snow either here but they do put salt down.

Jim.

G. Laplante

• Regular Membership
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 04:22:31 AM »
I like all those old trucks.

JJG

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 12:26:50 AM »
Figured I might as well combine this past short trip in here rather then start a new topic, these are all in the State of WA so here we go, entering into Lynden, Wa south of Aldergrove BC, a set of oldies on a farm, a Cargostar

couple of Ford LT9000 trucks at rest

here is a cool lineup, Western Star, Ford, Hayes........would have liked to get in and see what else was here
http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac85/Jimmyjacobs_bucket/Jimmyjacobs_bucket190/WASHINGTON%20Pictures/004_zps4bjicuev.jpg
even an old Hayes is visible

right in Lynden, Martin Feeds seems to call this home. A retired Freightlier COE

they favor the Freightliner brand hands down

still a lot of Columbia tractors in the fleet

A Cascadia is the later addition in typical WA specs

the only odd ball here was a KW T800 town tractor

a skinny cab Transtar farm truck in rural Lynden

back in town, Skagit Trucking from Mt.Vernon WA Prostar in front of a new Cold Storage

A Cascadia sitting outside of the Ameri-Cold Storage

Milky Way is a division of Lynden Transport obviously taking care of the huge dairy farming region collecting the milk and delivering to Dari Gold in Lynden

a Peterbilt reefer loading up out of Dari Gold

a Cascadia south of Lynden on a farm

a 70's Chevy assists in putting up a new fence around this orchard

then off to the next town we go........later

Jim.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 12:45:54 AM by JJG »

Jon_G

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 08:44:13 PM »

The Skagit Valley Prostar daycab is interesting, looks odd with the full skirts like that.

Jon

JJG

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 09:46:14 PM »

The Skagit Valley Prostar daycab is interesting, looks odd with the full skirts like that.

Jon

I agree Jon, I did take a head on shot first and went back to get that side profile, I think it does make the truck.

Jim

JJG

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2017, 10:30:22 PM »
There is a lot of farm country in the north of the State and to the east, the mountains set in real quick leaving very few roads to discover. We did head a little south first which ended up going more eastward, here is a KW we nabbed in the country

and another T800 farm truck on the farm

this Peterbilt met us right in the curve, he was heading right into Everson, which was the next town along the way

going thru town we caught a Cascadia headin West on WA544

in the town we took a quick break at this Union 76 gas station, for a Sunday, the truck traffic on this 2 lane was pretty steady, here wifey nabbed this Petebilt before he got around the corner

these trucks were all coming down WA Hwy9 which comes right down from Sumas Wa/Abbottssford BC, next one up was this step deck with building materials hooked into another Pete

he stopped, proceed a Left then a right to continue South on 9

right hot on the heels comes Can Am West with a Pete and what seemed to be a wood chip bin/container(?)

then this KW B-train with a couple sections of steel pipe

a few more trucks went by, we headed northward to cross back into Abbottsford, doing just an afternoon rounder. This FLD120 and KW tankers were along the way

and this Kenworth threesome was another on route

BONUS SHOT:
An old Studebaker in good shape in Lynden WA

a few more to come, later!

Jim.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 10:35:51 PM by JJG »

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2017, 10:30:22 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs