Author Topic: Howard Johnson and Sambos Trucks  (Read 1425 times)

wcmorris

Howard Johnson and Sambos Trucks
« on: December 24, 2006, 04:24:56 AM »
Hi, I am new to the site. What a great site for us old drivers. I am looking pictures or diecast models of trucks from Howard Johnson and Sambos Resturants. If anyone has any PLEASE let me know. Thanks and happy driving. Wayne         morris@sepub.com

Ex Road Pounder

• Proud member since July 10, 2003
Re: Howard Johnson and Sambos Trucks
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 06:22:16 AM »
This isn't what you are looking for, but the one on the right in the picture next to the elephant was a Howard Johnson. I bought it at a flea market to paint up like a Shay's truck, and repainted the side panels.
 Since then I came across a Shay set of doubles, so now will paint it up like a Stott & Davis truck instead.

wcmorris

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 10:54:16 AM »
Thanks for the offer. I have a tractor just like that with the HOJO trailer. Have a great holiday

Ex Road Pounder

• Proud member since July 10, 2003
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 05:11:44 PM »
Wayne
 I was looking at some White Truck items on Ebay tonight, and noticed this Howard Johnson Winross.
 Item #130071377753   

wcmorris

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 03:02:32 PM »
Thanks for the tip. I have that truck in my collection. I drove for HOJO for 14 years. There were around 10 different trucks over the year and I have seven. I drove for Sambos for the last ten years that they were open. I had four of there trucks but they got lost over the years. I have not been able to fnd any Sambos trucks on the internet but keep looking. Again Thanks

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 05:45:09 PM »
This is a Winross I've had since the early '70's.  Found it readily in the garage though.  I'm pretty sure we picked it up at a plaza on the Ohio Turnpike, back when all the facilities were Howard Johnson's.  The yellow top of the cab was something I added when I was a kid.

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 05:53:47 PM »
Man, Sambo's trucks!

I grew up in western Pa and my hometown had one Sambo's restaurant in the mid-70's.  It was kind of a thrill to catch one of their trucks coming in as they were based in California (or at least that was on the door), but they were definitely west coast trucks.  Long wheelbase 352 Petes with matching trim reefers, usually with Sambo's graphics, and west coast rigged trailer axles.  They were really exotic for my area at the time.  I managed a couple photos.  One decent portrait shot was of a rig with no trailer graphics, one other on the fly, with graphics, but a good part of the trailer is cut off.

WC, did these rigs really come all the way from the west coast to make restaurant deliveries?

I didn't realize there were models of the trucks, never saw one.

I googled Sambo's and came up with their website.  They went bankrupt in '79 but apparently there is still one operating in California and it is the original location.  Got some insight on the name too.

http://www.sambosrestaurant.com/

charlie

• Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 03:56:02 PM »
IIRC Sambo's rather unfairly fell victim to the name association game & our polictically correct society. All the uproar & bad publicity forced them out of business.

wcmorris

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 01:40:49 PM »
Yes, until 1976 all Sambo rest. were serviced out of CA. They had one warehouse and it serviced the whole US. In 1976 they open a warehouse in Florence KY and split the country in half. Dallas ws the split and we serviced all the rest east of Dallas out of KY. When I went to work in Florence we had all Pete's from the west coast with a 16 speed trans. In 1978 we got new Pete's with a shorter wheel base and in 1980 we got a bunch of Freightliners. Yes we had winross diecast trucks. Its hard to belive that none have been on ebay.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 01:43:04 PM by wcmorris »