Author Topic: Volvo vs. Cascadia  (Read 1916 times)

Oso2

• Global Moderator
Volvo vs. Cascadia
« on: August 07, 2012, 11:43:39 PM »
I found some Volvo marketing lit, in case anyone is interested. It does make me wonder who is producing the truck with lowest cost of ownership in the <80k van market. My guess is that whoever it is, the numbers are very close.

http://www.advantagetruckcenter.com/PublishingImages/siteart/VNL670%20vs%20Cascadia%20Competitive%20Comparison.pdf
Truckin' it Old School since 2010

LocalCoilHauler

• A Dirty Truck is a Working Truck
Re: Volvo vs. Cascadia
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 08:39:42 AM »
Who Cares what that brochure says, I'd have a Volvo any day over a Cascadia no matter how much better the brochure stats that Volvo is!!
It's Appearance might be Half yours but it's Reliability might be Twice yours!!

MAC Trailers - The Best of the Best!!

Oso2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 12:50:49 PM »
Who Cares what that brochure says, I'd have a Volvo any day over a Cascadia no matter how much better the brochure stats that Volvo is!!

Why's that?

LocalCoilHauler

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 06:01:16 PM »

Why's that?
Because if it's a brochure made by the company stating it's vehicle is the best Some info might not be true. I mean some info could be true but you never know. The thing that matters most is the reviews and opinions shared by people who use them and own them, and I've heard lots of good things about Volvo's!

Freightliner Guy

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 08:52:44 PM »

Why's that?
Because if it's a brochure made by the company stating it's vehicle is the best Some info might not be true. I mean some info could be true but you never know. The thing that matters most is the reviews and opinions shared by people who use them and own them, and I've heard lots of good things about Volvo's!

You are correct. A few years back when the Cascadia came out. They did a comparison with the International Prostar. Freightliner put it out. It was pretty much one sided like this Volvo brochure. One thing I do see is that it states the Cascadia is made in Mexico. That's not true as it is also made in North Carolina.

norseman

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 02:01:56 AM »
Yeah, marketing literature is in my opinion only good for finding exact technical info and options lists and the like. To find out whether a vehicle is actually better than another one does need a bit of impartiality, which any marketing literature put out by any manufacturer will be completely and utterly devoid of.

Jan.
"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage." -Mark Twain

Mister TyZo

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 05:46:38 AM »
Yeah, marketing literature is in my opinion only good for finding exact technical info and options lists and the like. To find out whether a vehicle is actually better than another one does need a bit of impartiality, which any marketing literature put out by any manufacturer will be completely and utterly devoid of.

Jan.

;) ;)  Agreed, and even when there's Politics involved with a Big $$$ Purchase just to satisfy the people with the Purse Strings, Afterwards you listen to all the " He Said, She Said, Who Said ", Back Peddling cause some Lobbyist did a Good Selling job from the Brochure.....Just Saying............ 
Be Safe / Be Careful  BTB

doug mckenzie

• Regular Membership
  • Doug McKenzie
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 05:18:09 PM »

Why's that?

But no one has YET said why the Volvo's better than the Cascadia.

Shed some experienced light on this topic.

I'm curious just in case I wake up and find I'm in the wrong truck.
Right-wing Old School.

HuntFlatbed

• Just Trying To Keep Up With The Real Truckers.....
    • My RR Pics
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 07:57:46 PM »
I'm no trucker, but I talk to truckers all day who drive a lot of different makes and Volvos seem to be popular because they're good on fuel, quiet, comfortable, and roomy in the sleepers if you get anything other than a Flattop.  In fact I've had some old-timers complain the Volvos are too quiet.  Whatever that means.  Also many of the truckers I've talked to laud the Volvo's storage space.

Oso2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 11:32:05 PM »

I'm curious just in case I wake up and find I'm in the wrong truck.[\quote]

I don't want to suggest that one is better than the other - as my total Cascadia wheel time is about 3 hours. I just posted that to see if anyone had any strong opinions - particularly on fuel economy/cost of ownership.

P.S. Navistar thinks you're in the wrong truck - although they might have backed off in the last few months.

doug mckenzie

• Regular Membership
  • Doug McKenzie
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 04:34:08 AM »

I'm curious just in case I wake up and find I'm in the wrong truck.[\quote]

I don't want to suggest that one is better than the other - as my total Cascadia wheel time is about 3 hours. I just posted that to see if anyone had any strong opinions - particularly on fuel economy/cost of ownership.

P.S. Navistar thinks you're in the wrong truck - although they might have backed off in the last few months.

The war of words actually began with Freightliner and Navistar each claiming that their truck was the slipperyist(?), most fuel efficient on the market.
That's all it's ever been .... marketing B.S.
And the Cascadia's not fuel efficient, quiet and spacious inside?

Where does this come from?
Any experience with the 2?
Right-wing Old School.

Oso2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 04:28:33 PM »
From my Very limited experience I can say this: I think the Volvo has better storage - particularly the area over the drivers seat. It also has better nooks and crannies around the dash to store pens, cd's and what have you. The ride and noise are slightly rougher than my old Prostar. But then again I recently looked at a Cascadia that I thought was rough sounding. The   Cascadia has a bigger bunk area.

And none of this will tell you anything about cost of ownership.

P.S. I've been keeping track of my mileage. I get about 6.5 idling every night. The old Prostar got about 6.3 with no idling, but it might not have been fully broken in.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 04:34:27 PM by Oso2 »

busman7

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 07:39:26 AM »
"idling every night" Isn't that illegal most everywhere?

LocalCoilHauler

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 01:48:29 PM »
????? ??? Idling... illegal?? Where are you coming from bud?
To backup my previous Comments on the Volvo, I know a lot of O/O's that have them and they say they get great fuel mileage! They also like the interior with all the available space for storage and Safety Features of the Volvo. I think the only thing that they were not fond of was the ride but other than that they loved their Volvo.

busman7

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 02:26:10 PM »
????? ??? Idling... illegal?? Where are you coming from bud?

http://www.toronto.ca/transportation/onstreet/idling.htm 

Should be everywhere! 8)