Author Topic: New Argosy Glider  (Read 8303 times)

granitefan713

• My Truck Picture Collection
New Argosy Glider
« on: June 03, 2012, 04:48:45 PM »
I was treated to this new Argosy glider this morning. I had to go chasing after it just to get these shots, but I figured it was worth it. 8)
That grille is quite the attention grabber...

charlie

• Wish i were built like a Mack truck
Re: New Argosy Glider
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 05:06:36 PM »
Good grab Dave........you get a Gold Star for effort. :) Just me maybe but i think that grill shoulda filled in the blank spaces to the left & right. :-\

Mister TyZo

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »
Good grab Dave........you get a Gold Star for effort. :) Just me maybe but i think that grill shoulda filled in the blank spaces to the left & right. :-\

8) ;)  That's a Ditto from Me as well, they definitely could have filled in the blank spaces on either side..
Be Safe / Be Careful  BTB

L.Dugas

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 07:41:00 PM »
Just when you think they can't get any uglier....

Jon_G

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 07:52:25 PM »
Ah so you did get pics of this one! Awesome! 8) I wonder where its going. Looks vocational with those wheels. Depending on who you talk to they may or may not be available in the US.They're not on the official Freightliner glider listing (Coronado, Century, Columbia) but if a dealer is willing to work it seems there are ways to get one ;)

G. Laplante

• Regular Membership
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 08:04:01 PM »
Interesting this pic of Argosy day cab glider kit.  It just remember me that about a month ago my friend Greg have sended me a pic of  one of the two older Argosy Madigan Transport are rebuilding with glider kits. I am working on to many projects right now and I forgot to post it.  Madigan is an interesting small fleet of 5-6 trucks based in Lancaster ON and all  their truck are COE.  Those new Argosies should be on the road by now.

Jimmy B

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 11:06:32 PM »
Just a super catch and post by both...

Jimmy B

beastmaster62

• Regular Membership
  • Truckin My Life Away.....Thru Pictures
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 04:03:20 AM »
Great picture. Really a nice looking truck they have to add to their fleet

Fishhook

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 05:08:39 AM »
Cool catch(es) . Makes no sense why Freightliner doesnt offer the Argosy as a complete vehicle,  especially since you can get one in Canada as a glider. 

Jon_G

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 12:39:53 PM »
Cool catch(es) . Makes no sense why Freightliner doesnt offer the Argosy as a complete vehicle,  especially since you can get one in Canada as a glider.
My thoughts exactly! You would think that with all of the specialized businesses that still use the COE (i.e. long pole haulers, car carriers, production companies) and with the push for lighter weight trucks that Freightliner would be taking advantage of that. It doesn't make much sense to me as to why they don't just offer it as a model here, especially considering its made in North Carolina, but I don't run Daimler so I can't explain their methods ;)

Pascal Pion

• Regular Membership
  • St Hyacinthe,Quebec,Canada
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 06:40:31 PM »
Dave,I saw the same combo as you today going east,on HWY 20,near Montreal.  ;)
War is the terrible ransom that humanity has to pay for it's stupidity...
                  Lt Col Charly Forbes,WW2 hero
                   Maisonneuve Regiment

Felipe Garcia

• Regular Membership
    • FelipeGarcia | Aviation & Truck Photography
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 07:02:49 PM »
So are these cab/frame combos and everything else that goes in there comes from older trucks?

I'm amazed that the Argosy didn't really sell in Mexico either, as Scania seems to be doing ok with their R-series (and P for vocationals -even some twin steers), but I've seen few FL's. Cemex had (or still has) a few of them for moving bulk tankers around Monterrey, but companies like Potosinos (courier, LTL, specialized and truckload cargo) went with Scania instead.
My website
Truck Photography, Mixers and more.
http://www.felipe-garcia.net
UPDATED 13JUL12

LoneStar

• The Con-way Guy
    • Photobucket Album
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 10:33:49 PM »
I like them, look like a flat nose Cascadia!

Thanks to roogie for the Photo!

granitefan713

• My Truck Picture Collection
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 03:07:54 AM »
So are these cab/frame combos and everything else that goes in there comes from older trucks?

More or less. Gliders can be purchased like the one I caught, or as "rolling gliders" which have new rear axles and rears as well. As far as the engine goes, you typically use an older re-built engine, and the transmission can be new or used.

Paystar

• Regular Membership
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 12:08:52 PM »

I keep reading all the posts here that they are available in Canada, yet my dealer called Freightliner and they said NO! Not in North America. So there are either better dealers somewhere or somebody is getting paid well.