If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: P379X  (Read 5501 times)

tonkinreplicas

P379X
« on: July 18, 2003, 04:34:47 PM »
I was just wondering what peoples opinions were of the new Peterbilt 379x.  

http://www.peterbilt.com/index_gal_379x.asp

Hank's Truck Forum

P379X
« on: July 18, 2003, 04:34:47 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

hank

• Administrator
    • http://www.hankstruckforum/htforum
Peterbilt 379X
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2003, 09:36:29 AM »
I think these are fantastic looking trucks. I keep hoping to see one on the road, but after speaking to a Peterbilt salesman, he told me that they won't be released until sometime later this year.

It sure would make a great diecast.
Hank Suderman

cdntrucky@shaw.ca

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
P379X
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2003, 03:01:14 PM »
I think that it will be far too expensive for most owner-operators, especially Canadians. :shock:  
A truck is first and foremost a piece of capital equipment that is to make a profit for the operator. :?
The rates today are not that much different than twenty years ago, yet costs have sky-rocketed. Insurance is going up now, just as fuel is stabilizing. :evil:
Why drive an extra fancy truck if the profit margins are so thin?

doug mckenzie

• Regular Membership
  • Doug McKenzie
Peterbilt 379X
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2003, 07:13:02 PM »
Rob;

You'd be surprised at the cost of trucks and what can be accomplished.
Several years ago we had a handful of owner-operators where I work who operated Western Star Constellations. When it became time to trade, they traded to Pete 379's because they were able to get them cheaper than another Western Star.

Several former Freightliner Classic owners also went to Petes.

AND - before we even think about other things, certain Pete 379's are now built in the Paccar facility in Ste. Therese Quebec.

How long a truck sits on a dealer's lot has an awful lot to do with how much it will eventually cost. Many premium trucks are ordered in as stock nowadays as opposed to being custom ordered. It's much easier to order, say a 379 Pete with a C-15 Cat and 18 double-over and then rate the engine to whatever horsepower rating the prospective owner wants prior to delivery. The new owner then has the option to have a 500 or 550 or better horsepower truck at trade-in time while all along until he traded the tractor he could well have operated it at 450 or less.

I know of one owner-operator from Prince Edward Island who runs an FLD 120 Classic with a 500 hp Series 60 Detroit. He complained of atrocious fuel economy until he bit the bullet and de-rated the engine to 430 hp. While he couldn't compete with the fuel economy the company-owned 430s were and are getting he was much happier that the magic 7 miles per IMPERIAL GALLON were then within reach.
Right-wing Old School.

CW

• Regular Membership
    • http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/wendt.htm
I talked to a Pete salesman....
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2003, 12:17:06 PM »
I talked to a Pete salesman who said the rigs were going for upwards of $120,000.  I don't personally see how any Owner-Operator could buy one, with the way the industry is currently.   I played the O/O game for 6 years, never again.

Steve_WI

P379X
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2003, 11:44:47 PM »
I personally think its a great truck, but whats so special about it.  Other than maybe the polished aluminum front fenders, all the other accessories including the pete cut out style radiator cover can all be bought from chrome  and accessory shops.  

Some people have claimed to have seen the Pete 379X other than the ones out on tour.  But its not very hard to customize your own pete into this one and probably doing it alot cheaper.

Also you have to remember that these trucks will have the EGR engines in them.  With the new EGR engines and who knows what will happen in 07', but I personally think the end of the "large cars" are drawing near, unless some design aerodynamic features are added into them or some new kind of fuel saver gizmo comes out.   Truckers are gonna later realize that they can't afford these kinds of trucks anymore.  The EGR engine already adds alot to the price, what happens when 07' rolls around?  

Thats my thoughts.
Dec. 23, 2008 The end of an era at GM Janesville.

Anonymous

P379X
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2003, 05:58:36 PM »
I can see myself getting that truck..... then comepletly turning it into an ugly mess.  I always track things in on my shoes and it would get all over the nice stuff and its all shinney inside its just too much for me to handle.  Ill probly loose alot of stuff inside there too it looks like theres alot of places for things to fall under.  I guess ill stick to my daycabs where I cant hurt myself  :D

keep it clean
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2003, 08:03:29 PM »
why don't you kick your shoes off before you get in your truck. How do you work in dirt all day. I sure can't

road.rascal

Re: P379X
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 04:30:07 PM »
If i got into my dads with my shoes on id be walking,? but i keep her clean and polished and people that keep their trucks looking road hard and put away wet dont deserve to have them

CAN MAN

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 05:13:25 PM »
TOO EXSPENSIVE FOR CANADIANS  :roll:

Gee Robert at least the FINANCE COMPANIES are not prejudice they will let CANADIANS sign on the dotted line just like AMERICANS :lol:

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 07:10:19 PM »
TOO EXSPENSIVE FOR CANADIANS? :roll:

Gee Robert at least the FINANCE COMPANIES are not prejudice they will let CANADIANS sign on the dotted line just like AMERICANS :lol:

Well, when you figure that the CAD is worth (even now) only about 86 cents US; that's a 15% (or so) premium just for living in the "True North Strong And Free"
It has been and will get worse again.

Maybe that's one reason there are so many profitable financial institutions.
Are there that many profitable owner-operators?
hmmmmmm????????

CAN MAN

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2006, 07:05:18 AM »
The O/O's that are PROFITABLE are usually the ones who do not show or brag that they are  :-D

Nothing like reading an article about some showboat of a truck and they tell how he MAXED the VISA to buy the GLITTER :roll:, or listening on the CB how someones is going to be buying the TRUCK of a life time and its going to have everything on it right at the start , then stand behind them at the dealer as they are told their account is on HOLD for a measly OIL CHANGE. :oops:

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2006, 07:05:18 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs