If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Center State Transport (California)??  (Read 5508 times)

Jon_G

Center State Transport (California)??
« on: February 10, 2012, 06:45:56 PM »
I think this group may have been from Fresno but not sure. It was the company that ran the bright Pink rigs with some sharp stripes along while back. They had a wide variety, from W900s to WFT White Freightliners. Any1 know where they went???

Hank's Truck Forum

Center State Transport (California)??
« on: February 10, 2012, 06:45:56 PM »

Lone Wolf

Re: Center State Transport (California)??
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 08:12:28 AM »
Hey Jon_G,

I was wondering the same thing some time ago:

http://hankstruckforum.com/htforum/index.php?topic=49931.0

Gary Morton is propably your best bet for additional information.

Matti
I couldn't repair your brakes so
I made your horn louder.

Lone Wolf

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 08:21:22 AM »
I found this picture featuring one of their KWs in a chrome shop advertisement.

The photo is from Harm Speerstra who was one of the original "Trucker's for kids" -organizers.

Matti
I made your horn louder.

Jon_G

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 08:01:32 PM »
Thx for the info! That Aerodyne looks really good!! 8) Is that coach theirs too?? :o

Lone Wolf

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 07:15:00 AM »
I believe the coach belonged to someone else. Maybe to Marquis Plating Inc.

Matti
I made your horn louder.

gjljr727

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 09:26:10 AM »
One of their old FLDs still working.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 09:37:25 AM by gjljr727 »

Lone Wolf

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 11:14:41 AM »
Thanks for the very interesting picture George. That was a sharp truck in it's prime with chromed steel wheels and all.

Do you know what happened to them or when was the last time you saw their trucks on the road? That FLD appears to be early-mid 90's vintage.

Matti
I made your horn louder.

Jon_G

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 10:16:08 PM »
Even their aero stuff looked good! Cool catch! 8)

gjljr727

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 04:37:45 PM »
Matti,

I don't remember when they went out of business. It seems to have been sometime in the mid nineties, but I really can't be sure.

strogdon

• Regular Membership
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 11:14:09 AM »
The company was owned by John Mancebo who was the son of “Spike” Mancebo that owned Kings County Truck Lines out of Tulare CA.  John ran Center State out of Fresno.  At one time he also ran a charter bus line, one of which was shown on the poster.  His flagship bus was a two level Scenicruiser that ran a 16V71 Detroit.

John originally owned Market Express, but sold it due to union problems.  He then started Center State with the KW COE shown on the poster being the first truck of the new fleet.

I had the pleasure of working for John who was of the finest men I’ve ever known.  My first time meeting John was when I applied for a job there.  He met me on a Friday evening and there was no sign of any of his power units in the yard.  He then took me over and opened one of the two warehouses on the property and hit the light switch.  There in front of us was a dozen of the most  polished, chromed out tractors I had ever seen, all with that signature pink paint job.   He always had all the power units in the warehouse and out of the elements when parked.

I worked for John for 4 years and was always treated with respect and thanks for the job I did.  If I was in L.A. and had to do a bunch of cross town trailer loading that made me run late, I could expect a phone call the following Saturday morning telling me to take the girlfriend to the local steakhouse and give them his name and all would be taken care of.  Where has that kind of ownership gone?

John passed away quite a few years ago and the company tried to continue, but as with most companies, when the patriarch is gone they seldom survive.  John ran the trucking company because he loved the business and he loved trucks.  Sure, he could have done it differently and made more money but that wasn’t what drove him.

I still have the trophies that I won with the trucks of his that I entered in various shows and will never forget that man.

Lone Wolf

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 11:25:47 AM »
The company was owned by John Mancebo who was the son of “Spike” Mancebo that owned Kings County Truck Lines out of Tulare CA.  John ran Center State out of Fresno.  At one time he also ran a charter bus line, one of which was shown on the poster.  His flagship bus was a two level Scenicruiser that ran a 16V71 Detroit.

John originally owned Market Express, but sold it due to union problems.  He then started Center State with the KW COE shown on the poster being the first truck of the new fleet.

I had the pleasure of working for John who was of the finest men I’ve ever known.  My first time meeting John was when I applied for a job there.  He met me on a Friday evening and there was no sign of any of his power units in the yard.  He then took me over and opened one of the two warehouses on the property and hit the light switch.  There in front of us was a dozen of the most  polished, chromed out tractors I had ever seen, all with that signature pink paint job.   He always had all the power units in the warehouse and out of the elements when parked.

I worked for John for 4 years and was always treated with respect and thanks for the job I did.  If I was in L.A. and had to do a bunch of cross town trailer loading that made me run late, I could expect a phone call the following Saturday morning telling me to take the girlfriend to the local steakhouse and give them his name and all would be taken care of.  Where has that kind of ownership gone?

John passed away quite a few years ago and the company tried to continue, but as with most companies, when the patriarch is gone they seldom survive.  John ran the trucking company because he loved the business and he loved trucks.  Sure, he could have done it differently and made more money but that wasn’t what drove him.

I still have the trophies that I won with the trucks of his that I entered in various shows and will never forget that man.

Thanks for this most interesting information strogdon. I have a few questions:

Do you remember when the Center State was established and when they shut down?

Did he have a some type of deal with this chrome plating business? I've noticed that many of his trucks featured chrome steel wheels.

And finally, did you take any pictures of the trucks back then?

Thanks again,

Matti
I made your horn louder.

Jon_G

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 05:52:00 PM »
Thank you very much for all the info strogdon! Glad to hear Mr. Mancebo was great to work for 8)

Jon

calitrucker26

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 08:19:22 PM »
wow jon part of the kctl family wow i remember his passing in a 10/4 magazine rest in peace mike

Rick Sousa

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 07:21:05 AM »
Back in the day Fresno was the Chrome Wheel capital of the world. Quality stuff I ran them for years took them off one truck and put on another when I traded in.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 07:21:05 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs