Author Topic: What is this Transmission?  (Read 3517 times)

CaptainRay

What is this Transmission?
« on: December 26, 2011, 10:13:25 PM »
I have learned about alot of transmissions, but this is the first time I have seen this shift pattern, what transmission is this? do they make it anymore? Thanks

alexthe22

• Got coffee?
Re: What is this Transmission?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 10:20:20 PM »
15 speed. 8) I'm no expert on this, but It shifts like like a straight 10 on normal loads on the highway. The Low-Low range is use for heavier loads or for off-road applications.  My friend had a 96 White/GMC with one of this.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 10:33:16 PM by alexthe22 »

CaptainRay

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 10:55:40 PM »
15 speed. 8) I'm no expert on this, but It shifts like like a straight 10 on normal loads on the highway. The Low-Low range is use for heavier loads or for off-road applications.  My friend had a 96 White/GMC with one of this.

Ok, I always thought 15 speeds were 10 speed style pattern but all of the high range gears were split into LO and HI (Drive and Over Drive). I have also heard that the 15 speed is the heavy duty cousin of the 13 and 18 speed because its geared lower or something like that. Basically a highway/cruising tractor version of the 8LL/9LL style gearboxes for dump trucks and flat beds. I am still learning how these transmissions works so bear with me  ::) ;D

Wee Willy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 04:12:45 AM »
Pretty weird, never seen one before.

The tag says its a 13 spd, it shifts similar to a 15 spd, but slightly different in the low end, or deep reduction.
This is a very light duty transmission according to the tag, will only handle 660 ft/lbs of torque.
The first rule of the road is:
"If anything can happen, at any time, it will!"

Dan Burkhart

• Regular Membership
  • Oakville Ontario
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 04:41:18 AM »
 Like the dash label says, it's a 6613. It was a popular transmission for vocational applications like dump trucks.
 It does not have a splitter, and shifting is more like an LL type.
 Shift sequence to get 13 gears was 1st, 2nd and 3rd in LL, then repeat the five speed pattern in intermediate and high.
 I drove one or two of them in the early 70s. Not sure when it was discontinued.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

CaptainRay

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 07:51:11 AM »
Very interesting Dan, thanks for the insight ;D I have never seen this pattern before. What was this called exactly? 10LL, 13LL, 15LL? It resembles a 9LL with three more deep reduction gears and 5 direct gears instead of a LO gear in the mid range.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 07:55:35 AM by CaptainRay »

Dan Burkhart

• Regular Membership
  • Oakville Ontario
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 06:14:44 PM »
Very interesting Dan, thanks for the insight ;D I have never seen this pattern before. What was this called exactly? 10LL, 13LL, 15LL? It resembles a 9LL with three more deep reduction gears and 5 direct gears instead of a LO gear in the mid range.
No, it was called RT-6613, just like the dash label says. It was usually mounted behind mid range engines like the 3208 Caterpillar or the triple nickel Cummins. If you're new to the industry you may never have heard of those. They were both smaller V8 engines in the 200-225 hp range.
 This tranny was used with gas engines as well, although not as popular as 5X4 or 5X3 transmissions.

Mr Bee

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 06:51:26 PM »
The progressive shifting sequence is the same as a 15 speed

Boll Weevil

• Regular Membership
  • "Ford W9000's rule!"-Boll Weevil, age 11
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 07:59:32 PM »
The progressive shifting sequence is the same as a 15 speed

This tranny shows that you drop 2 gears when switching from LL to low.

I'm pretty sure you only drop one gear on a 15 spd when switching from DR to low.
Jim

marmaduke1975

• Regular Membership
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 01:45:53 PM »
That right. Only has 13 progressive forward gears and not overdrive. I used to have a RTX14615 and you drop only 1 from deep to direct. The X meant the last two gears were between Overdrive and Direct ratios it was very nice. This one you drop 2 and is direct drive.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 01:50:51 PM by marmaduke1975 »
Drive Friendly!

Dan Burkhart

• Regular Membership
  • Oakville Ontario
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 02:01:01 PM »
That right. Only has 13 progressive forward gears and not overdrive. I used to have a RTX14615 and you drop only 1 from deep to direct. The X meant the last two gears were between Overdrive and Direct ratios it was very nice. This one you drop 2 and is direct drive.
Not exactly correct. The X meant that the third shift rail had a mechanism to reverse it's direction of travel to give you a straight shift pattern with an overdrive transmission.
 Most if not all Fuller 13 and 18 speed transmissions made today employ the X bar shift rail housing to accomplish exactly the same thing.
 They are overdrive in the main box, and without this do-dad, you would be shifting in this pattern.

R  1  4
                                l   l   l
                                 -----
                                l   l   l
                                L  2  3

Dave

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 01:31:57 PM »
Interesting transmission.

Does anyone remember the older 13 speed direct tranny? 3 ranges, no splitting. LL1, LL2, LL3, L1, L2, L3, L4, L5, H1, H2, H3, H4, H5. It was in a small gas engine  truck. Maybe this is a modern version? 

Shifted properly, a 15 speed, due to ratio overlap, only has 12 forward gears, DR1, DR2, DR3, DR4, DR5, L4, L5, H1, H2, H3, H4, H5. You can shift out of DR in any gear, we used to just go DR1, flip the DR button, into neutral, and back into L1.

I only drove 1 truck without the X bar shift rail, 15 OD, it made you think. The truck also had a 4 speed auxiliary.

Dave