If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Railfanning and Truckfanning Unite  (Read 7263 times)

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
Railfanning and Truckfanning Unite
« on: December 23, 2011, 10:24:41 PM »
Back on 7/1, I spent the better part of the day tearing up roofing at our old house.  Before heading home, I wanted to spend 15-20 minutes at a nearby spot I discovered a few weeks back.  When the new PA Turnpike bridge over the Allegheny river was built, the old one was left in place until it was finished, so the approach curves on either side had to be realligned.  This included rebuilding a high overpass carrying a local road across the pike on the west end.  When I drove up to check out the new bridge from that vantage point. I discovered that they placed a nice wide pad of concrete on the berm and was surprised to find that the fence along the barrier was installed low, so you are able to park and get a good shot of westbound traffic. 

Just as I drove up to my spot that day, I saw two guys with cameras, one with a tripod, crossing the road to where I was going to park.  I thought  "What the..." but had a feeling about what they were up to.  I parked across the road in a U. of Pitt. research facility parking lot where they had parked, and went and joined them.  Turned out they spotted a Bessemer and Lake Erie freight waiting to depart there yard a few miles away and were waiting for it to cross the bridge adjacent to the pike, northwest bound with a load of coal.  I joined them and chatted for a bit, telling them about Hank's.  They were monitoring a radio for the train's departure, but unfortunately I couldn't stay around long enough to catch it coming by.

The view looking east

A few of the truck pics taken

The railfanners

X marks the spot, looking west from the turnpike.  If you look down the road you can see how the highway goes back to the right to meet the old allignment before takeing a hard curve to the left.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 10:31:45 PM by Paul Kane »

Hank's Truck Forum

Railfanning and Truckfanning Unite
« on: December 23, 2011, 10:24:41 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

HuntFlatbed

• Just Trying To Keep Up With The Real Truckers.....
    • My RR Pics
Re: Railfanning and Truckfanning Unite
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 06:11:44 AM »
Nice Series!  I'm really liking the angles you got on the trucks.  Will you be able to use this location for a while or was this a "1-time" event?

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 06:28:54 AM »
Super spot!!! 8) I'm always amazed how rail fanners will wait for 1-2 hours for 1 train to pass while we truck spotters get antsy if only 1 truck goes by per minute. ;D Has GAL abandoned their distinctive livery Paul? ???

sbrant361

• Regular Membership
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 09:46:50 AM »
i like the angle of those shots too, allows you to get the truck without having part of it cut off by the stupid barriers.
shelby

Gary Smith

• Fleet eye for the Chicken guy
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 11:02:37 AM »
In all of these years, I have never seen a train on the Bessemer bridge.
It's a Mack thing. you wouldn't understand.....

"Every highway, just beyond the high beams"

Rich Reinhart

• Regular Membership
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 05:44:46 PM »
railfanning is like fishing..you wait and wait..then with only 5 class 1 railroads left in the US and a handful of motive power that all look alike  it`s kinda predictable..I never know what I`m going to see out chasing trucks...
Hell yeah son, I`ve driven a Superliner .....

Member ATCA and ATHS

hank

• Administrator
    • http://www.hankstruckforum/htforum
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 12:44:30 PM »
Back in the good days of railfanning (the early 1980's), I use to sit by the tracks in Oregon and would get to see lots of Espee action. Lots of tunnel motors and even a bunch of old SD-9's. Then later on (late 80's and 90's) I'd sit all day and I'd be lucky to even catch an Amtak.

On our trips to California in the 80's my part of the vacation was spending the day at Tehachapi. I couldn't could the number of trains I saw in the day. There were lots. My last time there wasn't as exciting. In fact I was the only one at the loop.

With all the mergers of my favorite roads, taking pictures of trucks is way more exciting.
Hank Suderman

cdntrucky@shaw.ca

Chris_E

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 01:48:05 PM »
The only Class 1 I really dug was Conrail, and now that they're gone, I really only like shortlines and looking for older local power.  I have more fun watching intermodal trains to see what's going on the rails. :P
The foot turned to the horse, the horse to the carriage, the carriage to the train, and the train to the truck.

Gary Smith

• Fleet eye for the Chicken guy
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 08:07:48 PM »
The only Class 1 I really dug was Conrail, and now that they're gone, I really only like shortlines and looking for older local power.  I have more fun watching intermodal trains to see what's going on the rails. :P

I agree.  I haven't been out railfanning since the last weekend of the "Big Blue Machine" back in '99.  If I'm out and I stumble on some action I'll stop and watch, and sometimes I'll take the back way to Wal*Mart, which parallels the CSX (B&O) tracks and passes the spot where the park trains waiting to get into Curtis Bay yard.  Sometimes you get pool power, W&LE on coal trains and BNSF or ICE/DME on ethanol trains.  Mostly it's the same old thing - widenose GEs and graffitied-up cars.

US15 runs along the edge of Enola yard near Harrisburg and follows the railroad to Duncannon.  Back in the day it was a prime LTL route (Along with US22, which followed the east bank of the river and the "Buffalo line"), and I want to cry when I think of the photos of trucks that I didn't take; MFX, Hall's, CF, Maislin, MasonDixon, Roadway, Helms, Ryder TL, Jones, Eazor.....  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(
It's a Mack thing. you wouldn't understand.....

"Every highway, just beyond the high beams"

Jamie

• Regular Membership
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 05:32:33 PM »

Sorry for bringing up an old topic, but I just saw this. I agree with Gary and Chris. I find Intermodal watching more fun then manifest trains. Don't get me wrong, I will still watch a manifest (Freight) train, but I like Intermodal much more.

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 06:23:42 PM »
Expressway!!!!!!!

Train, Truck(trailers) and intermodal all combined.

Chris_E

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 06:25:20 PM »
Probably one of the most interesting intermodal trains I've ever seen!  Unusual to see flatbeds on intermodal trains, let alone flatbeds loaded with containers! What is this madness?
The foot turned to the horse, the horse to the carriage, the carriage to the train, and the train to the truck.

wbache

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 06:51:40 PM »

I got this shot 5-10-12 in Cajon Pass--it is uncropped or edited--The truck is on I 15 south and the BNSF intermodal is headed to San Berdoo probably on into LA and the LA/LB harbor. I subscribe to Railpace/Railfan and Railroad as well as Trains but am not a "foamer".  I share the magazines with my brother and friends when I have finished reading them. If the pic don't fit here feel free to move it.

Chris_E

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 06:53:15 PM »
I think it's a perfect fit, Walt!  I really enjoy this shot. Three modes of transportation. Too bad there wasn't a helicopter or something hovering in the background. That would've been cool. ;D

Yulee

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 04:04:05 PM »
If you ever go through Folkston, GA, just a few blocks west of US 1, the city turned the depot into a museum. The area around the depot has been turned into a park with benches and a speaker that broadcast the train radio frequencies. CSX line from Jacksonville to Waycross is right next to it. Apparently there is a spotters club with a small shed right down the street as well. Quit common for folks to be out watching.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 04:04:05 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs