If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: It's the EVAN's Auto-Railer!.....and, it's a RARE one!  (Read 17309 times)

Jerry Austin

Re: GADZOOKS!! IT'S THE AUTO-RAILER"!!
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2011, 10:52:09 PM »
George/All:

Just spent the past hour trying to locate anything else related to this rare and awesome "rig"; seems that what we've located and posted thus far is about all that is on the 'net at present.

However, as I said to you earlier last evening during our phone discussion, surely, other photos (or blueprints, newsreel footage, etc.) must exist somewhere......the question, of course, is WHERE?

As would be obvious, such items would be quite scarce, indeed.

Too, as I mentioned to you, there obviously at least two of these rigs built (you had noticed this as well in the photos).......were these the only two, or, were more built?

IMHO, given the highly unusual configuration of these transports, it is doubtful that more were built, given the near-total lack of photos, stats, etc. from 'net sources.......right now, I feel we're at an impass.....

Jerry
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 10:54:56 PM by Jerry Austin »
"THE RUMBLE OF THE DIESEL, THE SHIFTIN' OF THE GEARS! THE RHYTHM WHEN HE'S MOVIN' IS MUSIC TO HIS EARS! CANNONBALL! CANNONBALL!"

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2011, 10:52:09 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

eymurphey

• When we see what we want to see, and hear what we
    • "I'M LIKING TRUCKS"
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2011, 09:41:54 AM »
George/All:

Just spent the past hour trying to locate anything else related to this rare and awesome "rig"; seems that what we've located and posted thus far is about all that is on the 'net at present.

However, as I said to you earlier last evening during our phone discussion, surely, other photos (or blueprints, newsreel footage, etc.) must exist somewhere......the question, of course, is WHERE?

As would be obvious, such items would be quite scarce, indeed.

Too, as I mentioned to you, there obviously at least two of these rigs built (you had noticed this as well in the photos).......were these the only two, or, were more built?

IMHO, given the highly unusual configuration of these transports, it is doubtful that more were built, given the near-total lack of photos, stats, etc. from 'net sources.......right now, I feel we're at an impass.....

Jerry

Jerry,  Let's not give up so fast!!! Remember what we asked last night? Location of pictures, was easier than I thought. If you go back to where you found your original picture of this beast, you will note: EAST ST. LOUIS RAIL -- Would say this was linked in some way to THE ST.  LOUIS AMMUNITION PLANT that made munitions during WWII and transported to places west such as FORT LEONARD WOOD.

Carry on sir --- and see what you can dig up on this ST. LOUIS rail spur -- right up your alley!!!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 04:19:55 PM by eymurphey »

"I'M LIKING TRUCKS"  ---- http://georgedennis.blogspot.com/

" We shall learn more & more about less & less until we know everything about nothing"

Dan Burkhart

• Regular Membership
  • Oakville Ontario
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2011, 09:51:21 AM »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

eymurphey

• "I'M LIKING TRUCKS"
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2011, 04:49:02 PM »
It's just like you always say, "You never know where you're going to find a truck!"  In this case another Evans AutoRailer.

Click on Image for larger View ----

" We shall learn more & more about less & less until we know everything about nothing"

eymurphey

• "I'M LIKING TRUCKS"
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2011, 05:18:59 PM »
VERY INTERESTING READING AND GREAT NEW PICTURES --- Popular Mechanics Article 1944

"OFF AGAIN, ON AGAIN RAIL ROAD"

http://books.google.com/books?id=n90DAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA1&dq=Evans%20AutoRailer&pg=PA1#v=onepage&q&f=false 

« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 05:26:56 PM by eymurphey »

Jerry Austin

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2011, 07:32:40 PM »
Hey, George:

You DO have the POWER to work MIRACLES!! :o :o :o

EXCELLENT work, my friend!!!! ;) ;) :) :)

Jerry
"THE RUMBLE OF THE DIESEL, THE SHIFTIN' OF THE GEARS! THE RHYTHM WHEN HE'S MOVIN' IS MUSIC TO HIS EARS! CANNONBALL! CANNONBALL!"

hwyhaulier

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2011, 07:49:46 AM »
George - Jerry -

Ref. POPULAR MECHANICS (1944)? Col. Ed Evans just full of ideas, yes? Compare with account of
contemporary ALASKA HIGHWAY. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Highway

Perhaps the EVANS concept of some practical application, over landscapes of near entirely barren
countryside. In present day, there are "road train" all highway configs, notably in Australia. Else,
the EVANS plan limited to select and exceptional applications?

Compare? Check the history of all the grief and aggravation to obtain authority for highway carriers
in establishment of over the road combinations of sixty (60) and sixty-five (65) ft. OAL truck - trailer,
or truck - "Western Pups" sets...

........................Vern.....................

eymurphey

• "I'M LIKING TRUCKS"
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2011, 10:16:41 AM »
George - Jerry -

Ref. POPULAR MECHANICS (1944)? Col. Ed Evans just full of ideas, yes? Compare with account of
contemporary ALASKA HIGHWAY. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Highway

Perhaps the EVANS concept of some practical application, over landscapes of near entirely barren
countryside. In present day, there are "road train" all highway configs, notably in Australia. Else,
the EVANS plan limited to select and exceptional applications?

Compare? Check the history of all the grief and aggravation to obtain authority for highway carriers
in establishment of over the road combinations of sixty (60) and sixty-five (65) ft. OAL truck - trailer,
or truck - "Western Pups" sets...

........................Vern.....................

Vern,

While I think I can see your point on the original conceptual use of these vehicles by Evans, none the less his idea for dual purpose vehicles IE. roadrailers lives on in today's highrailer vehicles still in use by many railroads. Here are a couple of  examples ---

hwyhaulier

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2011, 11:07:34 AM »
George -

MANY THANKS! The first photo is especially provocative? Sure would like to know the
"who, what, where, when and why" of it!

In the views: Sure, it can be done. Why not? A "converted" highway Class 8 Power Unit,
with customizing and re-fit has to be cheaper than a conventional switching locomotive.

In Col. Ed Evans proposal, why do I get the feeling in my bones he was ISO a bountiful
US Army or DoD contract? In the era, a great deal of fanciful proposals ISO money. Were
we to believe the mid 1940s "hype", we would all board "Flying Wing" transports...

......................Vern.....................

eymurphey

• "I'M LIKING TRUCKS"
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2011, 04:49:01 PM »

Jerry Austin

« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2011, 10:42:32 PM »
Hey, George:

THAT IS TOO COOL, MY FRIEND!!!! :) :)

Judging by the autos, pic would date from the late 50's/early 60's......CLASSIC STUFF!! :) :)

Jerry

Jerry Austin

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2011, 01:04:16 AM »
Hey, George.....

Thought you might enjoy seeing this ol' timer...... ;)

http://www.davesrailpix.com/odds/on/htm/grndrvr31.htm

eymurphey

• "I'M LIKING TRUCKS"
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2011, 08:38:10 AM »
Just found this and thought I would add it to the collection of Evans Autorailers --- Trying to get Jerry to start another thread under INTERMODAL focusing on just Evans Autorailers --- HOPE HE READS THIS!!

Jerry Austin

« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2011, 08:52:27 AM »
Just found this and thought I would add it to the collection of Evans Autorailers --- Trying to get Jerry to start another thread under INTERMODAL focusing on just Evans Autorailers --- HOPE HE READS THIS!!

Hey, George:

MESSAGE RECIEVED AND UNDERSTOOD!<G>

WILL DO SO LATER THIS EVENING!

Jerry

BTW:

EXCELLENT work on your part, my friend! ;)

eymurphey

• "I'M LIKING TRUCKS"
Re: It's the EVAN's Auto-Railer!.....and, it's a RARE one!
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2011, 08:59:17 AM »
Jerry --- Was REALLY hoping that the change in title of this thread would rouse more curiosity about the rarity of the EVANS AutoRailer thus bringing more response to this important piece of trucking history. I wonder if others know that this thread now carries the most information on the EVANS AutoRailer anywhere on the web? You have done HANK'S proud, and I for one have learned a lot about the history of HighRailers / AutoRailers as a result -----

Hank's Truck Forum

Re: It's the EVAN's Auto-Railer!.....and, it's a RARE one!
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2011, 08:59:17 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs