If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Overnite Express  (Read 4268 times)

Rigmover

• Regular Membership
Overnite Express
« on: November 06, 2011, 12:45:30 PM »
Hi anyone have any old pics of Overnite Express from Ontario and Quebec. This trucking company was own by my mothers uncle back in the 50's & 60,s. Till he died while trying to take off in  his over weight DeHavlin Beaver float plane crashed and drowned this is what i was told then her aunt ran it for a number of years. They had terminals in Hamilton,Toronto,Ottawa & Montreal and i,m pretty sure Husband bought them out and called it Husband Overnite Transport back in the late 60's or early 70's not sure any info or pics would be greatly welcomed..

thanks Rick

Hank's Truck Forum

Overnite Express
« on: November 06, 2011, 12:45:30 PM »

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • www.hankstruckpictures.com
Re: Overnite Express
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 02:36:30 PM »
I lived near Cooksville on The Dundas Highway (Highway 5) when growing up. There was a little diner just up the road at the corner of Erindale Station Road. It was pretty run down by that time but almost everyday in 1966 or 67 there was an Overnite driver who would stop there for supper. I guess he was letting the traffic on the 401 ease up since their terminal was on the far side of the city at Highway 48 and 401. He drove a snub nose Sicard very like the Liquid Cargo Lines Sicard in Doug McKenzie's collection.
My Grandmother lived in Lachute QC till she passed on in 1963. I recall seeing Overnites down there and around Ottawa; usually International gas pots with stake and rack trailers.

R. Buron

• Regular Membership
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 02:48:25 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Rick.Here two pictures from the Don Querciagrossa collection which is on the main picture section of the website.

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/donq/cdn/overnite_express_tractors.jpg

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/donq/cdn/overnite_express.jpg

The green International tractors on the first photo are typical of the Overnite fleet.As opposite of the trend Overnite was operating a fleet of mostly gas running trucks exclusively International
with only few diesel Mack R tractors.

As you can see on the pictures the company was first taken over by the Bussieres Group (Bellechasse,Speedway,Rimouski) before being sold to Husband

Mister TyZo

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 05:03:32 PM »
Hi anyone have any old pics of Overnite Express from Ontario and Quebec. This trucking company was own by my mothers uncle back in the 50's & 60,s. Till he died while trying to take off in  his over weight DeHavlin Beaver float plane crashed and drowned this is what i was told then her aunt ran it for a number of years. They had terminals in Hamilton,Toronto,Ottawa & Montreal and i,m pretty sure Husband bought them out and called it Husband Overnite Transport back in the late 60's or early 70's not sure any info or pics would be greatly welcomed..

thanks Rick

Boy your bringing back some old memories.  From 68' to 74' I drove Truck for Keyes Supply ( Ottawa ) Overnite Express Terminal & Garage was on my Route less than a block from the Robert Guertin Arena in Hull / Gatinue QC. I had to walk through the garage area and I marveled at all the units in various stages of repair..They did all their own inhouse complete rebuilds from the ground  up.. Red Frame , Green Cab, Black Fenders.. Just like it was off the show room floor when the job was complete...While I'm sorry I don't have any pictures, your family connection and background is Interesting as I was led to believe The Grey Nuns owned Overnite Express....Cheers
Be Safe / Be Careful  BTB

Rigmover

• Regular Membership
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 06:46:54 PM »
Hi got the full story from my mom & dad about Overnite Express. Her uncle Earl Noel started Overnite Express back in the earlly 40's during WWII started out with one truck hauling dry goods out of Montreal to the Ottawa & Hull Quebec area and in 1948 my dad started working for him as a mechanic for a couple years at that time they had 7 trucks. Dad says they were KB Model International trucks gas jobs. At the time of his death he  had about 8 planes Beavers and Cessenas that he used to fly in cargo into remote areas of Quebec were there were no roads. He died in a plane crash while taking off in a Cessena float plane that was in 62 or 63 my dad thinks. Overnite Express at that time had about 300 employees. His son Roland Noel and his mom Noella ran the company for awhile then sold it off. I ask my dad if the Grey Nuns bought it he was'nt sure he thought they sold out to the CNR they sold out in the mid 60's . Thanks for pics R. Buron cool  to see some old pics of the company...

Rick
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 09:03:34 PM by Rigmover »

ltmdwb

• Regular Membership
    • Dale's Truck Insignia Patches
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 07:44:13 AM by ltmdwb »
Dale
Psalm 51:10-12

see part of my more than 2,500 piece freight company patch exhibit or help me identify some at:
You can see this project as it develops at my new site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/truck_company_insignia_patches/sets

Madartist48

• Regular Membership
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 10:58:52 AM »
Hi in regards to Overnite  Express . Their yard was on Glow Avenue in Hamilton. It was easy access to QEW from there. Husband Transport and Leather Cartage and Cathcart were all beside each other on that street.
Husband did take over Overnite. They took down the fence between the 2 companies and made it all one yard. There are still Overnite trailers running around..........
Perhaps if you can find some history on Husband then it could lead to more ..Hope this helps you

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 10:58:52 AM »