Author Topic: pony motors  (Read 934 times)

old trucker

pony motors
« on: October 31, 2011, 09:59:05 AM »
has any one heard of a gasoline pony motor to start a diesel engine?

cash flow

Re: pony motors
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 11:33:18 AM »
Caterpillar and John Deere used them in dozers and tractors respectively for years, until advances in electric starting systems and glow plugs made them obsolete.  As I understand the JD system, the small pony motor would be connected to the diesel via a clutch, and would spin the diesel motor until it had enough RPM's and heat to continue combustion on its own.  The pony motor was typically air cooled.

Dave

coloradogreen

• 10-4 Magazine
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 02:30:24 PM »
IMAGES COPYRIGHT TROY MILLER/ 10-4 MAGAZINE

Photography is a beautiful thing...

Contributor- 10-4 Magazine

I'm not fearless, I'm just stupid.

sbrant361

• Regular Membership
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 02:31:52 PM »
the John Deere and Caterpillar pony motors were actually water cooled. the coolant for the diesel flowed through the pony motor, which was heated by it and helped warm the diesel engine. the exhaust from the pony preheated the incoming air for the diesel. the JD system used a clutch to engage the pony to the flywheel of the diesel, Caterpillar used a sliding pinion and clutch (some also used a bendix) to crank the flywheel.
shelby

michael

• Regular Membership
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 01:33:03 PM »
International dozers had the same set up as I recall. TD7 and TD15 were the model numbers if my memory is any good.

bandit1

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 04:03:49 PM »
International dozers had the same set up as I recall. TD7 and TD15 were the model numbers if my memory is any good.

Actually, International had a somewhat different system.  We had 2 TD-14's and a TD-18 sidebooms.  On them, they had and injection pump and injectors on one side of the engine, and the other side had a mag, carbeurator and spark plugs.  You'd start it on the gas system, then it had a lever to switch over to diesel.

I don't know when they got away from that system, these machines were from the late 40's, very early 50's.  We had a TD-9b that was a 1962 model that was direct electric start on diesel.

sbrant361

• Regular Membership
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 04:10:47 PM »
farmall super M diesel and the farmall 400 with diesel had the same setup. it looks like the 450 farmall did too, but the next model, the 560, had an electric start diesel, and they came out it 1958, so i'm gonna say thats when IH quit building the diesels like that.
shelby

krooser

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 08:09:07 AM »
Had a pony motor on my Model 12 CAT grader when I was in the racing biz....

Ex Road Pounder

• Proud member since July 10, 2003
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 05:41:54 PM »
Hate to pirate the thread, but long as the subject is being discussed.
 If I recall this was an engine out of a IH grader.
 It took awhile to start, change over, run , then change back, os I had to do it in two parts.
 Whatch the lady in the red dress in the second clip.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/Freightman/?action=view&current=SyracuseShow2007097.mp4

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/Freightman/?action=view&current=SyracuseShow2007098.mp4

krooser

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 07:42:13 AM »
Hate to pirate the thread, but long as the subject is being discussed.
 If I recall this was an engine out of a IH grader.
 It took awhile to start, change over, run , then change back, os I had to do it in two parts.
 Whatch the lady in the red dress in the second clip.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/Freightman/?action=view&current=SyracuseShow2007097.mp4

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/Freightman/?action=view&current=SyracuseShow2007098.mp4

I get zippo....

old trucker

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 06:31:18 PM »
When I was about 10 or 11 years lod the guy down the street from us had an autocar  tractor hauling steel and he started it with a pony motor . Every time he was going to fire it up i would run down to watch. He was my hero.

W. Lineman

• Regular Membership
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 01:38:48 PM »
My brother had a job greasing the dragline in a coal strip job in the early 1970's and he got me up in the cabin once to watch it start. I don't know much about the diesel engine except it ran about two or three hundred rpm.

The pony motor was a 283 Chevvy V-8 and you were supposed to start it and run it until the coolant was flowing through the radiator. Then you would release this big four foot handle that came out of the floor and push it forward as you gave it throttle.

Unless there was heavy maintenance, that dragline ran three shifts and was rarely shut off. So that Chevvy motor didn't get very many hours in a year, and almost all of that was warming up, probably only a minute a year under load.

I'll not forget the chuff-chuff-chuff of the diesel from inside the cab.

69hayes

• Regular Membership
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 10:49:01 PM »
I can't remember the make of a old gas/diesel we had on a rock crusher but you started it on gasoline at low compression and when warm switched over the compression release and turned on the diesel and shut down the gas feed, it always started no matter what it just took some time to warm up for the diesel. 

Wee Willy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 04:18:05 AM »
The first rule of the road is:
"If anything can happen, at any time, it will!"