If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Cathcart  (Read 7032 times)

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
Cathcart
« on: March 18, 2004, 12:18:30 PM »
Are there two Cathcart Transports?
There was Cathcart Transport who had a terminal on Shornecliffe Avenue in Toronto. They had a full load division called SAFEWAY. If I remember correctly they ran red Internationals. They're pretty long gone, likely about 1985-90 time frame.

Then today, I caught a glimpse of a trailer going along the QEW with Cathcart Transport or maybe trucking. It was a triaxle van, but I didn't note what the tractor was.
Is this the same company? I think it said it was out of Peterborough.

Hank's Truck Forum

Cathcart
« on: March 18, 2004, 12:18:30 PM »

doug mckenzie

• Regular Membership
  • Doug McKenzie
Cathcart.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2004, 06:23:22 AM »
Same family Rob.

Cathcart was out of the Peterborough area.
If you're familiar with Highway 115 into Peterborough, there is a large section of farm land on the east side of the highway past the solitary railroad tracks which at one time belonged to "Cathcart Farms".

That was, if it's still there since it's been so long since I've been around that area, owned by Manson Cathcart - the owner of Cathcart Transport.

Today's Cathcart is a relative, perhaps his son?
Right-wing Old School.

tom_the_trucker

Re: Cathcart
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 05:02:08 PM »
i live in PTBO....Bryan cathcart owns cathcart trucking now

Pascal Pion

• Regular Membership
  • St Hyacinthe,Quebec,Canada
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 06:03:58 PM »
Hey Tom,is Peterborough Freight Lines still in operation?Use to see them a lot  on the 401 on our way to Lansing,MI...
War is the terrible ransom that humanity has to pay for it's stupidity...
                  Lt Col Charly Forbes,WW2 hero
                   Maisonneuve Regiment

carl_roy

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 04:04:54 AM »
Sad News about Peterbrough Freight Lines
Many years ago they were bought out by Meyers Tsp and over one week end fell into the Meyers fold.
Now the only thing left of P.F.L. is old trailers that you will see as Meyers hangs unto old Equipt but by the same token the keep them in good shape

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 05:41:33 AM »
Didn't Peterborough Freightlines have Quaker Oats graphics on their trailers?

Sad News about Peterbrough Freight Lines
Many years ago they were bought out by Meyers Tsp and over one week end fell into the Meyers fold.
Now the only thing left of P.F.L. is old trailers that you will see as Meyers hangs unto old Equipt but by the same token the keep them in good shape

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 05:45:38 AM »
I see Bryan Cathcart has joined our Forum.
Welcome Bryan: anything you can tell us about the history of the family trucking business?
Any pictures to share?

bryan cathcart

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 06:14:26 AM »
Hi Everybody, I think this is a great forum.  I check it all the time, but this is the first time I have felt I needed to reply to something.  The Cathcart Transport that was in business from the 1940's to the 1990's is not the same as our Cathcart Trucking.  My Uncle Manson Cathcart owned the original business until 1988 and then he sold it to Pat McGuire and John Kennedy.  They operated it until 1993 and then closed its doors.  I started my business in 1983 as an Ottor Freightways agent in Peterborough.  When Ottor closed I changed my business name to Bryan Cathcart Trucking (BCT).  Then in 2000 I took on a partner named Denise McCullough to help the growing business and we changed the name just to Cathcart Trucking.  We just moved into our new 50,000 square foot warehouse this spring, and currently operate 40 trucks.  We are proud to carry on the Cathcart name in Trucking, even though it is not the same as the original Cathcart.  Hope this answers some of the questions people had about Cathcart Trucking.  Thank You

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 06:52:01 AM »
Bryan: Thanks for that explanation.

Pascal Pion

• Regular Membership
  • St Hyacinthe,Quebec,Canada
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005, 08:50:13 PM »
Didn't Peterborough Freightlines have Quaker Oats graphics on their trailers?

Yes they did and thats why I was asking my question since I remember those trailer
War is the terrible ransom that humanity has to pay for it's stupidity...
                  Lt Col Charly Forbes,WW2 hero
                   Maisonneuve Regiment

tom_the_trucker

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2005, 01:19:34 PM »
Pascal....every body is right....my dad works for meyers and the PFL trailers they use now is storage and to help drivers park thir trailers with out going into the ditch

carl_roy

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2005, 01:35:47 PM »
Tom what does your father do at meyers is he domestic or U.S. Like many others I use to work for meyers but when Jane Meyers got shoved out thing wern't the same and we left.

tom_the_trucker

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2005, 04:24:57 PM »
My dad is a domestic driver....he just goes all round ontario and once in a blue moon quebec

c.j. hall

• Regular Membership
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2005, 07:15:43 PM »
Hey Rob,
 Back in the eighties when I drove for Rammage Transport and then later Supersweet Feeds I went to Quaker in Peterborough twice a week. At that time Buckam Transport had some trucks and trailers painted the Quaker blue and white, I think they were Road Boss'.  Buckam also had some trailers decalled Gator Aid which was another Quaker product. Later on when I drove for Willett Foods, Buckam had T600 Kenworths painted Quaker colours with no indication of Buckam on the door but you could tell by the unit numbers. Somedays there would be 2 to 4 Buckam green and yellow trucks hauling Quaker products in vans.
 Omer Rammage had some old pictures from the sixties in his office and Rammage had trucks back then painted in Quaker colours. I believe Peterborough Freight Lines also hauled for Quaker since the colour of their trucks sure resembled Quakers corporate colours. There was a large industry base in Peterborough at one time. Outboard Marine, DeLaval have closed and the General Electric plant only produces a fraction what they once did.
CJ

carl_roy

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2005, 04:07:42 AM »
Thanks Tom I didn't know many domestic drivers as I didn't get to Peterbrough much or did I want to go to th yard. The only time I would go north of #7 was to head to the cottage in the summer. 

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2005, 04:07:42 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs