Author Topic: Hill & Hill Truck Lines (Houston, TX)  (Read 1518 times)

Dwayne

Hill & Hill Truck Lines (Houston, TX)
« on: May 27, 2011, 01:02:20 PM »
What's the scoop guys? I gather they were a pretty popular fleet in 70's. Personally, I don't know much about them other than they had some nice truck's pulling for them.  8)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carhaul/4379234325/

« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 01:03:52 PM by Dwayne »

Dwayne

Re: Hill & Hill Truck Lines (Houston, TX)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 01:05:52 PM »
Found this:

50 years ago oil production was going full blast in the Los Angeles area and we saw a lot of this kind of equipment on the streets and there were trucking companies now gone that hauled the drill supplies as well as the suppliers themselves. With the decline of production and environmental restrictions on exploration and drilling most of this industry has disappeared. J.H Rose headquartered in Houston TX had a yard in Montebello on  Washington Blvd.at the corner or Maple Ave. The story on the street was that J.H Rose had an account with Hughes Tool and had a run every night for them.  ETMF was on the other corner and General Cable was just up the street on Maple Ave. With deregulation Hill and Hill who did a lot of business hauling supplies directly to Alaska opened a yard on Maple also. Today all these companies have disappeared into history. On the other hand the service companies such as Halliburton and Schlumberger have continued to thrive thru good times and bad.

Dwayne

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 01:07:43 PM »
From the Russ MacNeil Collection:

Quote from: Russ MacNeil
Alaska hauler for Hill & Hill Truck Lines from Houston, TX. They were one of the main carriers for the building of the Alaska Pipeline. Next to him is a KW COE leased to Pyramid Van Lines from San Francisco, CA taken at the Cordelia Terminal Stations Texaco in 1976.

wbache

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 03:33:53 PM »
The Hill and Hill truck in the pic with the step deck I believe is a KW which was the type used on the Alaska hauls. Diamond plate fenders and a hood and radiator arrangement seldem seen in U.S. highway operations but built to handle the rigors of weather and terraine. note the tow clevis on the  bumper and they usually had plates for the Yukon and Northwest territories in Canada. I believe their routing was from Houston up U.S. 287 and exit to Canada at Sweetgrass MT. Saw them a lot in the 70's.

charlie

• Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 03:42:30 PM »
I moved to Thornton CO in late 1977 and Hill & Hill was a regular on I-25 back in those days. A couple of truck stops in the area would always have a few rigs going to Alaska with material for the pipeline. Oh how i wish i would have had a camera back then.

Dwayne

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 04:48:31 PM »
 8)