If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: ‘Re-packaging’ trucks to save fuel  (Read 1916 times)

Ray F

‘Re-packaging’ trucks to save fuel
« on: May 25, 2011, 08:07:05 PM »
Very Interesting !!!!  :o :-\

http://fleetowner.com/management/news/repackaging-trucks-save-fuel-0525/

BTW Whoever Designed those trucks in that picture, Must Have been Looking At Hot Wheels Trucks  :-\

Hank's Truck Forum

‘Re-packaging’ trucks to save fuel
« on: May 25, 2011, 08:07:05 PM »

coloradogreen

• 10-4 Magazine
Re: ‘Re-packaging’ trucks to save fuel
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 12:53:54 AM »
"For example, one of West’s students experimented with shortening the hood on a conventional tractor, moving the engine farther back over the steer axle. Not only did this reduce the surface area of the truck, thus lowering aerodynamic drag and improving fuel economy, but positioning the engine this way allowed for weight reductions as less frame support for the engine was needed. This further added to fuel efficiency gains."

You mean, a snub-nose tractor? Yup, never seen a design like that before... ::)

From the small photo at the top of the page, I don't think there's much driver retention with that design...

Troy.
Your friendly neighborhood vegan heavy haul punk.

"Suzie-Q"

IMAGES COPYRIGHT TROY MILLER/ 10-4 MAGAZINE

Contributor 10-4 Magazine

Gary Smith

• Fleet eye for the Chicken guy
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 04:35:49 AM »
"For example, one of West’s students experimented with shortening the hood on a conventional tractor, moving the engine farther back over the steer axle. Not only did this reduce the surface area of the truck, thus lowering aerodynamic drag and improving fuel economy, but positioning the engine this way allowed for weight reductions as less frame support for the engine was needed. This further added to fuel efficiency gains."

From the small photo at the top of the page, I don't think there's much driver retention with that design...

Troy.

If the pay's the same what's the difference?
It's a Mack thing. you wouldn't understand.....

"Every highway, just beyond the high beams"

RedStapler

• Not Sure-Camacho 2016
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 12:04:41 PM »

Caught last year at ATHS.

My thoughts exactly. The Paymaster was an innovative solution to the tighter national length and weight limits of its day.  Given that post STAA you effectively have unlimited tractor length in the US market I don't see this catching on. Heck Argosy puttered along as a low volume niche product until the redesign costs for 07+ emissions killed it.

The "bling coefficient" of the truck is only part of the driver recruitment and retention equation. Hometime, compensation and work environment are all factors in additional to equipment.  At one end of the spectrum of drivers you have guys like me who are quite happy roll in their Brig, 320 or A9513.  On the other end you have guys who drive an ungoverned PimpRydeTM from Western Distributors for weak hometime and below average pay.

CarpeViam

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 12:15:59 PM »

Troy.
I was thinking Cab Over (updated version of a PB 372). What's funny though is many class 8 trucks already have a shorter BBC than 1/2 ton pick-ups (heck a standard cab Ranger is about 110" BBC).

norseman

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 01:24:35 PM »
If the pay's the same what's the difference?

Depends on the driver, I would imagine.

Jan.
"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper." - Mark Twain

Mackinac359

• Red Oval obsessed for over 35 years!
    • Tims Trucks - The Obsession
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 01:29:54 PM »
My take on this is that trucks as we know them will change in the future, and not that far off.
The next 5 to 10 years will change to face of trucking more than changes in the 70's through the 90's.

Fuel use, emissions and other regulations will mandate the engineering and thus the styling.   

I think we should enjoy what is here today, as it will be changing - it 10 years we'll be looking back at photo's saying "gosh, I haven't seen a W900 or 379 in years."

Tim

RedStapler

• Not Sure-Camacho 2016
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 02:12:29 PM »
Yes the traditional brick hood W900/389 may go the way of the Dodo. However you can still get a lot of styling into an aerodynamic truck.  The ProStar is proof that you can make a modern aerodynamic truck with historical Élan.

I think the long haul truck of 2021 will be along the lines of a ProStar or T660 with full aerodynamic kit on tractor and trailer.

coloradogreen

• 10-4 Magazine
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 02:43:25 PM »
I think the low-drag, hyper-aerodynamic trucks will be seen in the highway operations in the next decade or so, but, in vocational operations it might be longer before they're seen. Ground clearance needs are a big factor that will effect the fuel mileage, along with the irregularity of airflow over machines, logs, and vocational-type loads. Not to say vocational trucks won't become more aerodynamic, but, not to the degree of highway trucks.

There's something depressing about knowing that in 20 years you could be sitting at a truck stop, and the conversation begins with "When I got into this business we had to hook our own trailers and there was this big old stick coming out of the middle of the floor that you moved around to get going..."

Or maybe I'm just stubborn and pessimistic...

Troy.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 02:47:38 PM by coloradogreen »
Your friendly neighborhood vegan heavy haul punk.

"Suzie-Q"

IMAGES COPYRIGHT TROY MILLER/ 10-4 MAGAZINE

Contributor 10-4 Magazine

tranquileman

• Hidden Mountain Sanctuary
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 05:22:46 PM »

BTW Whoever Designed those trucks in that picture, Must Have been Looking At Hot Wheels Trucks  :-\

I guess they've never heard of Luigi Collani....

He was the Italian gent who designed those "praying mantis" looking things about 20 years ago.

(Just stopped for a quick bite so I don't have time to dig for pictures)
......If your going to be different, try not to be thin skinned.....

I hope they never find a cure for Eleutheromania

Ray F

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 05:27:47 PM »

I guess they've never heard of Luigi Collani....

He was the Italian gent who designed those "praying mantis" looking things about 20 years ago.

(Just stopped for a quick bite so I don't have time to dig for pictures)
Oh You Mean The Guy That Designed that Big ole' Mercedes Benz with The Windshield wipers that look like it came off off an Industrial Fan  ??? :-\

Moneyman01

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 11:49:03 PM »
That is one ugly truck. I dont think they will look like that. Im kinda thinking more like european truckd or trucks like a prostar. I do think its getting a little out of hand with these emissions and the looks of the trucks.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 11:49:03 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs