Author Topic: Confusing pair of road signs  (Read 770 times)

R Nagle

Confusing pair of road signs
« on: May 25, 2011, 04:57:46 PM »
So, which one takes precendence? "No Trucks" or "Trucks Use Lower Gear"?  ??? ??? ???

Anyone recognize where this pair of signs is located?

IowaSuperTrucker

• Regular Membership
    • http://truckinboy.slickpic.com/gallery/
Re: Confusing pair of road signs
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 06:47:15 PM »
I would say the No Trucks takes precedence.  The UseLowerGear can refer to a non-commercial truck, but still warning there is a downgrade up ahead.

Boll Weevil

• Regular Membership
  • "Ford W9000's rule!"-Boll Weevil, age 11
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 07:22:55 PM »
The only problem I see is that there is no meter next to the "No Parking" sign.

BTW, that location looks a lot like Canada. :P
Jim

JJG

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 11:44:46 PM »
I'm going to take a wild guess, the town of Homepayne?? Just because that's where you were  the other day! The irony of signs!!

Jim.

Jimmy B

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 12:25:56 AM »
It makes perfect sense, if you going to disregaurd the no trucks sign, than for goodness sake use lower gears...<LOL>

Jimmy B

R Nagle

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 05:46:03 PM »
This pair of signs is actually in Orillia at the top of Westmount Drive which is a "No Trucks" route due to the steep grade. About 20 years ago there was a fatality on Westmount Drive when a dump truck (if I remember correctly) lost control on the grade and crashed into a house.

Not visible to left of photo is a plaza containing a Zehrs grocery store and LCBO outlet. Because of the plaza layout trucks have to enter from Westmount Drive at an entrance partway down the hill, which is what the "Use Lower Gear" sign pertains to.

Still, I always find this pairing of signs a little strange!

granitefan713

• My Truck Picture Collection
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 07:26:47 PM »
Here's an odd sign I came upon. Now which route was I on again???????

bernie

• ihasablog
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 07:21:06 PM »
leaving the 10 mile rest area east of Golden, there is a yield sign with a merge sign directly below it, both on same pole.

Oso2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 01:53:58 PM »
Not visible to left of photo is a plaza containing a Zehrs grocery store and LCBO outlet. Because of the plaza layout trucks have to enter from Westmount Drive at an entrance partway down the hill, which is what the "Use Lower Gear" sign pertains to.

So the correct signage would be "No Trucks - local deliveries only."
"I like to fill my bath tub up with water, turn on the shower and pretend like I'm in a submarine that's been hit."

Steven Wright

norseman

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 02:46:09 PM »
Here's an odd sign I came upon. Now which route was I on again???????

Signs like this are a pretty common sight along the highways of the USA... I recall one short stretch of road in western Nebraska I was on that had all of five road numbers before some of them split off in different directions.  :)

Jan.
"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage." -Mark Twain

Felipe Garcia

• Regular Membership
    • FelipeGarcia | Aviation & Truck Photography
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 05:39:55 PM »
Same here. A particular stretch of I-17 in Phoenix carries the traffic of I-17, US-60 and I-10 Truck Route (Hazmat trucks cannot drive on a particular stretch of I-10, due to a long tunnel that's there I suppose), a stretch of I-40 also carries both I-40 an US-93
My website
Truck Photography, Mixers and more.
http://www.felipe-garcia.net
UPDATED 13JUL12

R Nagle

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 06:28:50 PM »
I recall a few of those "multiple route" sign clusters from when I travelled a lot of the northeast - even more confusing was when they all split off in different directions!   ??? ??? ???

Here is another view of the two signs on Westmount Drive, showing the Zehrs and LCBO stores. Truck entrance for deliveries is a little farther down the hill and out of photo - behind where headlights can be seen peeking over the crest of grade: