If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: IMHO, The truck capital of the United States is...  (Read 4520 times)

Mackinac359

• Red Oval obsessed for over 35 years!
    • Tims Trucks - The Obsession

Hank's Truck Forum

Re: IMHO, The truck capital of the United States is...
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 04:26:04 PM »

Rich Reinhart

• Regular Membership
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 06:08:19 PM »
i say long beach, CA. Over 10,000 tractor trailers drive on this road daily. do i need to say more?

Well yeah.......NJTP between Exit 11 and Exit 14 (15 mile stretch) handles 200,000 vehicles per day. Roughly a minimum of 12% (24,000) are trucks.

Agreed..I spent 10 minutes at Exit 7A on the New Jersey pike and counted over 150 trucks pass by me just in the northbound lanes..
Hell yeah son, I`ve driven a Superliner .....

Member ATCA and ATHS

rex012

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2011, 05:20:07 PM »
i say long beach, CA. Over 10,000 tractor trailers drive on this road daily. do i need to say more?

Well yeah.......NJTP between Exit 11 and Exit 14 (15 mile stretch) handles 200,000 vehicles per day. Roughly a minimum of 12% (24,000) are trucks.

if you put the 710 in to that perspective you have the santa fe rail road up the road and the longbeach/ san pedro harbors all within a twenty miles radius. the traffic is so bad at times it looks like a stationary parking lot the closer you get to the rail road the worse it gets rush hour is at 3 and you can be stuck for atleast 45 min trying to move a mile . The railroad alone has over 15,000 in coming or out going while the long beach harbor rush around is early morning like at 7 trucks are lined up miles backed up waiting to enter the piers. The 710 is just a 23 mile freeway running from east los angeles to long beach seeing a combined vehicle count of over 275,000 a day. pretty impressive huh ??? no wonder it was the top transited freeway  in the US a year or two ago..

Rafael Perez

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 12:18:30 PM »
I'll say New Jersey and Pennsylvania! ;D

Philatruck

• Watch For Trucks!
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 12:48:24 PM »
I think Philadelphia and greater Philadelphia ( Buck County/King of Prussia area for example) is where I see the most truck activity. There are lots of trucks in NJ I do have to agree, especially in the Camden Area.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 12:53:54 PM by Philatruck »
- Philatruck. Greetings From the Keystone State !

Chris_E

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 06:44:38 PM »
I think Philadelphia and greater Philadelphia ( Buck County/King of Prussia area for example) is where I see the most truck activity. There are lots of trucks in NJ I do have to agree, especially in the Camden Area.

Despite being from this area, I'm inclined to disagree.  This place is DEAD on weekends.  When I got to my grandparent's house on weekends traveling I-95, I probably can count the number of trucks I see on one hand.  When I got to visit my other grandpop in North Jersey, we take the NJTP and I usually see at least 100 trucks if not more.
The foot turned to the horse, the horse to the carriage, the carriage to the train, and the train to the truck.

Jimmy B

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2011, 01:18:30 AM »

To me all the different areas I have been are equally interesting in their own way, so I'll leave that up to the more opinionated people, hehe. :D

Jan.

I'm an opinionated fellow, but I absolutely agree with your statement, each region has it's interesting facets that make for great truck spotting.  Also if anything, the regional aspect of trucking has taken a back seat with the overall homogenization of the industry compared to 20, 30 and 40 years ago. Somewhat do to the big mega McCarriers and the uniformity in federal rule making filtering down to the state level. I mean, a Swift semi looks the same whether it's in New Jersey or California. Now give me one of those Mack red and green painted heating oil trucks from the east, wow. Or a COE truck and trailer bull wagon out west, another wow. Anyway, I think most will get my drift.

I'd also like to interject that busiest, may not always be the best. I'll let the crowd decide where the capital of trucking is while I'm out taking photos no matter where I go...

Jimmy B

norseman

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2011, 02:06:31 AM »
I'd also like to interject that busiest, may not always be the best.

I will have to agree with that statement for sure. Sometimes quality beats quantity all to heck. ;)

Jan.
"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper." - Mark Twain

Mackinac359

• Red Oval obsessed for over 35 years!
    • Tims Trucks - The Obsession
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2011, 03:22:24 AM »
Let me say this - the truck capitol for spotting trucks is always the place that I am not at when I have a good vantage point and a fully charged camera. :-\

Tim

Rich Reinhart

• Regular Membership
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2011, 07:39:39 PM »
I'd also like to interject that busiest, may not always be the best.

I will have to agree with that statement for sure. Sometimes quality beats quantity all to heck. ;)

Jan.

True and thats my main thing, I can take you to out of the way places to watch Diamond Reo Tri axles and R Model milk trucks..That beats a TL fleet any day

Member ATCA and ATHS

Jimmy B

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2011, 12:49:02 AM »
Rich,

That was my point, the drift of what I was trying to say, doesn't matter where I am, I'm going to be taking photos and it will be of what makes a region just a little bit different than the rest of the country. And, if I ever get back east, I'd certainly call on you for pointers on where to go and what to look out for...

Jimmy B

Rich Reinhart

• Regular Membership
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2011, 01:38:47 PM »
Rich,

That was my point, the drift of what I was trying to say, doesn't matter where I am, I'm going to be taking photos and it will be of what makes a region just a little bit different than the rest of the country. And, if I ever get back east, I'd certainly call on you for pointers on where to go and what to look out for...

Jimmy B

I agree..I love the southern California grocery haulers and the oil field rigs in west Texas.. The main point I was driving at is what do you think the "capital" is and why? Love to see what others have.

Jimmy if you ever make it here I will personally drive you to all the good spots and buy you lunch in the Philadelphia sandwich establishment of your choice..

Member ATCA and ATHS

HuntFlatbed

• Just Trying To Keep Up With The Real Truckers.....
    • My RR Pics
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2011, 04:17:20 PM »
I humbly submit my area.  I am nearly at the junction of I-80 and I-29.  I have all the East-West traffic on I-80 and the North-South traffic on I-29. 

c.j. hall

• Regular Membership
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2011, 08:50:59 PM »
I say Fontana California is truck capital also,

Ray F

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2011, 09:20:00 PM »
US30 in Lancaster Should be in the Top 10 List IMO !!!!  8)

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2011, 09:20:00 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs