If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: IMHO, The truck capital of the United States is...  (Read 4518 times)

Rich Reinhart

• Regular Membership
IMHO, The truck capital of the United States is...
« on: April 27, 2011, 08:09:53 PM »
New Jersey. I spend quite a bit of time in the Garden State every week and the collection of trucks always blows me away. Every size, type and vintage can be seen every day.
Hell yeah son, I`ve driven a Superliner .....

Member ATCA and ATHS

Hank's Truck Forum

IMHO, The truck capital of the United States is...
« on: April 27, 2011, 08:09:53 PM »

coloradogreen

• 10-4 Magazine
Re: IMHO, The truck capital of the United States is...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 08:12:10 PM »
This thread oughta' be interesting...

Troy.
Your friendly neighborhood vegan heavy haul punk.

"Suzie-Q"

IMAGES COPYRIGHT TROY MILLER/ 10-4 MAGAZINE

Contributor 10-4 Magazine

Pascal Pion

• Regular Membership
  • St Hyacinthe,Quebec,Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 08:14:20 PM »
Michigan. The busiest border crossing between Canada and the USA is Detroit so you can imagine how many truck per day goes in and out of Michigan...
War is the terrible ransom that humanity has to pay for it's stupidity...
                  Lt Col Charly Forbes,WW2 hero
                   Maisonneuve Regiment

doug mckenzie

• Regular Membership
  • Doug McKenzie
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 08:53:22 PM »
Michigan. The busiest border crossing between Canada and the USA is Detroit so you can imagine how many truck per day goes in and out of Michigan...

Naaah ,,,,,,,,,

Joisey by far.

Detroit/Windsor might be the busiest border crossing, but traffic's been down in numbers for some time now.
Right-wing Old School.

Chris_E

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 07:24:04 AM »
 Interesting thread, indeed.  I'd agree with NJ, especially the northern part.
The foot turned to the horse, the horse to the carriage, the carriage to the train, and the train to the truck.

Rick Sousa

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 07:37:35 AM »
I agree with Jerzee ( in the East) especially Sunday nights trying to get over the GW northbound. The City of Angels (in the West) it is a big country :-\

CarpeViam

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 07:53:54 AM »
I propose 2 options:

1) Dallas/Fort Worth for having large assembly plants for 2 different OEM's and the headquarters for one of them: Peterbilt (plant and headquarters) in Denton and International's SST plant in Garland.

2) Louisville, KY the location of MATS, arguably the most important show for all the North America truck OEM's. The show where most new models are unveiled.

norseman

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 08:45:22 AM »
2) Louisville, KY the location of MATS, arguably the most important show for all the North America truck OEM's. The show where most new models are unveiled.

Not sure about Louisville. Yeah, I hear ya on the show and all, but there isn't a decent truck stop anywhere near the place, and the truck capital of the US surely needs to have at least one decent truck stop...?

I really have no opinion on what the truck capital of the US is. To me all the different areas I have been are equally interesting in their own way, so I'll leave that up to the more opinionated people, hehe. :D

Jan.
"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper." - Mark Twain

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 12:12:26 PM »
New Jersey. I spend quite a bit of time in the Garden State every week and the collection of trucks always blows me away. Every size, type and vintage can be seen every day.[/co

I gotta go along with Rich's statement and not just because i live in the Garden State.  Having a north south route (I-95) that sees traffic from Quebec & the Maritimes as well as Florida and the rest of the south running up and down the east coast 24/7/365 is a big plus.

From an east west perspective I-80, I-78 and the PATP bring an extradorinary amount of truck traffic from the west coast, southwest and the plains not only to NJ but to other neighboring states. Add the ports and several large industrial parks and sooner or later you'll see just about everything you're looking for truckwise here (providing it's legal).

rex012

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 12:34:57 PM »
i say long beach, CA. over 8 million loaded containers are hauled out of here. the net worth is estimated at over 140 billion dollars. Its on the busiest stretch of US highway: the 710 interstate highway. Over 10,000 tractor trailers drive on this road daily. it provides over 800 million dollars plus a year of transportation revenue..... do i need to say more?

Running Pete

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 01:13:27 PM »
Denton, Texas. ;D

Chris_E

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 01:14:10 PM »
You could argue that any city with a port is a large hub for truck traffic.  I think Philadelphia has an insane amount of trucks, but PA is a fairly large state and a lot of it's either farmland or wooded area.  So I wouldn't say it was the truck capital of the world.  I thought Iowa could be considered it because of Iowa 80, but other than that, you don't really hear about Iowa all that much.
The foot turned to the horse, the horse to the carriage, the carriage to the train, and the train to the truck.

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 01:25:55 PM »
i say long beach, CA. Over 10,000 tractor trailers drive on this road daily. do i need to say more?

Well yeah.......NJTP between Exit 11 and Exit 14 (15 mile stretch) handles 200,000 vehicles per day. Roughly a minimum of 12% (24,000) are trucks.

coloradogreen

• 10-4 Magazine
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 01:53:03 PM »
From a historical perspective, I'll throw Denver's hat in the ring. Aside from being the headquarters of some of the biggest, most famous trucking companies, Denver was also a hub for many carriers due to the length-restriction change... Navajo, P.I.E., Ringsby, ICX, and many other's were headquartered or had major hubs in Denver... and if we're speaking on a state-wide level then Greeley will have Monfort on the list, too.

But, recently, Colorado has become less truck friendly, so, I'm not sure we could contend as the truck capital currently. Historically, however, I think we're in the running.

Troy.
Your friendly neighborhood vegan heavy haul punk.

"Suzie-Q"

IMAGES COPYRIGHT TROY MILLER/ 10-4 MAGAZINE

Contributor 10-4 Magazine

Rick Sousa

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 02:11:43 PM »
My recollection of Colorado would be Watson Bros., Rio Grand Motorways,City Markets and Safeway intrastate and beyond..  Like you mentioned the West opened up from there almost every carrier heading West went through there or Cheyenne or Albuquerque back in the day.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 02:11:43 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs