Author Topic: Lookin for a new truck-Best bang for the buck  (Read 9506 times)

LocalCoilHauler

• A Dirty Truck is a Working Truck
Lookin for a new truck-Best bang for the buck
« on: March 26, 2011, 10:22:16 AM »
So what do you guys think is the best truck to buy right now? Durable, fuel efficient, low maintenance, stylish, appealing, long lasting, efficient, and most profitable- Best bang for the buck? I wanted to hear your guys' opinions!!
It's Appearance might be Half yours but it's Reliability might be Twice yours!!

MAC Trailers - The Best of the Best!!

Reliable Randy

Re: Lookin for a new truck-Best bang for the buck
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 11:09:02 AM »
Does anyone make a truck like that anymore?  ???

Running Pete

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 11:54:50 AM »
Peterbilt 386, wait I'm 16 and biased, nevermind. ;D
It's hard to beat a Pete...

doug mckenzie

• Regular Membership
  • Doug McKenzie
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 11:57:29 AM »

Fitzgerald Glider.
Right-wing Old School.

convoyduel

• Home of the original Rubber Duck truck
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 12:23:20 PM »
The best truck depends on your needs.  Without the details, its like asking, "what's the best length for a piece of rope?"

LoneStar

• The Con-way Guy
    • Photobucket Album
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 12:27:08 PM »
Based from reviews on newer trucks, here is what I have gathered:

International ProStar

Very fuel efficient, compares well to the Freightliner Cascadia. You can find these trucks at a cheaper price than the competition, but probably with fewer options. ProStar has a wide range of options to fit the driver's needs, so you would have to shop around.
The new Maxxforce engines are very quiet, the Cummins engine is also very quiet in this truck. The ProStar has a comfortable, "car-like" feel while driving it, and the styling isn't bad for an Aerodynamic Model truck. Interior is very spacious and the sky-rise version will comfortably accommodate two adults. Easy to clean and maintain inside and out.

Freightliner Cascadia

Good solid ride, new models have a lot of bugs to work out, but what new truck doesn't? Good gas mileage, not really any difference than the ProStar competition. Roomy and comfortably interior if you get more of an O/O package, and prices are also not too high. Easy to drive, large turning radius for a full size sleeper truck. Condo sleeper is comfortable. Only complaints I've heard on the sleeper is that sometimes they have air leaks while driving, or water leaks in bad rain through the top windows.

Volvo VN670/VN780

Both models are very roomy and comfortable. Drivers that I have talked to that drive one for a company say they are one of the most comfortable trucks out there. Cummins engine is the way to go on these trucks. Styling is great, maintenance is about the same as on every "Aero" truck. Haven't gotten any negative comments about them. Prices are a bit higher than on ProStar and Cascadia. Build quality is a little better.

As far as PACCAR trucks go, you really can't go wrong with any of them. It all depends on styling for you and gas mileage. The Aero models will get better gas mileage, but you can't beat the traditional look of the 388/389. The Kenworth T660 is a really good truck, no complaints about the styling or performance of the T660.

As far as my opinion, I like the Volvo's a lot for an Owner Operator truck. Those and the T660 are my top picks. Good luck on the find.

Thanks to roogie for the Photo!

Running Pete

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 12:30:49 PM »
Convoyduel has the most valid point that was brought up I think. And as far as styling and looks, that's all personal preferance, maybe the one that appeals to the most?
It's hard to beat a Pete...

CarpeViam

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 02:07:13 PM »
Peterbilt 386, wait I'm 16 and biased, nevermind. ;D
If the engine options in the 384 will meet your needs, the 384 is more fuel efficient than the 386. Also, with the shorter BBC it will turn better and have greater visability.

However, as stated before it depends on what the intended use for the truck is.

LocalCoilHauler

• A Dirty Truck is a Working Truck
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 02:08:43 PM »
The best truck depends on your needs. 
I am "recommending" a class 8 truck that will haul heavy steel
As far as PACCAR trucks go, you really can't go wrong with any of them. It all depends on styling for you and gas mileage. The Aero models will get better gas mileage, but you can't beat the traditional look of the 388/389. The Kenworth T660 is a really good truck, no complaints about the styling or performance of the T660.

As far as my opinion, I like the Volvo's a lot for an Owner Operator truck. Those and the T660 are my top picks. Good luck on the find.
These were actually going to be my narrowed recommendations. I think The best one out of these would be a T660 from Kenworth. They look like hard working trucks when I see them, stylish, and at the same time are Areodynamic (Maybe not) as a cascadia or Prostar. I don't know about Volvo. I know a lot of owner ops have them for hwy (Which is their best application) but for a steel hauler them seem like a big wide truck that doen't look to friendly in a tight Steel warehouse or yard. I would like to get a Peterbilt 389 badly but to be honest it looks like a gas guzzler (Isn't too areodynamic). What about Western Star trucks? Are they problematic? I know they are not Areodynamic most of the time but I was just wonderin about their performance!
It's Appearance might be Half yours but it's Reliability might be Twice yours!!

MAC Trailers - The Best of the Best!!

Ray F

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 02:12:19 PM »
IMO Two Words For Ya' ..........

OLD Trucks !!!!!

'NUFF SAID  8)

krooser

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 03:12:37 PM »
Peterbilt 389 glider kit with a 6NZ pre-emission CAT engine. No DPF, SCR, EGR, IOU, PDF, FBI, KMA, WTF....

Fishhook

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 03:48:58 PM »
Peterbilt 389 glider kit with a 6NZ pre-emission CAT engine. No DPF, SCR, EGR, IOU, PDF, FBI, KMA, WTF....

Hammer Time

• Global Moderator
  • Technical Advisor
    • Owner Operators Connect
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 05:14:38 PM »

+1

or a FLD glider would suffice as well. Parts would be cheaper and more readily available for the FLD.

convoyduel

• Home of the original Rubber Duck truck
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 05:34:17 PM »
With $4+ fuel, your first objective should be fuel efficiency, followed by resale value.  Most trucks are in the same price range new, but resale will vary by $30K or more after just a few years.  The trucks mentioned all have no resale value to speak of and the market is flooded with fleet versions.  A truck that has value in a second/ third life as a potential daycab conversion has historically been the best at retaining its resale.  I would never buy a one-piece large cab truck like the Volvo, Cascadia, T700/T2000 or 387.

Kenworth has a very high resale value on the T6 and the increased fuel economy over several years will more than make up for the difference in resale value compared to a large car W9.  The Peterbilt 384 and 386 also are good. 

Used can be the best value but many carriers or companies require a truck to be less than 6 or 7 years old.  I would also lean heavily towards buying a Fitzgerald glider with a 6NZ rebuilt Cat, but as a glider, you usually cannot finance and ther resale is lower.  I would buy to keep and run for 30 years, so a glider isn't a problem for me.

Steel hauling is a good clue to what you're doing, but what's your intended length of ownership.     

LoneStar

• The Con-way Guy
    • Photobucket Album
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 12:11:07 AM »
T660 and 386/384 are practically the same truck. Both are high in resale and get good fuel mileage.

Western Stars are expensive, I would expect the same gas mileage as a 389 or a W900 since it shares the square, longhood concept.

Thanks to roogie for the Photo!