Author Topic: NAVAJO FREIGHT LINES --" NAVAJO BROTHERHOOD CARAVAN "---December 1947  (Read 6965 times)

Jerry Austin

Re: NAVAJO FREIGHT LINES --" NAVAJO BROTHERHOOD CARAVAN "---December 1947
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2011, 09:43:02 AM »
"THE NAVAJO CODE TALKERS: OUR HEROES"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JPIeyBPum0
"THE RUMBLE OF THE DIESEL, THE SHIFTIN' OF THE GEARS! THE RHYTHM WHEN HE'S MOVIN' IS MUSIC TO HIS EARS! CANNONBALL! CANNONBALL!"

Jerry Austin

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 09:52:03 AM by Jerry Austin »
"THE RUMBLE OF THE DIESEL, THE SHIFTIN' OF THE GEARS! THE RHYTHM WHEN HE'S MOVIN' IS MUSIC TO HIS EARS! CANNONBALL! CANNONBALL!"

Jerry Austin

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2011, 12:07:22 PM »
Imagine, if you will, that the vintage rig seen here was a "NAVAJO" truck.......

"WIND-TALKER OF THE HIGHWAY"

".......with its mighty engine growling in diesel-driven defiance, the hulking rig barrels down a lonely highway......a highway that, in itself, communes with the proud and noble spirits of an ancient people.

".......the sulfurous snarls of this arrogant, man-made beast echo off of the barren rocks, gouged and scarred by the eons......the din of the diesel becoming one with the unseen wind......melding.....blending.....communing.....

".......the powerful voice of a mighty machine talks with the wind in a restless manner..........talks with the spirits of noble men.....proud men......men whose past is rich with nobility......dignity......and courage......

".......yes, my friends.......listen.....if you have the heart to hear......to the 'Wind Talker Of The Highway' !"

Jerry Austin

3/22/11

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 12:08:58 PM by Jerry Austin »

eymurphey

• When we see what we want to see, and hear what we
    • "I'M LIKING TRUCKS"
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2011, 03:43:05 PM »
A few other trucking participants --

ENLARGEMENT OF LIFE PHOTO --- LOOMIS DEAN, photographer

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 03:49:28 PM by eymurphey »

"I'M LIKING TRUCKS"  ---- http://georgedennis.blogspot.com/

" We shall learn more & more about less & less until we know everything about nothing"

Jerry Austin

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2011, 04:10:24 PM »
Hey, George:

Another idea:

If you were able to contact a NAVAJO (trucking) historian, someone that would have access to the older, more obscure items, perhaps they might haVe further info/photos on the "CARAVAN".

Just a thought.....

Jerry

Jerry Austin

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2011, 04:14:06 PM »
George:

This one might be a LONG shot of LONG shots, BUT.....MAYBE....just MAYBE.....they might be able to point you in the right direction.....

http://www.pacificnwtruckmuseum.org/Links.html

eymurphey

• "I'M LIKING TRUCKS"
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2011, 09:52:19 AM »
Imagine, if you will, that the vintage rig seen here was a "NAVAJO" truck.......

"WIND-TALKER OF THE HIGHWAY"

".......with its mighty engine growling in diesel-driven defiance, the hulking rig barrels down a lonely highway......a highway that, in itself, communes with the proud and noble spirits of an ancient people.

".......the sulfurous snarls of this arrogant, man-made beast echo off of the barren rocks, gouged and scarred by the eons......the din of the diesel becoming one with the unseen wind......melding.....blending.....communing.....

".......the powerful voice of a mighty machine talks with the wind in a restless manner..........talks with the spirits of noble men.....proud men......men whose past is rich with nobility......dignity......and courage......

".......yes, my friends.......listen.....if you have the heart to hear......to the 'Wind Talker Of The Highway' !"

Jerry Austin

3/22/11

POETIC JUSTICE EXEMPLIFIED -- EXCELLENT PIECE

" We shall learn more & more about less & less until we know everything about nothing"

Jerry Austin

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2011, 10:10:20 AM »
Hey, George:

Thank! :)

I try......... ;)

Jerry

eymurphey

• "I'M LIKING TRUCKS"
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2011, 12:04:55 PM »
A PETERBILT 350  as used by NAVAJO, same type as shown in the caravan pictures --

eymurphey

• "I'M LIKING TRUCKS"
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2011, 12:31:49 PM »
An interesting article that is in part about how the United States finally released funding to alleviate the plight of the NAVAJO in 1947 --

http://spynews.byethost13.com/ungrateful.html  
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 03:54:04 PM by eymurphey »

Jerry Austin

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2011, 01:22:24 PM »
Hey, George:

It still truly astounds me as to just how little material on NAVAJO (truck) history there is on the 'net.

You would think that, a company as famed and well-known as they were, that there would be more historical data, photos, etc. out there.

Still quite frankly amazed there is no "NAVAJO" enthusiasts/historical organization (at least that we know of)........

Jerry

eymurphey

• "I'M LIKING TRUCKS"
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2011, 04:05:52 PM »
I have put in requests to the main library in Albuquerque, N.M. and also the ATHS for any information and pictures they might have from resources in their care about this event. It must have been covered by local media, so I am hoping other photos exist.

Jerry Austin

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2011, 05:05:22 PM »

I think you've got bases pretty well covered!

It is too bad that it is virtually impossible for you to research old newsreel footage; back in those days, virtually anything deemed newsworthy made it into the newsreels, so, IMHO, it is not too farfetched in the least to speculate on the "CARAVAN" being filmed for a newsreel.

Good job, so far, my friend!

Jerry

eymurphey

• "I'M LIKING TRUCKS"
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2011, 07:22:16 AM »
Just found this and don't want to waste a good picture. This NAVAJO FREIGHT LINES truck rendition is from a matchbook of the late 50's ---

Jerry Austin

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2011, 09:36:43 AM »
MOST APPROPRIATE ILLUSTRATION!!! :) :)