If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Do you remember them ?  (Read 7311 times)

G. Laplante

• Regular Membership
Do you remember them ?
« on: March 16, 2011, 05:26:40 AM »
Transforce is a relatively new name in transportation. The company took this name in 1999 but is history was started well before that. The whole thing  began in 1957 when Renaud Emond bought his first truck in Cabano in Lower St-Lawrence region. In 1962 he made his first acquisition, a small trucking company from New Brunswick. Over   more than 50 years of history hundred of small , medium and even big trucking companies were taken over to make the actual giant . We have to consider Cabano and later Transforce  acquisitions but  quite a few of the carriers  they have bought over the years  had made  lot of acquisitions on  their own. Just think about Brazeau, Expeditex, Clarke Quebec division, Kingsway, companies of the Bussieres Group, Highland, TST    to name a few.  

Most of those carriers  have been merged in the big melting pot . So I think it would be nice just to  have a place where we can share some pics and informations so we can remember.  Once in a while I will make some addition in this thread but  all of you can add pics and a few informations about a  carrier you want us to remember.

L'Islet Express was a small carrier based in L'Islet Qc. In 2001 the company was taken over by the Bussieres  Group and merge with Expediteur Japiro from Montmagny . The year after, Bussieres sold both of them to Transforce were they were merged with others assets to become Transport Select.

Transport Leblanc was a nice small carrier based in Warwick Qc. Mostly a regional carrier but with 4-5 trucks on the long haul. They were taken over by TFI in 2003 and  merge with Transport Select.

Transport Lebon from Chicoutimi was bought in 1998. They were a bulk hauler but they had some van activities too. They were run as a TFI division for a few years than  they were merged in Kingsway Bulk when TFI decided to regroup all of his bulk transportation operations.

I can not remember the year ( 2005 ??? ) when TFI took over the tank division of Canadian-American Transportation ( CAT) from Coteau-du-Lac Qc. They were merge in the Kingsway Bulk operations.

It was in 2002 that DPM, a small carrier from Pont-Rouge Qc was taken over. They were regrouped  with another acquisition, Les Entreprises Yves Labonté (EYL) from Victoriaville and placed under the management of Transport JC Germain from Trois-Rivieres.

Hank's Truck Forum

Do you remember them ?
« on: March 16, 2011, 05:26:40 AM »

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
Re: Do you remember them ?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 05:40:30 AM »
Excellent topic Gerard.
I wish I had more "before" pictures. The ones I have are shown on the Main Website.
Thanks for sharing these.

Kingsway

Cabano Kingsway

barraclou

• On the road again
    • Barraclou.com/truck
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 01:38:44 PM »
Transport Leblanc was a nice small carrier based in Warwick Qc. Mostly a regional carrier but with 4-5 trucks on the long haul. They were taken over by TFI in 2003 and  merge with Transport Select.

Leblanc was a little bigger than that. Maybe two dozen trucks at one time, but they had issue in the office by the end and lost some business. They expanded a lot when Transport Michel and Intercan went out of business. At that time, they were one of the two main local players in the Bois-Francs region (the other one was Boutin / Transat).

dalejrfan

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 04:39:24 PM »
Great thread guys I will be looking forward to the history lessons

G. Laplante

• Regular Membership
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 01:01:02 PM »
Kruger Papers  had their own private fleet, with a distinctive livery ,  for decades .  Around year 2000 they started to have problems with the union and in the summer of 2001 they took the decision  to get out of the transportation field and  take a public carriers for their transportation needs. They sold their private fleet to Transport Papineau and gave  them the transportation contract  starting in November of 2001. They still have a few day cab trucks at their Montreal DC for local delivery but  all the long haul was given to Papineau.

Here is a few pics of their long haul trucks. Their fleet was a mix of International, Freightliner and Kenworth . The following pics were taken in the spring of 2001.

Papineau Transport took over in November of 2001. For a very short period of them, we have seen some Kruger trucks and trailers mixed with Papineau equipments . But very quickly Kruger equipment was repaint or sold and only regular Papineau was seen. The following pic was taken in November of 2001, days after Papineau took over.

Rigmover

• Regular Membership
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 12:22:41 PM »
Hi i went through the merger with Kingsway & Cabano in 1992 and Cabano was a Trans Force Company then as i recall they are huge now buying up everybody LOL...

barraclou

• On the road again
    • Barraclou.com/truck
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 11:40:54 AM »
It is strange that you posted in that thread, because I was browsing the Transforce website on my lunch time, I saw listings for some of the acquired businesses, but what matters the most is that I noticed quite a few names are gone from the operating companies list recently (since last year): D. Donnelly, Epic Express, Select-Daily/Select-Thibodeau/Thibodeau/T.A.T. Express and Watson are gone.

Ok, Select-Daily/Select-Thibodeau and Epic Express have been merged into Kingsway, but what happened to Donnelly and Watson? I can figure Donnelly could have gone in the Kingsway Bulk Division operations, but I am still searching where's Watson now?

Also, they changed corporate/contact address for several others. Here's what I noticed:
-Canadian Freightways has left Burnaby,BC for Rockyview,AB,
-Westfreight has moved from Rockyview to 84 Street SE in Calgary,
-Click Express went South of Burnaby,BC to Tukwila,WA,
-Hemphill Speedy has changed its Colorado address,
-Howard's is now in Stony Plain,AB,
-Kingsway has moved to the Interport complex on Dixie Rd in Mississauga,
-Landry has left St.Noel,QC for Rimouski,
-TST Load Brokerage has joined the other TST divisions in Windsor,
-UTL has moved crosstown from 128A Ave to 76th Ave in Edmonton and
-Winalta has left 215th Street in Edmonton for nearby Spruce Groove.

Lots of changes since last year!

6X6KW

• Regular Membership
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 04:02:50 PM »
I'll try to post some Kruger Paper pics.

Pipeman

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 05:51:44 PM »
Federal Industries of Winnipeg spun off the Eastern portion of Kingsway to Cabano. Federal also had Tri=Line, White Pass, Motorways.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 05:51:44 PM »