If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: "HOLLYWOOD HAULIN' " (LA OR BUST!)  (Read 40500 times)

Jerry Austin

Re: "HOLLYWOOD HAULIN' " (LA OR BUST!)
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2011, 12:28:53 PM »
Note "PACIFIC FREIGHT LINES" rig (bottom row, center); company was LA based (ad dates to 1939)

"THE RUMBLE OF THE DIESEL, THE SHIFTIN' OF THE GEARS! THE RHYTHM WHEN HE'S MOVIN' IS MUSIC TO HIS EARS! CANNONBALL! CANNONBALL!"

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2011, 12:28:53 PM »

hwyhaulier

« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2011, 12:35:21 PM »
Vern:

As wbache mentioned BEKINS once-strong presence in LA many years back, I thought I would post that montage, if only to recall the variety of
equipment once familiar in the greater LA area.

No matter, deleted the post.......sorry if it was not "on topic"....... 

Jerry -

The point of all of it being: So many old photos! So much begging for explanatory comment beyond
what we already see!

The "montage" views probably OK up to a point. Absent explanatory comment, which may accompany
the selection, it lacks much impact? So many photos here, crying for some more notation. There is a
great deal of reason why the trucks lettered exactly as they were...

In one of the earlier items (not in the montage), depicts what we had in the West in the 1960s, and
"Bridge Formula" in application. A pair of a tractor (with 30' OAL) paired with a trailer of 35', all in at
60' OAL! This wasn't done in the East! (In the East, "scrunched up" small trucks, up real tight to the
trailer!) (Eastern Trucks comedic?)

......................Vern.....................

Jerry Austin

« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2011, 12:36:49 PM »
Here'a a pair of 1930's vintage STERLINGS of "PACIFIC FREIGHT LINES"; in the 50's, this company was bought out by "PACIFIC MOTOR TRUCKING" ("SOUTHERN PACIFIC TRUCK SERVICE").........

"THE RUMBLE OF THE DIESEL, THE SHIFTIN' OF THE GEARS! THE RHYTHM WHEN HE'S MOVIN' IS MUSIC TO HIS EARS! CANNONBALL! CANNONBALL!"

Jerry Austin

« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2011, 12:41:19 PM »
Vern:

As wbache mentioned BEKINS once-strong presence in LA many years back, I thought I would post that montage, if only to recall the variety of
equipment once familiar in the greater LA area.

No matter, deleted the post.......sorry if it was not "on topic".......  

Jerry -

The point of all of it being: So many old photos! So much begging for explanatory comment beyond
what we already see!

The "montage" views probably OK up to a point. Absent explanatory comment, which may accompany
the selection, it lacks much impact? So many photos here, crying for some more notation. There is a
great deal of reason why the trucks lettered exactly as they were...

In one of the earlier items (not in the montage), depicts what we had in the West in the 1960s, and
"Bridge Formula" in application. A pair of a tractor (with 30' OAL) paired with a trailer of 35', all in at
60' OAL! This wasn't done in the East! (In the East, "scrunched up" small trucks, up real tight to the
trailer!) (Eastern Trucks comedic?)

......................Vern.....................

Vern........

You forget that I am far, far removed from being the expert in the field that you are; therefore, all I have to go by are photo captions, which (as you and I both know), are often quite lacking in important data/details, etc.

Too, as you were an integral part of this sector for many years, you only have to remember your past experiences of your days "on the job"! ("INSIDER'S INFO"!)<G>

When at all possible, I try to include as much revelent data as is supplied via photo captions.

It DOES indeed make for some puzzling guesswork, at best!

Jerry
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 12:44:21 PM by Jerry Austin »

Jerry Austin

« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2011, 12:55:26 PM »
"ESPEE" DIAMOND "T".........

Jerry Austin

« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2011, 01:18:50 PM »
This 1947 ad reminds me of a publicity blurb for "THEY DRIVE BY NIGHT".........

« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 01:20:49 PM by Jerry Austin »

wbache

« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2011, 01:46:30 PM »
"TEXAS-ARIZONA MOTOR FREIGHT", which was organized in 1936, operated between Texas and LA.......

The picture of the TA rig is interesting especially if you look at the front of the trailer which has a logo for Sunset Motor Lines below the TA logo. Sunset did not run into LA so possibly there were some pool trailers involved.  Sunset was merged into  the VCS (Valley-Copperstate-Sunset-Pierce) system and later bought out by ETMF.  At least part of TA was bought out by Leeway in the mid to late 60's and since neither ran on I 40 Leeway had a closed door route connecting their routes directly to LA via I40 and(US66). After the buyout I came across a TA rig in Sullivan MO one day and apparently they had retained some of their authority.

Jerry Austin

« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2011, 03:49:57 PM »
Hey, wbache:

Greatly appreciate this additional (and interesting) info; photo captions only tell you so much!

This stuff sure makes for great trivia!

Jerry

Jerry Austin

« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2011, 04:08:49 PM »
wbache/all:

See how things can get tricky for those of us "not in the know"?

wbache just shared some interesting historical information on "Sunset Motor LINES"; here's a picture of a FAGEOL operated by "Sunset Motor FREIGHT:.

This company (later bought out by LEE & EASTES) handled most of the freight between Seattle and the Yakima Valley.

See the difference ONE WORD can make when doing research?? ::)

More than a LITTLE misleading to those of us (myself included!) "not in the know"........ :o

Jerry

Jerry Austin

« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2011, 04:10:46 PM »
Another view of the same truck.......

Jerry Austin

« Reply #85 on: March 07, 2011, 04:38:09 PM »
"GARRETT FREIGHT LINES" tandem KENWORTH, seen at Los Angeles, posed in front of the "FIRESTONE BUILDING"..........

« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 06:16:47 PM by Jerry Austin »

Jerry Austin

« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2011, 04:40:31 PM »
See also........

Jerry Austin

« Reply #87 on: March 07, 2011, 05:04:47 PM »
A particulary stunning publicity photo of a "GARRETT" KENWORTH.........

Jerry Austin

« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2011, 05:10:58 PM »
1930's "WEBER TRAILER & MANUFACTURING CO." (Los Angeles) photo......

Jerry Austin

« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2011, 05:28:25 PM »
Here's another 1930's photo from "WEBER TRAILER & MANUFACTURING COMPANY" of Los Angeles......

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2011, 05:28:25 PM »