If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Launceston Tramway Museum Society.  (Read 3522 times)

werkhorse

• Global Moderator
    • TruckMadPeople
Launceston Tramway Museum Society.
« on: January 30, 2011, 03:16:38 AM »
Recently my son, aka LittleWerker, wanted to go to the local museum to see the Planetarium and a few other things. So off we trundled, Found a parking spot, and proceeded to head toward the Museum. Thats where the whole plan changed. He spotted tram No.29 sitting outside the Tram museum, which I was unaware was open. Here is what we found.

So with just a little bit of encouragment 'Mum' was convinced that it was more important  than the regular museum.

Here is the whole tram with its trailing power module, as where the museum is situated they can't put in overhead wiring.

So for a dollar a ride we had a ball going back and forth along the 1km or so long tram line that has been set up.
Here is the 'driver seat'

The park brake (large wheel) has been replaced with the air valve just behind it for OH&S reasons.

Some interior shots

The bell.

No.29 was the last tram built in Launceston and was 1 of 3 built as a Bogie tram, all the other 26 being built as single truck trams. here is a side on shot.

It stopped at the other end  for people to wander over to the old Launceston round house, so I took the chance to snap a few more shots.

They even have a tram stop sign.

So finally  they had to park the tram inside  as it was time to go home......Day goes quick when your having fun......and this was the parting shot for the day. from memory that is tram no.1 being restored on the right.

I didn't get any shots inside the museum as there quite a few people in there and it was very hard to get a decent shot....so I gave up trying. then it was off to see what we had intended to see.....we only just made the last timeslot for the planetarium......but it was just as much fun as the tram, so a good day was had by all.

Here is the link to the museums website for those who are interested in finding out the full history of our Launceston Trams.
http://www.ltms.org.au/

Hank's Truck Forum

Launceston Tramway Museum Society.
« on: January 30, 2011, 03:16:38 AM »

Ray F

Re: Launceston Tramway Museum Society.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 04:28:24 AM »
Very Cool Series Werkhorse !!!!  :o :o

Thanks For Sharing !!!!

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 06:29:18 AM »
Very nice and interesting series Werk. :) 8) Glad LittleWerker steered Mom & Dad in the right direction. ;D

Jimmy B

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 11:20:51 AM »
I'm not a "juice" fan, that's slang here in the states for electric/trolly fans, but I always enjoy anything with flanged wheels that runs down the track. Just a perfect series on the museum.

werkhorse

• Global Moderator
    • TruckMadPeople
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 03:16:14 AM »
Charlie:  It wasn't Dad that need encouraging.......believe me ;D  It was a race to see if I could beat the young fella to the tram.

Jimmy: I'm not a huge rail fan but, this being a local piece of history, I was and am fascinated by it. I have studied the local tram systems, both here and in Hobart, for many years  but to actually sit in one that moves  is just a grand feeling. They are having, or at least trying to organise, the 100th Aniversary on the 16th August by taking what trams they have ready to 'The Avenue' which is a section of Brisbane St. where they actually took off from on their first run and having a huge celebration, so I hope to add some more to this thread when the time comes. I should head back down there and get some inside shots too.

Wee Willy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 05:34:07 AM »
Great shots Werk, love the old stuff. 8)

The first rule of the road is:
"If anything can happen, at any time, it will!"

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 05:34:07 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs