If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Industry News - LTL Only  (Read 86512 times)

Boll Weevil

• Regular Membership
  • "Ford W9000's rule!"-Boll Weevil, age 11
Re: Industry News - LTL Only
« Reply #225 on: October 25, 2014, 07:52:32 PM »
Dohrn Transfer now one of the Hammel Companies

I'm curious as to if or how this might impact Pitt Ohio's relationship with Lakeville Motor Express.

http://www.dohrn.com/about-history.html
Jim

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #225 on: October 25, 2014, 07:52:32 PM »

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
« Reply #226 on: October 25, 2014, 09:26:08 PM »
Dohrn Transfer now one of the Hammel Companies

I'm curious as to if or how this might impact Pitt Ohio's relationship with Lakeville Motor Express.

http://www.dohrn.com/about-history.html

Dangit, Jim, you just beat me to the punch.  I was surprised to find several new Dohrn tractors at Fyda Freightliner  in Canonsburg (PA) today.  Checking their website later it still showed that their operating area was only as far east as Indiana.  However I did find the same info you posted about Chuck Hammel of Pitt Ohio and his company's involvement.

I'm curious about the relationship, as the web document only states that Hammel made an "investment" and does not flat out state that they were bought or even that he is a majority owner.  Also, I'm curious about what is going on with having new Dohrn tractors in Pittsburgh.

Boll Weevil

• Regular Membership
  • "Ford W9000's rule!"-Boll Weevil, age 11
« Reply #227 on: October 25, 2014, 10:15:35 PM »
Very interesting to see new Dohrn equipment at Fyda. My guess that the money to purchase them came from someone based in the Pittsburgh area. ;)
There were some used tractors and ex-New Century/P&P trailers at the Pittsburgh terminal that were painted white as needed and branded for Dohrn. The were even delivered to a Dohrn terminal in IL by Martera mechanics. It's tough to get details sometimes, but I'm guessing Chuck is in pretty deep.
Jim

Jimmy B

« Reply #228 on: November 01, 2014, 11:48:38 AM »
FedEx Freight Workers In New Jersey Vote To Join Teamsters Local 701

(SOUTH BRUNSWICK, N.J.) – A group of 113 drivers at FedEx Freight’s South Brunswick, N.J., terminal voted today to join Teamsters Local 701. The vote was 66 to 42.

http://teamster.org/news/2014/10/fedex-freight-workers-new-jersey-vote-join-teamsters-local-701

Jimmy B

Ex Road Pounder

• Proud member since July 10, 2003
« Reply #229 on: November 01, 2014, 06:08:00 PM »

Jimmy B

« Reply #230 on: November 01, 2014, 07:08:39 PM »
Thanks for putting up that article too, I should have put stories up on both FedEx terminals.

Jimmy B

Ex Road Pounder

• Proud member since July 10, 2003
« Reply #231 on: November 02, 2014, 06:53:21 AM »
 Personally I hope the Teamsters get both companies organized.
 But it won't be easy.

Jimmy B

« Reply #232 on: November 03, 2014, 01:35:06 PM »
Locally based Holland trucking company is now one of the largest in the country

(By Jim Timmermann Holland Sentinel Oct 6, 2014)

More than the high-end office furniture made here, more than Hope College, maybe even more than Tulip Time — there may be no one that carries the name “Holland” more prominently and regularly to other parts of the country than the trucking company that shares the community’s name.

That’s because Holland, formerly known as USF Holland, has an out-of-state presence that eclipses its relatively modest local profile. Now in its 85th year, Holland trucks are a regular sight on highways across the Midwest and South. With more than 7,500 employees, 53 terminals, 4,000 tractors and 6,500 trailers, Holland is a leader in the LTL (“less than truckload”) freight business in the Midwest and Southeastern United States. Yet most local residents would be hard-pressed to describe the scope of its business or locate its corporate office.

http://www.hollandsentinel.com/article/20141003/NEWS/141009630/10978/NEWS

hwyhaulier

« Reply #233 on: November 09, 2014, 01:07:12 PM »
gijoe707 - Lodge Members -

Last thing your writer wants to do is hijack this thread, but... What prompted your comment,
just above? Your writer has some nasty battle injuries from the De-Reg Wars of, now, over
three decades back. That damnable playing with trucking economics, done by the much too
ignorant from all the right schools...

De-Reg worked to crash most all the LTL industry. Problems being? When the lines shut their
doors, there was the matter many were not up to date on H & W and Retirement payments.
So that implies? The rates on much all the traffic should have been much higher...

Alas! This is one of the bigger "I told you so" stories of all. A presumption that LTL Rates
were long and much too low?

...............................Vern..............................

NHRS

• Regular Membership
« Reply #234 on: November 09, 2014, 02:35:54 PM »
Think the observers of this vote might be confusing present-day Teamsters with the totally-for-their-guys Teamsters of old.

If the present-age truck Teamsters act as sissy pro-management as the present-day airline-pilot Teamsters (actually thought it was merely an expired copyright of the old name until I saw the traditional emblem), nothing whatever to worry about. In fact after a few years of childish representation, those voters may well change their mind.

FEDEX scored a big positive on this one! 66 of their employees are elated, & until they wake up, it's gonna be heads FEDEX wins, & tails the employees lose.
If you don't ask, they can't say no.

Jimmy B

« Reply #235 on: November 09, 2014, 08:13:26 PM »
hi steve and jimmy,this would be great for the pension funds all over the u.s. picket signs and burn barrels wont work like back in the day.

I agree. It's a much more complex world that we live in today, it will take time, a very well thought out strategy, and a pragmatic exercise of the process. And of course, the Union can be only as strong as it's weakest member. Today's Teamster Union is much more honest in it's endeavor than certain parts of it's past. The Union can't make a management team better, it can't get blood out of a turnip. It does generally make for a much better working life. The last time I was laid off, not voluntary, I could have worked every day. But, I choose out of solidarity only to answer a call to work one or two times during the week, so that others below me might get hours in for medical and such. I'm proud of our Union, is it perfect? No, but what in life is perfect. It has given most of the membership a livable wage and benefits, that made me a believer. Also, the dignity in a Union shop is oh so much better.

Jimmy B

hwyhaulier

« Reply #236 on: November 10, 2014, 07:54:21 AM »
Jimmy B - Lodge Members -

Thanks! Solid commentary!

As your writer with past experience "on the inside" with the late Corn Flakes System,
the is old battle scars from De-Reg all over again. Entire matter gets me talking to
myself! Among my crankier opinions: It is doubtful it was necessary to crash the whole
"Green and Red Empire". Poorly thought management plays are just that!

..........................Vern.........................

hwyhaulier

« Reply #237 on: November 10, 2014, 12:45:11 PM »
didn't mean to upset you vern---I just meant those days are gone.have a happy day.im for you and jimmy

gijoe707 - Lodge Members -

No problems! You didn't upset. Just that many of us have been at it for a good while. Some
(including your writer) didn't like it then. Many still don't like it now. One can have pause, at
the least, that so many solid IBT families hurt, all over what a silly economics class exercise!

Again, no sense re-fighting this war all over again. Good to see we have this topic with the
posting of LTL side News...

.............................Vern.....................
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 12:51:50 PM by hwyhaulier »

Gary Smith

• Fleet eye for the Chicken guy
« Reply #238 on: November 18, 2014, 08:28:49 PM »
Southeastern to open terminals in Kentucky - Bowling Green, Lexington, Louisville & Cincinnati

http://www.ltlfreightsefl.com/grow/

I wonder what this will do to the partnership with Dayton Freight?
It's a Mack thing. you wouldn't understand.....

"Every highway, just beyond the high beams"

mattypatty

• Regular Membership
« Reply #239 on: November 25, 2014, 04:53:45 PM »
@GarySmith, I have wondered the same thing and haven't really gotten an answer from any of my sources at SEFL.  Believe me though, it has been worked out.  SEFL has a very wise group of leaders.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #239 on: November 25, 2014, 04:53:45 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs