If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Industry News - LTL Only  (Read 84294 times)

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
Re: Industry News - LTL Only
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 08:10:57 AM »
You'll get my opinion first Charlie. >:(
A Stupid, Stupid article. >:( >:(
"TRUCKERS"? ???
A couple of drivers that don't like them and contact the paper to voice their concerns. :-\
I hate articles that lead "Truckers Oppose... or Canadians Think...." >:( >:( >:(
It's lazy journalism to print an article without citing a reason to believe that these "truckers" represent anyone more than themselves. >:( >:(

Rob.

I'm gonna stick this here only because it involves triples (which is an LTL thing) and also the story is from Nevada where Jimmy B resides and i'd like to get his opinion on this story about truckers wanting triples banned in Nevada.

http://www.lvrj.com/news/truckers-urge-state-to-ban-triple-trailers-118067074.html?ref=074                         

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 08:10:57 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 08:24:20 AM »
I wish you wouldn't hold back Rob. ;D Sometimes it's good to let all that anger out. :D

Nate

• Global Moderator
  • Just a boy living the dream
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 12:05:20 PM »
I'm gonna stick this here only because it involves triples (which is an LTL thing) and also the story is from Nevada where Jimmy B resides and i'd like to get his opinion on this story about truckers wanting triples banned in Nevada.

http://www.lvrj.com/news/truckers-urge-state-to-ban-triple-trailers-118067074.html?ref=074                         

I'm not sure, but I think some of these politicians just like to make stupid legislation to get away from the real issues that are going on in our country right now... Perhaps Nevada Democrats will take a trip to Detroit like the Wisconsin reps soon.  :P

You'd think the Teamsters would actually be taking a stand against this bill, as Nevada Teamsters is full of LTL truck drivers, who make their living pulling triples. I used to respect the decisions of the Teamsters, but I really question their motives and agendas these days.

I really doubt that this will pass, but if it does, the effects could really come down hard on LTL employees, freight in these lanes will increase in price by 33 percent. A harsh increase like that will leave shippers with the tough task of taking the blow, or moving to a TL carrier.

I really loved the quote about joining the ban like the other 37 states. Is it really a ban when the states never allowed them in the first place?

Its an intriguing world we live in these days, folks. 
Welcome to the 21st century. Things are going to change.- G.S.

Ray F

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 04:17:47 PM »

Jimmy B

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 12:24:44 AM »
Here is the bill:

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/76th2011/Bills/AB/AB188.pdf

I like Nevada because you can actually talk with most of your elected officials. And every once in a while you can get them to to add, subtract or modify an issue from their platform or agenda. Just yesterday got an email from a person I met about 5 years ago that was running for governor. It was written by her and not her staff, I got the staff email a day prior to that.

Maybe I'll call my assemblyman and speak up about this when I make up my mind.

Let's see, the truckfan in me says thumbs down. The truck driver in me is undecided just yet. I've never had a problem, but I've been passed by a couple that did have a problem and wondered with a rear box swinging so much, why they didn't slow down. We do have some family farmers that send their hay to the cubers on triples and trains, never seen them have a problem. Because of the distances in this state I sure could see the cost advantage to the way it is now.

I think at times some management types, as well as a few drivers are kind of caviler about LCVs, maybe there should be a reality check for these types. It certainly is more work. As a driver I don't think I'd care one way or another. I'll have to think more about this and what's best for Me and My Neighbors.

I know that about 5 or so years ago our Teamster shop steward testified to the legislature about letting longer wheel base tractors pull triples, he being in the affirmative. And from his testimony and that of others they liberalized the overall length of LCVs.

So Charlie and Rob, that's were I am right now.

Jimmy B
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 12:39:07 AM by Jimmy B »

charlie

• Regular Membership
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 05:31:36 AM »
Thanks Jimmy......what are the requirements for a triples license in NV other than passing a written test? ??? Is there a road test? ??? # of years behind the wheel? ???

Nate

• Global Moderator
  • Just a boy living the dream
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 03:51:24 PM »
Thanks Jimmy......what are the requirements for a triples license in NV other than passing a written test? ??? Is there a road test? ??? # of years behind the wheel? ???

I can't answer for Nevada, but it should be generally the same state to state. Basically pass a written test, prove you can yank em around. Take your endorsement to an employer, they will give you a written exam and a driving test, and they cut you loose with a set of triples. The rest comes from driver experience.

I've heard Con-Way sends a experienced triples driver with the Newb for a week. Maybe Ian can fill us in.
Welcome to the 21st century. Things are going to change.- G.S.

ThaddeusW

• Regular Membership
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2011, 08:55:17 PM »
You'll get my opinion first Charlie. >:(
A Stupid, Stupid article. >:( >:(
"TRUCKERS"? ???
A couple of drivers that don't like them and contact the paper to voice their concerns. :-\
I hate articles that lead "Truckers Oppose... or Canadians Think...." >:( >:( >:(
It's lazy journalism to print an article without citing a reason to believe that these "truckers" represent anyone more than themselves. >:( >:(

Rob.

Sensationalism. Grab peoples attention and make it sound as if there is a great concern. Just like the overblown scare mongering going on in the American media about the Japan nuclear reactor problem. The plant is in bad shape but its not extremely serious and they are keeping the situation in control. But no, the American media spews fear asking if our power plants are safe (yes, they are) and the NY post went as far as to say that the upstate Indian Point Nuclear plant is "A potential Chernobyl". These clowns have people on the west coast buying radiation medicine and taking precautionary measures. Complete lies and bulls---

See they play into the anti-whtever sentiment that manifests itself here in America. OMG the big scary trucks are going to kill your children! I remember when there were plans to introduce triples on the NYS thruway some anti-trucking association (read: cesspool of escaped mental patients) aired a commercial of a mother driving her two or three children on the highway when a triple pulls up along side her. I forget the exact scenario but I can remember something like the truck was forcing her off the road or going to hit her and she could not get away from it because it was so long (they flashed front and rear views showing the truck extending for what seemed like infinity). All the while showing her in a panic and her kids blissfully ignorant of the impeding doom. So this is the kind of S#@% we have to deal with, mentally handicapped people spewing fear about something they know little about just to grab eyeballs and sell newspapers/news programs funded by advertisement. More eyeballs = more money, there is no journalistic integrity anymore.

And on another note, I always thought that doubles and triples would be more stable if the dolly draw bars were a few feet longer. The short draw bar does not dampen sudden angular movement between the coupler and 5th wheel. a longer bar would cut down on the sway. Any thoughts?
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^|
|==ASCII Trucking =====|'|""";,____,
|__,,,_,,,__________====_____|....,]
***(@)'(@)*******#|(@)(@)*****(@)

Jimmy B

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, 11:31:47 AM »
YRC’s Holland Unit to Hire 1,000 Drivers

YRC Worldwide’s Holland unit said Monday it plans to hire about 1,000 drivers this year.

Transport Topics:
http://www.ttnews.com/articles/basetemplate.aspx?storyid=26348&utm_source=express&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=newsletter

charlie

• Regular Membership
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2011, 03:34:19 PM »
Why hire a thousand drivers at Holland at this time? ??? Are there still drivers at the old Yellow & Roadway that are still laid off and could fill these positions? ??? And since YRC (Roadway & Yellow) probably serve the same areas why not spread the wealth equally and hire 1/2 the drivers for YRC? ??? Just wondering. ;D

Jimmy B

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2011, 12:38:31 AM »
Why hire a thousand drivers at Holland at this time? ??? Are there still drivers at the old Yellow & Roadway that are still laid off and could fill these positions? ??? And since YRC (Roadway & Yellow) probably serve the same areas why not spread the wealth equally and hire 1/2 the drivers for YRC? ??? Just wondering. ;D

Charlie,

YRC and Holland are two completely different companies owned by the same parent, YRCW. By reading the article management at Holland is anticipating a growth year in 2011. I'd guess that there will be a number of former, laid off, Roadway, Yellow and YRC drivers hired.

Jimmy B

PS We have a number of folks who have been called back from lay-off at our terminal and it is very busy for us for this time of the year. I'm working 50 hour weeks now.

LoneStar

• The Con-way Guy
    • Photobucket Album
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2011, 02:25:43 PM »

Thanks to roogie for the Photo!

charlie

• Regular Membership
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2011, 03:28:27 PM »
Pretty cool news about the ol' Con-way Ford being donated to Iowa 80. Barring a blizzard i hope to take a day trip over there in late November while in WI to celebrate Thanksgiving with the in-laws. This will be an extra added treat. :)

RedStapler

• Not Sure-Camacho 2016
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2011, 05:07:17 PM »
I've heard Con-Way sends a experienced triples driver with the Newb for a week. Maybe Ian can fill us in.

Triples Certification at CWX consisted of watching a video, hooking a set and a ~20min drive including a few miles of Freeway. The whole process took a few hours on a Saturday.

RedStapler

• Not Sure-Camacho 2016
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2011, 05:30:43 PM »

I just read the text of the bill.  My political instincts tell me that the bill will die.

Aside from LTL and Agriculture the other major beneficiary of LCVs in NV is the mining industry.  They primary use 'pikers,  you see cement going to mines and ore for processing going when you enter their part of the world east of Winnemucca.

Nate makes a good point about the increasing costs pushing freight that is on the margins to TL carriers. For some carriers in Reno it would also put the squeeze on P&D productivity for outlying areas such as Fallon, Fernley and Minden. I can think of one major aerosol paint factory in the south valleys that would feel the squeeze. 

I agree that empty to lightly loaded triples exhibit a lot of the "whip cracking" effect in a crosswind. You could get the same economies of scale with twin 40 or 45s while having a more stable vehicle; the trade off however would be increased off-tracking relative to a set of triples.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2011, 05:30:43 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs