If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: I'll have to go with the old ones...  (Read 22993 times)

Trailer Fixer

• Disturbing the peace since 1972
Re: I'll have to go with the old ones...
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2010, 04:25:49 AM »
  As far as looks by far the trucks from the 60's to the 80's look better.  However if I had to drive OTR I'd want the truck that was more comfortable, better visibility, and more bunk space for  longer lay overs.  Condo cab or a 36" breakaway bunk?

I drove an old 1974 Road Boss. And I felt like I was in a slammed/chopped lead sled hot rod. W/ the air seat on the floor my head was but an inch or two from touching the roof. Also I had to look down at the windsheild.  If I didn't I was staring at the roof about 2" above the top of the windsheild.  Then I had the rare opperatunity to drive a WELL TAKENCARE OF FLD120 Condo (long WB) cab. I had a fifth wheel mounted towing apparatous towing another FLD120 from Columbus,Ohio to Prescott Ark. bringing another FLD returning to Columbus.  The ride of the longer WB FLD condo cab was perfect.  I was driving team w/ one of the drivers so we could get there and turn around non stop.  Now I know the FLD120's are becoming fewer and further in between these days but IF I ever quit wrenching and went OTR I'd want to have an identical truck like that one.
Scott W. Pryer

ScottWP72@yahoo.com

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2010, 04:25:49 AM »

coloradogreen

• 10-4 Magazine
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2010, 11:33:27 PM »
Man, OLD SCHOOL trucks are where it's at :mrgreen: I don't care how much plastic they load on the new trucks (that look like bloated minivans :x) you can't beat the old Petes(needlenoses are the coolest) KWs and freightliners, and the classy cabovers! Have you noticed how all the BEST showtrucks are big, bad old cabovers or conventionals with a real"grill" not a skimpy little excuse for a grill about the size of the one on my grandma's pontiac :evil: Don't get me wrong the new trucks look ok except for the freightliner coranado :| but you just can never beat the classics! I have to say that the only modern trucks that look like a TRUCK are the Peterbilt 388 & 389 and the Kenworth w900L, at least the modern truck engineers did something right :roll:
Go for even a short trip in one of those and see how you like it... even with my limited experience riding around in those old trucks I can tell you they're a pain. 15 miles around in a '68 Freightliner on a block suspension and my back felt like someone had taken a sledgehammer to it. Old trucks have character, but, I think the best way to go if you want "old school" is to take an old truck, and slip a new frame and running gear under it.

Troy.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 02:10:43 AM by coloradogreen »
Your friendly neighborhood vegan heavy haul punk.

"Suzie-Q"

IMAGES COPYRIGHT TROY MILLER/ 10-4 MAGAZINE

Contributor 10-4 Magazine

Hunter

• There's more Worth in a Kenworth.
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2010, 12:12:18 PM »
I argee Troy, I rode in an old Peterbilt and boy that was probably the last time I would ride in it. I can't remember what kinda suspension she had but my back hurt and well the rode ride just sucked. It was a whole hour before we were done driving.
Diesel Trucks: If they are too loud, your too old.

Running Pete

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2010, 12:54:21 PM »
When I ride in a Pete 379 or 359 I don't think it rides hard at all, but there is a noticable diference with the Unibilts, they ride very good. Check my signature below, that guy runs his trucks over the road every day, both 359s. Pete low air leaf suspensions ride really good in my opinion. A cabover might kill your back for two reasons: 1) Your sitting right on top of the axle :roll: 2) The wheelbase on a COE is shorter. So it might not just be the suspension. Some of these roads you go over in a car feel like a washboard, but make note of the difference when in a truck of any kind on that same road.

coloradogreen

• 10-4 Magazine
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2010, 11:24:25 PM »
When I ride in a Pete 379 or 359 I don't think it rides hard at all, but there is a noticable diference with the Unibilts, they ride very good. Check my signature below, that guy runs his trucks over the road every day, both 359s. Pete low air leaf suspensions ride really good in my opinion. A cabover might kill your back for two reasons: 1) Your sitting right on top of the axle :roll: 2) The wheelbase on a COE is shorter. So it might not just be the suspension. Some of these roads you go over in a car feel like a washboard, but make note of the difference when in a truck of any kind on that same road.
Low Airleaf suspension? That's quite a bit newer suspension than what that truck likely came from the factory with. I don't know the dates on when what suspensions were introduced by Peterbilt, but, I wouldn't imagine it'd be long enough ago unless those are very late production 359's. Though a COE does alter the ride of a truck for the reasons you listed, even the old long-nose trucks can have hellacious rides with the block suspensions. Block supsensions will begin rattling if you hit a pothole right, regarldess of whether it's a cabover or conventional, and that rattling isn't nice on your back. The other thing to keep in mind with old trucks (older than 359s) is that those trucks gnerally had little or no insulation, or air-conditioning, or many of the comforts that newer trucks have. To anyone who likes the older ones I think they ought to take one over Red Mountain Pass on a hot day where it's 95-degrees at the base and 40-degrees at the summit, coming around the hairpins on no power-steering, with an underpowered engine, and, if you're lucky ('60s truck) a jake brake. Did guys used to do that? Yes (Rio Grande's trucking division typically had three freight routes over the pass per day), but, notice that a lot of old drivers have little or no hearing left, they have back and leg problems, etc.

To each their own though.

Troy.
Your friendly neighborhood vegan heavy haul punk.

"Suzie-Q"

IMAGES COPYRIGHT TROY MILLER/ 10-4 MAGAZINE

Contributor 10-4 Magazine

Rick Sousa

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2010, 12:33:33 AM »
Older drivers hear only the truth and the back was never broken the legs work  when needed. You kids don't have a clue and never will but sure have a lot of opinions. :-D

Running Pete

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2010, 01:46:00 AM »
Sorry I was just talking about the low air leaf in general, not the trucks in my sig., those are stock all the way, one's an 1981-2 (cannot remember) and the other is a little older.

Dave

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2010, 02:46:16 AM »
I'll have to go with the older trucks too, especailly 70's and 80's Western Stars and an old R model Mack from Lakehead Freightways. First for looks, but to me, much nicer to actually drive. Yes the clutch was stiff, but you could feel when the plates came together. The solid throttle linkage had better RPM control. You could feel the gears in the tranny meshing when shifting. Spring suspension and "armstrong" steering meant you could feel the grip of the tires on the road. Brakes you could actually adjust yourself. What are the new trucks made of? Jello? No feedback. The huge air ride cab wallowing around on an air ride suspension. Steering and pedals that don't feel like they are attached to anything. Little feeling through the shifter. Yes the new trucks are comfortable to sit around in, but to me you sacrafice to much control of the vehicle that I didn't feel comfortable with.

Thanks,

Dave

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2010, 02:46:16 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs