Author Topic: Trans Canada Truck Lines  (Read 3449 times)

snafu

Trans Canada Truck Lines
« on: November 12, 2006, 04:12:14 AM »
Anyone else here work or remember the black sheep division of Reimer?

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • www.hankstruckpictures.com
Re: Trans Canada Truck Lines
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 05:01:26 AM »
Anyone else here work or remember the black sheep division of Reimer?

They were the broker division of Inter City Truck Lines just after US deregulation. Did Reimer continue to operate under that name after they aquired Inter City?
I think they had an office at Interport for  awhile; but that was after I left Interport in'75.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 05:19:46 AM by Rob Archer »

snafu

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 05:37:14 AM »
Yes, they did Rob for several years.

After Reimer bought out Inter-City, Trans Canada's yard was located next door to Reimer on Shawson in Mississauga until they shut that name down.

michael

• Regular Membership
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 09:27:22 AM »
I worked from Trans Canada Truck Lines...from about 1984 to 1987.  As I recall it was before the Reimer acquisition. Our yard was on Shawson...beside where Reimer built their terminal. I was domiciled from the Cambridge terminal when they opened it.

snafu

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 10:02:50 AM »
I worked from Trans Canada Truck Lines...from about 1984 to 1987.  As I recall it was before the Reimer acquisition. Our yard was on Shawson...beside where Reimer built their terminal. I was domiciled from the Cambridge terminal when they opened it.
AH!

One of Larry's guys that got the Canadian General Tower loads eh?  :-D

c.j. hall

• Regular Membership
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 02:50:29 PM »
Snafu and Michael, what truck did you run, I guess you were a broker. Trans Canada at one time ran some fancy iron.

snafu

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 03:12:32 PM »
Snafu and Michael, what truck did you run, I guess you were a broker. Trans Canada at one time ran some fancy iron.
I started off there with their never never plan back in 85...

Then got into my own, an 87 LTL 9000 which I had leased on with a North American Van Lines agent before going back to Trans Canada.. It was painted white but I had the TC stripes put on it.

I'll look around for some old pictures and scan them.

snafu

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 04:33:59 PM »
Here you go..

Sorry about the quality of the first two pictures.. I lost a lot of my old photos in a flood a few years back.

At Scarboro Movers:

Mine with a good friend's Peterbilt at the old Markham Truck Show:

For those that remember this old R-Model.. also taken the same year at the Markham Truck Show:

After the Trans Canada decal's and stripes went on:

And me in B.C when I had it on with Baird/Air Ride out of Kitchener (who would later be bought out by Arnold Brothers)

c.j. hall

• Regular Membership
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 04:43:11 PM »
Snafu, thanks for posting the pics, that was a sweet ride you sure kept the aluminum polished. I like the extra long wheelbase, you lucked out so many fords came in just the minimal frame length. Those old LTL9000 sure have dissapeared. What did you do after Baird Air Ride.
CJ

snafu

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 04:59:40 PM »
Snafu, thanks for posting the pics, that was a sweet ride you sure kept the aluminum polished. I like the extra long wheelbase, you lucked out so many fords came in just the minimal frame length. Those old LTL9000 sure have dissapeared. What did you do after Baird Air Ride.
CJ
Thanks, I've often thought of finding an old 9000 and having it done up, stretching the hood too... but time and money keeps that from happening.
I got rid of my Ford while I was with Air Ride.. took a couple months off running long distance. Went on as a company driver there before moving on to Forbes-Hewlett for a number of years, Larway for one year. Then working the city for Harrow and finally and which will be my last stop, with Precison Truck Lines.

I'll try and dig up some other pictures this week of the Forbes trucks, scan them and resize them for you..

Most of the pictures I have of my current ride have been posted at LCM.
But I'm sure you remember seeing it at Fergus this year and last...

c.j. hall

• Regular Membership
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 05:15:34 PM »
very nice ride, haven't seen you lately on the road but always look good goin by. I thought I was one of the few guys still showing after 20 years but you have been also, just funny all the different trucks we've run over the years. probally passed by ya a hundred times.
CJ

snafu

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 05:30:30 PM »
very nice ride, haven't seen you lately on the road but always look good goin by. I thought I was one of the few guys still showing after 20 years but you have been also, just funny all the different trucks we've run over the years. probally passed by ya a hundred times.
CJ
Thanks... it's difficult to keep clean and polished to the way we like this time of year as you well know. But I've got a few things planned for it before next year's shows...
I'm planning on hitting Palmerston, Fergus and then Stirling in September.

Between Markham, Cayuga.. back in the late 80's I didn't do any shows up until Fergus these past 2 years.. just never had the time or inclination to spend a week or more getting ready for them.

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • www.hankstruckpictures.com
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2006, 02:32:30 AM »
Hey Snafu!
Who is that customer down near the (former) Lakeview Generating Station in south end Mississauga?
I hope to see you down there sometime soon.

Good pictures.........nice pictures of the Ford LTL.

Ethan

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2006, 11:30:57 AM »
snafu nice pics sweet looking ride you had that ford was amazing. Nice pete you have now, normaly i dont like that many lights on a truck but i love the look of your pete with the lights along the catwalk. If you have any more pics would love to see them.

michael

• Regular Membership
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2006, 11:52:19 AM »
AH!

One of Larry's guys that got the Canadian General Tower loads eh?  :-D

Yep...one of Larry's guys...Toronto dispatch referred to us useing other names! Larry was great to work with! Do city work for him a get your pick at the end of the day as to what load you took.

I started with an old tired cabover flat top...it kept me in the poor house. The 8V92 converted diesel fuel to noise at best. After about a year and a half I bought a NEW 1987 T600 from Kenworth on Dixie Road. Wish I could remember the name of the sales man...he was a great old guy.