If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Reliable Transport Ltd  (Read 4759 times)

wayneucv

• Canadian Trucks/Trailers/Trains
Reliable Transport Ltd
« on: October 04, 2010, 04:38:39 AM »
I am looking for information on  Reliable Transport Ltd. I am looking for images of the old paint scheme. What colour are the trucks and the logos.  Was there a terminal in the golden triangle area?
In the first two images( Doug Macfie), the city board on the Ford truck lists the various local cities on this route. Down the right side is  Waterloo Preston Guleph and Hamilton,  the left side had Kitchener and  Galt   but cannot determine the other two.
The third image is a from a Boyd post by G. Laplante. If you look at the orange circle it looks like a Reliable trailer in the background. Wonder what that trailer colour is?

The last image is of a newer Reliable paint scheme( Doug Macfie). Does anyone know when this paint scheme came into service?

What finally happend to Reliable?

Hank's Truck Forum

Reliable Transport Ltd
« on: October 04, 2010, 04:38:39 AM »

Douglas Macfie

• Regular Membership
  • Those were the times
    • http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~macfie/speedway.htm
Re: Reliable Transport Ltd
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 01:02:34 AM »
Wayne , you did not ask me what happened to  Reliable   so i did not tell you   

It`s license was split between TNT Quebec and  Laidlaw Carriers in the  later 1980s   

TNT Quebec took over most of the LTL operartion  even moving into the Montreal Relaible terminal ,  I would have to do some digging, i know there were a few articles written  but i do think I kept any of them  or at least took copies of them when i left TNT Quebec , but surely there will be others who can  perhaps throw a bit more light on the  subject matter

Gee   sss  you are going to have me spending a whole lot more time at the library     for sure ( ha ha ha)

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • www.hankstruckpictures.com
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 01:13:44 AM »
Laidlaw merged Reliable with Scott Transport of Oakville.
The Toronto terminal was in the St Clair and Weston Roads area IIRC.

doug mckenzie

• Regular Membership
  • Doug McKenzie
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 01:56:09 AM »
Laidlaw merged Reliable with Scott Transport of Oakville.
The Toronto terminal was in the St Clair and Weston Roads area IIRC.

New Coca-Cola bottling plant was built on the property of the former Reliable terminal.
Haven't been in that part of the city for years now, so don't really know whether or not the Coke plant is still there.
Right-wing Old School.

R. Buron

• Regular Membership
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 02:20:40 AM »
The licence split between TNT and Laidlaw was probably around 1985 or 86 because I remember it was the Champlain Sept-Iles fleet which was located there,leaving the other TNT Quebec divisions' fleets in the ST- Hubert terminal.It was before the integration of Champlain Sept-Iles into Overland Express in 1987.

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 08:40:49 AM »
One of the place names appears to Hespeler.
Galt, Preston and Hespeler were amalgamated into the present city of Cambridge.
The other missing town might be on Highway 8.
Once again, I regret losing my 1968 SHIP BY TRUCK guidebook that listed all the pre-deregulation PCV licenses. Reliable must have had PCV Class A authority over Highway 8.

In the first two images( Doug Macfie), the city board on the Ford truck lists the various local cities on this route. Down the right side is  Waterloo Preston Guleph and Hamilton,  the left side had Kitchener and  Galt   but cannot determine the other two.

The Fixer

• Regular Membership
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 10:10:40 PM »
One of the place names appears to Hespeler.
Galt, Preston and Hespeler were amalgamated into the present city of Cambridge.
The other missing town might be on Highway 8.
Once again, I regret losing my 1968 SHIP BY TRUCK guidebook that listed all the pre-deregulation PCV licenses. Reliable must have had PCV Class A authority over Highway 8.

I think the missing town is Greensville, which is now part of Dundas.

Douglas Macfie

• Regular Membership
  • Those were the times
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 11:28:18 PM »
You know wayne had me reading more on this subject today       before 1951 the company was called Reliable & Galt Transport 

got me to thinking would there have been a small town in  that area called Reliable       

or are we talking two persons Mr Reliable and Mr Galt   !!!!   
  i guess i have a whole lot more work to do

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 01:26:40 AM »
Douglas - Mr Galt was a Father of Confederation so he would have been long gone.
Galt is the town; the trucking company likely gave RELIABLE service to that town.

or are we talking two persons Mr Reliable and Mr Galt   !!!!   
  i guess i have a whole lot more work to do

Douglas Macfie

• Regular Membership
  • Those were the times
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 10:30:44 AM »
Rob    I knew who Galt was  but I was wondering   because that  was the first time i had come upon the name  of

Reliable & Galt         I had never  seen it that way ..         perhaps there were  two small firm s  Relaible  Tranpsort    and Galt  Transport that were merged   much before  1951

that would provided another  answer   it is like M & D  in Halifax     one man was J Dobson the other J Murtough     so I asked     and 

since you know me fairly well and know that i would not  say any thing to insult you     , and since I am a history buff 

the town of Galt was named for the father  of Alexander Galt ( of confederation )   John Galt the Scottish Poet .......    he founded the town  back in the early 1800s    .................... or so it say in the book i have     ...  his sister  married a member of my family  in Greenock Scotlad   in late 1700,s    or so says the book       =====   Just a bit of  non trucking history .....   

So now i have to get back to figuring out where I can find out more about Reliable and Galt  Transport ....  much more interesting  really 

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 05:21:30 PM »
No insult taken and a few minutes thought would have made me realize that Galt Ontario was named well before Confederation.
I'm wondering if the missing name on the sign was Dunnville.

I'm sure that Reliable would have had a terminal in what is Cambridge today but the only one I remember seeing in Preston was the Bond shed where Red Star had a truck based.

c.j. hall

• Regular Membership
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 11:07:37 PM »
In the nid eighties Laidlaw merged the name on the truck door and called it Reliable Scott, this was done in the Laidlaw red white and blue slanted logo. Laidlaw wasted no time in removining the names off the truck and replacing with the new decals. For a while you could see the old Scott and Reliable trucks in original paint colours, In 1987 to 1988 the name was mostly used on the dump division. By 1989 the Reliable Scott name was mostly phased out because by this time Laidlaw was repainting the trucks with new paint scheme and had introduced a new logo.

doug mckenzie

• Regular Membership
  • Doug McKenzie
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 01:02:37 AM »
In the nid eighties Laidlaw merged the name on the truck door and called it Reliable Scott, this was done in the Laidlaw red white and blue slanted logo. Laidlaw wasted no time in removining the names off the truck and replacing with the new decals. For a while you could see the old Scott and Reliable trucks in original paint colours, In 1987 to 1988 the name was mostly used on the dump division. By 1989 the Reliable Scott name was mostly phased out because by this time Laidlaw was repainting the trucks with new paint scheme and had introduced a new logo.

Mike deGroote's Laidlaw was a mish-mash of various trucking companies holding various operating authorities that were coveted and purchased.

They were also a mish-mash of labour unions.

Both Reliable and Scott Transport of Oakville had Teamsters bargaining units.

The Toronto terminal of Laidlaw, formerly Leather Cartage at 90 North Queen Street, had membership in The Retail Wholesale and Department Store Union.

That's probably why Reliable and Scott were meged and eventually eliminated.
I could also be wrong and stand to be corrected.
Right-wing Old School.

Cornbinder

• OPEN ROAD...a trucker's dream....
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 07:11:52 PM »
When I left Windsor in 1987, Laidlaw was changing paint livery to blue with a white stripe, and most of the branded "Reliable" truck's were disappearing.

Madartist48

• Regular Membership
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 07:52:17 PM »
Could the missing town you're looking for be that of Rockton ?
I know  when my dad & I were driving we both went to Rockton
on occasion. As for Dunnville I don't think its possible . My grand-
mother was born there and I have done some research on the town
in relation to tracing her family there.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 07:52:17 PM »