If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Asbestos Transport Ltd.  (Read 3666 times)

wayneucv

• Canadian Trucks/Trailers/Trains
Asbestos Transport Ltd.
« on: October 04, 2010, 03:56:32 AM »
I am looking for some information and photos if possible of Asbestos Transport Ltd. My understanding is they ran in Toronto to the Maritime corridor in the late 1950's and early 60's. They were based out of Quebec. They used the CP piggyback service alot.

All I have found is a few file references in the Canada Archives which I pasted here.

The Asbestos Eastern Transport Ltd., Employees' Association, Applicant - and Asbestos Transport Ltd., and Eastern Transport Ltd., Asbestos, Que., Respondents - (Cross reference: 766:1226:61)
1961/05-1962/02. File.
RG145. [/color]
General Truck Drivers' Union, Local 938 and Transport Drivers', Warehousemen and Helpers' Union, Local 106, of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, Chauffeurs, Warehousemen and Helpers of America, Applicant - and Asbestos Transport Ltd., Asbestos Eastern Ltd., and Eastern Transport Ltd., Richmond County, Que., and Toronto, Ont., Respondents - (Cross reference: 766:845:57, 766:1041:59)
1961/02-1961/05. File.
RG145. [/font]

Looks like there may have been a merger with Eastern Transport at some point, which makes me think of CNR.

Hank's Truck Forum

Asbestos Transport Ltd.
« on: October 04, 2010, 03:56:32 AM »

Douglas Macfie

• Regular Membership
  • Those were the times
    • http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~macfie/speedway.htm
Re: Asbestos Transport Ltd.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 01:06:56 AM »
Wayne   

Do not mix this Quebec  - Eastern Transport Ltd   with  Eastern Transport of Moncton  ( CNR )   two different companies all together 

Asbestos  -  ran  well Asbestos     may be Montreal -  certainly Toronto        the Eastern transport they merged with ran out of Shipton Quebec, most likely to Montreal    ...

Gee sss I have to get back to the library  to check out a  few of the older advertsiments ........

you are going to get me having to wear glasses    ( ha ha)

doug mckenzie

• Regular Membership
  • Doug McKenzie
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 01:53:52 AM »

Asbestos - Eastern had a terminal in Scarborough (Toronto) on Upton Road, off Warden Avenue.

Last time I ever saw one of their tractors out of that terminal as sometime in the early 70's - tractor was a brand-new Maxidyne powered R-Model Mack.

Ran a few Dodge CN straight trucks with Perkins Diesel engines.
Right-wing Old School.

R. Buron

• Regular Membership
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 02:36:31 AM »
Douglas in 1973 when TNT bought Champlain Sept-Iles Express,the australian Group bought also Asbestos Eastern Interprovential which became,according to the TNT Quebec brochure,Champlain Sept-Iles Express Interprovincial located on Britania Road East in Mississauga.Is it the same company we are talking about in that post :? :? :?

Douglas Macfie

• Regular Membership
  • Those were the times
    • http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~macfie/speedway.htm
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 11:32:08 PM »
This i am not sure   as  Asbestos Transport   still worked thier own  end of things ,   i had  always understood that   the Eastern  part of the operation

may have been  the license  to the  USA  ........     in the old Lovell street Guide in Montreal we have Asbestos Transport listed,    but noting at all on Eastern Transport  .......

i still have some work to do on this    before I will  feel good about saying too much ... i do not like to be wrong  ..   it is a bad habit I have .......

c.j. hall

• Regular Membership
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 10:57:23 PM »
I'm a little confused here, as of 2 or 3 years ago I would always see Asbestos Eastern trucks on the Montreal Toronto corridor. They were green Internationals with white and orange stripes, all they ever hauled was B Trains with containers. I've been hauling on the  401 for 20 years and have always seen this company, I assumed they came only to Toronto area as I never seen Transport Asbestos Eastern west of Toronto.  I have not seen any of there trucks for a couple of years now.

barraclou

• On the road again
    • Barraclou.com/truck
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 09:51:19 PM »
Asbestos Eastern is named for the town it came from: Asbestos (it was known as the largest open pit mine in the world, but I don't know it is still true.), located in the Eastern Townships (About 45 minutes Northeast of Sherbrooke). They still exist, they dropped the Asbestos part of their name and they seem to specialize now in the container hauling niche. They also had flatbeds and vans, but I don't see them as much as I used to. It went down about the same time asbestos fiber got a bad name (its replacement, silica, is not safer, but no one mentions it. Asbestosis vs silicosis, but money talks.).  Now, I would see them several times during a few days, then I would be for weeks before my next sighting.  http://www.transporteastern.com

« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 09:53:10 PM by barraclou »

barraclou

• On the road again
    • Barraclou.com/truck
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 09:31:54 PM »
A few days ago...

pete

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 09:30:24 AM »
In the early days they ran Sicard tractors ,some were the short hoods with 90"BBC
Pete

barraclou

• On the road again
    • Barraclou.com/truck
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 09:42:12 PM »

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 09:42:12 PM »