If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: ATHS Sierra Nevada Show 9-4-10  (Read 7195 times)

wbache

Re: ATHS Sierra Nevada Show 9-4-10
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 02:59:20 AM »
, it's the configuration, truck and trailer van

A later model  as that cab did not come out until 1973 but LASME (later part of TIME-DC) ran a lot of van truck trailer units north and south until at least the late 60's--truck and trailer van units are rarely seen anymore altho flatbeds are common especially for hay haulers. As to the model numbers I leave that to the experts--I'm lucky if I know the make.    Nice shot :-)

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 02:59:20 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Jimmy B

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2010, 03:16:32 AM »
A later model  as that cab did not come out until 1973 but LASME (later part of TIME-DC) ran a lot of van truck trailer units north and south until at least the late 60's--truck and trailer van units are rarely seen anymore altho flatbeds are common especially for hay haulers. As to the model numbers I leave that to the experts--I'm lucky if I know the make.    Nice shot :-)

I think this truck ran out of the Sacramento area, and I think I remember seeing it years ago, maybe with another truck, but the same box and trailer...Thanks for the nugget on los angeles seattle motor express.

Jimmy B

wbache

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2010, 03:48:56 AM »
I think this truck ran out of the Sacramento area, and I think I remember seeing it years ago, maybe with another truck, but the same box and trailer...Thanks for the nugget on los angeles seattle motor express

The reason I can remember the LASME truck trailers so well  is that when I was an O/O for Dealers Transit another driver and I were bobtailing to the Union City CA terminal from delivering a couple of military trailers to Ft Lewis and took a break at the Arco truck stop just south of Weed on I-5.  We left not long after midnite and we were not far from the Lake when a LASME truck trailer rig came flying by and behind him a set of doubles.  The truck/trailer flipped on a curve-the set of doubles couldn't stop and collided with the overturned rig. The front of the COE KW pulling the doubles was pretty badly damaged but both drivers as well as the team in the truck/trailer emerged unhurt. There was a frontage road and since we were bobtail the CHP let us turn and run back to the overpass to bypass the wreck. Probably about 1967.

Jimmy B

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2010, 05:16:54 AM »
That accident sounds like it might be hard to forget, I think I remember the stop you are talking about.

This last truck, the Pete truck and trailer is a 1976 359. Looks like the box and the van trailer, or the whole rig was owned at one time by Bob Spearin Trucking. With an ICC number of 10876. Hopefully I can ask the owner one of these days at a future show. Would like to know the history.

Jimmy B

Jimmy B

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2010, 05:37:08 AM »
I think until "Red" posts some photos from the show, this will be my last. This 1954 Mack LTHSW, a project truck, will certainly be of interest to Charlie, at least that's what I'm thinking.

Jimmy B

wbache

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2010, 01:01:01 PM »
The LT is well worn but would make a nice restoration as it looks like the parts are all there.  In the whole California Bekins system there was only one leasor back in the 50's who ran out of Sacramento.  He had a 2 axle LT with a sleeper and usually ran east to Winnemuca or Battle Mtn to shuttle with Redman drivers. I met him once at the Hollywood terminal when he showed up there one day. The van line manager in Hollywood had a picture of his rig hanging in his office.  Where the paint is worn on the unit in your pic it looks like it might have been red at one time. Thanks for sharing.

Jimmy B

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2010, 07:12:40 PM »
This Peterbilt was set off in the corner, and again a work in progress. Looks like he's got some chrome already, wish he'd put a information tag in the window like most of the other trucks had, but I'm happy the truck was here, for sure. I can imagine this unit with a 35 ft reefer loaded with Strawberries heading east in the 1950s. I like it!

Jimmy B

nv carl

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2010, 04:20:43 PM »
sounds like it was a good show  wish I'd known about it as I'm only a hour away     

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2010, 04:20:43 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs