If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: C510 KENWORTH, Largest Road Train in Australia  (Read 48284 times)

model maker

• Regular Membership
C510 KENWORTH, Largest Road Train in Australia
« on: July 12, 2010, 12:04:33 AM »
I had never intended to do another write up but I have been asked a number of times to share my project, a problem being, it now is some 18 to 24 months after I commenced building, so some photos may not fully coincide with the script.

Before we go any further I have to say
A VERY BIG THANK YOU TO
 Bulkhaul (subsidiary of the Cooper Families Gulf group of companies) for the inspiration to build this Road train “Sandcraft’s Little BIG Push”
 Kenworth Australia, Kenworth West Australia, Boomerang Engineering WA, Powertrans and the DIESEL (magazine Intermedia Group) for their photos & technical know how, because if it wasn’t for the fantastic help and generosity from all the above, this would still only be some front page photos on “Diesel” a trucking magazine.
All I had to do was ask, and these companies were more than accommodating & forthcoming with information & drawings/ photos etc.
After finishing the T650 I was looking for a model to build that had to be so very typically Australian, as I wanted to show Aussie transport off to its full potential.
I was over at Ray’s place (an old mate) when I saw this magazine cover

Hank's Truck Forum

C510 KENWORTH, Largest Road Train in Australia
« on: July 12, 2010, 12:04:33 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs

model maker

• Regular Membership
Re: C510 KENWORTH, Largest Road Train in Australia
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 12:11:03 AM »

Just asking to be built, with it coming at you
Or going from you

“YES”!!  It was love at first sight & at the commencement of this build “
(THIS IS THE LARGEST ROAD TRAIN in Australia and the World), then this voice screamed at me “count the wheels stupid” after doing this I did a quick calculation of the cost (60c = Aus$) of running stock etc and agreed, this would cost me a fortune, but over the next month or so I could not get the RT off my mind & thought that I would probably spend about the same on models over the next 3 to 4 years any way, the time I thought it would probably take to build this model road rain.

model maker

• Regular Membership
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 12:54:44 AM »
“BulkHaul’s Big Push” is 97mts long with a tare of 120 tons, grossing 400 plus, the drive line is a 600hp Cummins QSK19 with an 18 speed in the Kenworth (motor down rated from 750hp due to driveline limitations) & 400hp Cummins ISX coupled to a 6 speed Alison automatic in the middle of the road train, both working together in tandem, this motor& auto box is controlled from the Kenworth cab & is only turned on when the RT is in a loaded mode.
The expertise in this type of transport combination is reputed to be extremely cost effective above ground

and below ground,

Being exported to many mining sites around the world

Now for the rivet counters, this is a mix match of the best point (in my opinion) of  2 trucks that will make “a model,” I refuse to build replica models, as I don’t consider my self that good a modeller,  my modelling has always been just a case of
“I LOVE IT- NOW HOW CAN I BUILD IT”!!??
Also some of you may think that when reading this that I have a large workshop full of all kinds of tools, WRONG!!!, I work only with 4” angle grinder/ cutter, belt/disc sander, Dermal, drill press, vice, hacksaw, & a handful of files, plus I had a loan of a welder, in other words I believe any one could make something like this

model maker

• Regular Membership
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 12:57:53 AM »
The “BULKHAUL C510 Kenworth” will not look right with a sleeper cab on it (to fit the RC stuff in); I can see I’m going to need plenty of poetic licence here.
Then in another “Diesel” magazine was another C510 Kenworth, a twin steer tri drive that Brambles used in the Northwest of Australia,  this would look great with a sleeper on it, both these trucks are custom builds for very different specific jobs, giving Kenworth Australia a prestigious engineering award from the Society of Automotive Engineers.
These awards are usually ONLY given to the car component & manufactures

Extend that chassis add a side tipper, 36” sleeper & long range fuel tanks. “YES”

When building this model road train the only plastic to be used will be bonnet, cab, sleeper, wheels & axles, (only the Tamiya parts) everything else will be metal, (the next step of my model building apprenticeship), I had so much fun building the metal parts for the T650                             

The DAFman

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 12:13:59 PM »
Hello Model maker,

Many thanks for those pictures, specialy that "underground" one!!!!!

I build also models but I will "stay" by such "big ones" at 1/87-scale!!!!!
(I have "much to many models and much to "less" space!!!!! Now over 15.000, about 11.000 in 1/87-scale and 450 in 1/24/25-scale, the "rest" in "various-scales"!!!!!)

I would love to see "work in progress" pictures of your model!!!!!
Greetings from Germany,

The DAFman, Leo
Deceased.

norseman

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 12:33:13 PM »
These setups are totally incredible!! Man, that thing is just like a freight train without rails, it even has a "pusher engine" in the middle! :-o :-o And that twin steer rig... toughest looking KW ever!  :-o :-o :-o

Jan.
"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper." - Mark Twain

model maker

• Regular Membership
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 03:34:20 AM »
G’DAy Daf man, if you go to the below there are some more on the below ground trucks then hunt around on other BulkHaul or Gulf transport sites for more, you will have a ball, happy building, they both have twin engine setups , they call them the “under ground road trains”
All these are made in Australia
http://www.ptrans.com.au/gallery.htm

Yep Norseman, same as the model will have, just wait till I get the cab in this thread she looks tough alright, I feel I will be hearing more form you
Seeya Tim

model maker

• Regular Membership
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 11:37:02 PM »
POWER POD (middle “B” train)
I decided I would build the power pod (motor & G/box under slung in a trailer) unit first; because if I couldn’t get this built the whole DAM idea was down the drain, even before I had started.
It turned out to be relatively easy; I made a drawing, as this would give me feel for overall size of the complete rig relating to wheel size & plans from Boomerang.
 The first big change was those  torque rods (I hate the way they are in the model kits ) so I re-designed the trailers to look like “BPW” units with all the torque rods running the same direction where ever I could, except for the 2  drive axels

Other than this drawing it’s all in the head, (the model didn’t end up looking too much like the drawing anyhow OH well!!) AND Yep we had a few stuff ups along the way, but ain’t that the fun of it after all.
This will not be built in any sequence, as I can get very board very easley with my building & I will swap to another part of the build, or maybe it’s because I need time to think of how to build that next part before swapping back again.

model maker

• Regular Membership
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 11:41:48 PM »
Each “B train” is 70+ inchers (180+mm) in length and with the truck at 32 inches long (80+mm); the whole RT has an overall length of some 21+ ft (7+mts) 
I  decided to change the layout of the road train to a 3 “B” train as this would save me some $600+ in rolling stock instead of the 2 tri-tri trailers ,a ”B” train then 2 tri-tri trailers, as this will still give me the 6 trailer look.
I sometimes now wish that I had kept it to its original configuration, But $$$$$$$$
 Mock-up a looksee at the motor pod “B train”      all now are now tri, quad, tri

KITS / PARTS NEEDED
 King hauler = (modified to a twin steer, tri drive C510 Kenworth)
Globe = (motor, g/box & diffs for the centre “B train “& second steer for the C510)
“F” 350 Ford for some other parts
 Reduction box on each motor
And a semi load of trailer axel kits (for the 3 “B trains”) 
LAYOUT
The axel layout for this Road Train will be
Twin steer with super Singles
5 drive axels (3 on the truck & 2 on the middle “B train”
28 normal tailer axels for the rest of the RT
TO BUILD A ROAD TRAIN
I had 6 x 1/8th metal bent up ¼ x 3 ¼ x 30 in long
          6 x    “           “                ‘’     “        34 in   “
Using the drawing as a guide, I calculated the distance between axels & toque rods   pivot points, I drew out the profile, then using a 4in angle grinder I cut out the trailers & the dolly’s frames. (Using a Tamiya trailer as a partial profile for the side tipper’s frames)

model maker

• Regular Membership
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 11:47:01 PM »
Top =flat top        centre =”A” section side tipper       bottom =Tamiya trailer   

1st or 3rd “B train” chassis with dolly finished

With the suspension the same as the bottom trailer (power pod) I found it had very limited movement between the axles groups / chassis & road conditions in an off road situation, compared to the “B” section of the “B train” when I added the extra spring (as in the top trailer) I found I had much more movement, & the whole thing would self level no mater how high or low the king pin was. (& I could have those dam torque rod flowing in the same direction like a BPW unit)

Largecar82

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 01:07:35 AM »
That twin steer is one tough lookin KW :-o

The DAFman

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 10:20:18 AM »
Hello Tim,

Many thanks for that link!!!!!
I "knew" a little about those "powertrans" products, but this site gives me more as I ever could "think/dream" of!!!!!

I really love that "own build" T-1250 tractor!!!!!
Any "idea" on wich "truck/brand/type" it is "based"?? (KW or Mack??)
And of course "screaming" for a model!!!!!
(BTW, I build "stand-models/not working" models only!!!!! You "can" make them even as "RC" ones, but that is for me to "expensive"!!!!! :-( :-( :-( :oops: :oops: :oops: :cry: :cry: :cry:)

Both "version's" (the T-1250 and the "underground" one) are also big "challenges" for building in 1-24/25 scale!!!!!

The both "normal" KW "version's" are already  "in progress", using "Herpa and Kibri-parts" and lot's of "scratchbuilding" parts!!!!!
(And I have to "build" a bigger "Down-under" shelf!!!!! :-D :-D :-D :-) :-) :-) :? :? :? :wink: :roll:)

I love your "progress" pictures and looking forward to see more!!!!!
"Happy modelling" and greetings from "good old Europe"!!!!!

The DAFman, Leo

Deceased.

Hunter

• There's more Worth in a Kenworth.
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 10:02:41 PM »
Awesome :-o :-o Looks like another mind-blowing model! :-D
Diesel Trucks: If they are too loud, your too old.

model maker

• Regular Membership
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 02:42:52 AM »
Motor in Frame

2 = 3/8 x 1 in aluminium strips were drilled & tapped then bolted to the inside of the “A” trailer rails, the motor is bolted on top of the aluminium strip & in front of the motor a servo was fixed in place for the G / box, & skid plate

Not quite right but you get idea

All other RC gear will be in the side box’s looking somewhat like the real power pod.

“A” SECTION DRIVE LINE
The drive line for the “A” section of the train is a Globe, engine, g/box & tail shaft coupled to its tandem drive
Good old Aussie ingenuity at its best, hard to beat & exported all over the world including USA, see more about this all Aussie company at.   http://www.gulfgroup.com.au/   

model maker

• Regular Membership
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 02:26:51 AM »
RADIATOR  /  INTERCOOLER ASSEMBELY
 Fabricate the housing out of metal with, with metal fly wire soldered inside.

A plywood layered block is the radiator / intercooler & fan shroud, then on one side I made the intercooler air induction housing that would connect the pressure tube to the intercooler, the fan shroud was made by sanding a plywood block into shape, & gluing shade cloth on both sides,.
The fan was cut out of a circle of aluminium, that was scribed into 8 equal parts,  then cut out & bent to shape, a long nail was went though the fan into the wood & the other end was left protruding through some metal flywire as the hydro motor would locate onto this.
A hydro motor was some thread bar with ends flattened & drilled for the oil pipes,
the pipes was bent wire, the pressure control box = bit of brass, oil filter = plastistruct, the turbo tube = fuel tube, then all was soldered together with some brass square tube, 2 lifting hooks on the roof, when finished this motor pod will defiantly be ready for a refit. (fuel tank breather at the bottom)
\
No 2 “A” trailers (power pod) along with the dolly is done, the rubber sweep behind the dolly is to stop mud/rocks from clogging/damaging the motor & the external dust catcher is used in extreme conditions to help clean the air giving the air cleaner filter longer life, it’s looking good, so ON with the rest of the road train.

What better accolade can one expect than to have the engineers that design, build & service theses rigs give you pats on the back like this
“We are absolutely lost for words, that looks so much like what we have parked in the work shop, we all love your work, & are waiting for the next instalment  please keep us informed, will it be for sale?” (Worksop Supervisor)
I have to keep in FOCUS other wise I start getting side tracked

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 02:26:51 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs