If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: One piece windshields  (Read 17363 times)

W. Lineman

• Regular Membership
One piece windshields
« on: February 08, 2004, 06:32:17 AM »
I see a lot of one piece windshields now.
I've always liked the better winshield wipers you get with one piece glass due to the overlap.
The Ford Louisville had a one piece curved glass when it came out in 1968 and that ran for what, 25 years? with no option for two piece.
Some of the newer models seemed to have options for one or two piece then Volvo came out in 1996 with one piece, no option.
What brought this up is that now I see a lot of Kenworths with one piece curved glass. Not just T-600's -- W-900's too.
Are old habits changing?
Bill

Hank's Truck Forum

One piece windshields
« on: February 08, 2004, 06:32:17 AM »

Steve_WI

One piece windshields
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2004, 07:35:57 AM »
Good Question!

I've always wondered that and yes your right.  It seems like every Kenworth I see has 1 piece windshields.

I honestly don't know the answer.  All I can think of is that it might increase visability due to not having that strip running down the middle as in a 2 piece windshield.  Maybe it increases aerodynamics too seeing that most of the aero trucks out there have 1 piece.

I do know one thing, now when you get a crack in the glass instead of replacing just 1 half of the windshield, you now have to replace the whole thing which is more expensive and timely.    

I've seen on rare occasion 1 piece Pete 379 windshields and thats just ugly in my opinion.  But I actually like the 1 piece on the Kenworths.

Steve
Dec. 23, 2008 The end of an era at GM Janesville.

doug mckenzie

• Regular Membership
  • Doug McKenzie
One piece windshields.
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004, 08:48:47 AM »
I've been told that you can still order the 2-piece windshield on Kenworth's W and T Series trucks.

Two-piece windshields cost less to replace when broken.

If you break the windshield of a T-2000 Kenworth and replace it, the truck has to sit for 1 day while the sealer hardens.
Right-wing Old School.

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
Re: windshields and wipers
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 04:08:18 PM »
Quote from: W. Lineman
I see a lot of one piece windshields now.
I've always liked the better winshield wipers you get with one piece glass due to the overlap.
Bill

I remember seeing old Freightliner cabovers where only the drivers side wiper would be working. I guess each side had it's own motor assembly to run the wipers. Old GMC buses had the same.
Were the windshield washers just a loose packed snowball in the "good ole days"? :roll:

W. Lineman

• Regular Membership
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2004, 04:56:52 PM »
>>I remember seeing old Freightliner cabovers where only the drivers side wiper would be working. I guess each side had it's own motor assembly to run the wipers. <<

Brings back memories of a 1/4 mile truck drag race at the Overdrive Magazine ITA Convention in the late 70's.  A fella with a Freightliner would set that right side wiper goin', and his toy poodle would be standing on the dashboard, jumping and yipping at that wiper like it was a trapped rabbit. Yellow, yellow, yellow, yellow, GREEN, the dog would get knocked to the floor. Only to reappear 100 feet later and fuss at that ol' windshield wiper again. It was a real crowd pleaser.  

Bill

RodeoJoe

One piece windshields
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2004, 06:13:25 PM »
I like the two piecer's better cuz the wiper does a better job on the flat glass.  A driver that wanted to see where he was going in the old days had to be a little creative.  Following a truck through a puddle usually got enough water to do the job, a lot of us carried a squirt bottle full of water that you could reach out the drivers window and douse the windshield.  Most of us just cleaned the windows with paper towel and windex at every pee stop.

Ruffin51

• Regular Membership
    • CONTAINERIZATION
One piece windshields
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2004, 07:36:57 PM »
Older Freightliner conventionals and cabovers with the two piece windshields and the larger line between the pieces that is actually painted the same color as the rest of the truck look GREAT.  To me, that is part of the "classic look."

dbartley

Looking through an old magazine
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2004, 09:29:57 AM »
I thought about this post while looking through a 1982 trucking magazine.  I noticed that the old Peterbilt cabover had a one piece as well as some Ford trucks.

Gary Smith

• Fleet eye for the Chicken guy
One piece windshields
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2004, 10:50:42 PM »
The Pete 372 came with either a one or two piece windshield.  Many (but not all) of the ones with one-piece windshields had 3 wipers, the only case that I know of 3 wipers being used on a North American truck.  They are very common on European COE's.
It's a Mack thing. you wouldn't understand.....

"Every highway, just beyond the high beams"

HiSpeed

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2004, 07:35:50 AM »
>>I remember seeing old Freightliner cabovers where only the drivers side wiper would be working. I guess each side had it's own motor assembly to run the wipers. <<

I know the 72 Hayes conventional my Dad had and the 74 Hayes(mack) COE both had the seperate air driven wiper motors worked pretty good too

countryhauler

• Loud pipes save lives!
    • Myspace
Re: One piece windshields
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 06:14:36 PM »
Personally I'm glad that Peterbilt kept the two piece, it's just classic to peterbilts, but I think the new styling of the w900l(whick I like) looks best with one piece.

bernie

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 11:44:37 PM »
the view thru one piece glass > two piece glass

was told that the Mack two piece is $99 a side and the volvo is $200 for the one piece, so price aint that bad for the amount of windshields ive gone thru in 10yrs

Ghost in the shell

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 10:17:53 PM »
The Pete 372 came with either a one or two piece windshield.  Many (but not all) of the ones with one-piece windshields had 3 wipers, the only case that I know of 3 wipers being used on a North American truck.  They are very common on European COE's.

I think the single screen argo's have 3 wipers :)

Ghost in the shell

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 08:24:10 AM »
the single screen argo's do have 3 wipers.

split screen trucks in europe died off in the 70s, now they're ALL single screen

Mackinac359

• Red Oval obsessed for over 35 years!
    • Tims Trucks - The Obsession
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2011, 05:05:01 AM »
Truck stylists look at the 2 piece windshield as an archaic throwback to prehistoric times.

Truckers (and truck fans) like the inside visibility of a 1 piece but prefer the exterior look of the 2 piece windshield.

If you look at the Peterbilt 1 piece windshield (notice it keeps appearing on their show trucks) the windshield corner radius might look odd on the 389 cab, but the corner radius actually matches the old 359 windshield shape.  The 1 piece looks better today than it did when it was available in the late 90's. Maybe it's the more rounded hoods and visors that we're used to these days. ?

Tim

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2011, 05:05:01 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs