If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: T650 KENWORTH  (Read 20195 times)

model maker

• Regular Membership
T650 KENWORTH
« on: April 25, 2010, 09:12:34 PM »

Hi guys, this is the first RC truck I built, & put this together for another model forum.
It is a T650 Kenworth that we have here in Australia & this is how I made it

TIM BUILT T650

This truck started it’s rebirth some 6 to 8 years ago when I first saw a King Hauler in its box and I just had to have one, but not having the money at the time, I was lucky that I could  to swap a 1/8 scale “Jones” 29 ft pickle fork Thunder Boat for this kit. (I also build f/glass R/C model boats)

Upon first opening the box I was amazed at the complexity of the truck (just like my own rig and others I had driven) and because I always modify my models in some way or other, I can now combine my skills when building this magnificent kit thus ending up with I hope an even better model. 
I very roughly put this kit together to get an idea of how it looked and where things went, then, after studying the truck against brochures and paint scheme charts of a real one.  Confidant I could put my idea into practice, I then did some free hand sketches on a paint chart to see where to cut and how to move things around to build a T650 Kenworth with a high rise sleeper, the kit is now stripped down so work could begin.

As you will see it was a bit like putting the truck into a shredder then pulling the bits out and  re-arranging them, cab and sleeper were cut from each other, roof  was cut off the sleeper, (the high rise sleeper will be modelled of the Monogram 1/16 conventional Kenworth), after separating the bonnet from the cab, it’s top was removed as well as the mud guards from the sides and the tool box steps, 2 fuel tank ends will be glued together, spot lights cut from the bumper, rear frame rails were angle cut and rear cross member rebuilt, other cross members were drilled for air line pipes to pass through, I could not make a set of tank supports that I was happy with so a new plastic form # Fx2 was ordered,  I’m in deep shi!! now if this does not work out, a kit and money down the drain.

The first step was to move the front axle assembly back 20 mm to bring wheels to the right alignment in front of the cab.

Then the rear assembly was re built as I wanted to have brake boosters on all wheels, the boosters were made from plastic tube and plastistruct  rectangle then cut to size and shape, spacers were then added, it wasn’t till I had finished plumbing in the air lines  that I noticed that I had made both back axels with maxi boosters instead only one axel. (O well it was going to be used it for heavy haulage any way). 
The dampers were relocated to the inside of each axel, by re drilling new holes into the frame and making new damper brackets, these were soldered to the suspension stays under the diffs, plastic circles were cut & drilled and had the brake boosters attached and then glued to the axel ends, light cord (air lines) the went from boosters to diff tops then on to air lines in frame rails, the front diff was modified to have a diff lock and air lines.

I’m not sure if you guys would be interested in this sort of thing,

Hank's Truck Forum

T650 KENWORTH
« on: April 25, 2010, 09:12:34 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

model maker

• Regular Membership
Re: T650 KENWORTH
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 09:14:46 PM »

Hunter

• There's more Worth in a Kenworth.
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 01:13:25 AM »
SWEEET I can't wait to see more pics. :-D :-D
Diesel Trucks: If they are too loud, your too old.

jpgraphiks

• That's Headly Lamar.....
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 02:58:36 PM »
YES!...WE ARE INTERESTED IN THIS SORT OF THING!

JP

Ray F

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 06:03:11 PM »
YES!...WE ARE INTERESTED IN THIS SORT OF THING!

JP

AGREED!!!!  :-o :-o

model maker

• Regular Membership
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 03:11:55 AM »
8x20 mm posts were cut from 1/8 square brass tube these were to raise the cab and sleeper, 
Cab and sleeper bases were bolted onto the frame using the 8x20 mm brass posts with 22mm bolts

With cab and sleeper now fixed in place, a V the width of the cab was marked and cut out of centre of the sleeper roof this is then be reversed over the cab and glued,
 (I use chloroform as my glue with a glass syringe and needle as it melts the plastic better, also leaves very little smear on the model if some is spilt) this will give the extended slopping front to the high rise sleeper. After measuring  the Monogram sleeper, I made 5 bulk heads to the same shape as the model, and expanded the dimensions to 1/14 so they would fit then glued them to a plate I had added to the inside top of the sleeper,( remember I have cut the roof off) it was then a case of filling in with plastic sheet to the shape of 5 baulk head profiles, some of these were stitched in with cotton, then when the glue dried the cotton was sanded off.     
The sloping front ended up a flat sheet, so 1/8 strips were cut and glued to the edges and corner were put in, and this then gave the appearance of set back that was needed.
The spoiler came from a 1/8 scale Monogram Corvette shortened to fit, roof vent is from a 1/25 fuel tank end.

model maker

• Regular Membership
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 03:18:34 AM »

The tool boxes relocated under the cab with handles fabricated from wire  the bonnet top was the angle cut to fit between the cab and the grill, sides were made to fit the new shape with air cleaner slots cut out, the original mud guards were then glued in place as a support for the new ones, a new front panel lip was made to fit the bonnet/mud guards  because of the set back, headlight front panels were designed that would use the headlight and the spot lights together, a side panel was formed to fit on the guard to give it the T650 box shape, the original mud guard had a section removed at the top  for the air cleaner’s dust collectors  it was filled in with plasticard then shaped, the air cleaners were scratch built with plastistruct pipe & elliptical tubing heads, as was the snorkels at the top.  Now some  problems started to surface, the width ratio between grill to guard was way out did not look realistic at all, not a happy chappie have to a think about this, will leave for now and come back to it later.

model maker

• Regular Membership
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 03:22:12 AM »

Hunter

• There's more Worth in a Kenworth.
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 11:58:24 AM »
Coming together great modelmaker :-D
Diesel Trucks: If they are too loud, your too old.

model maker

• Regular Membership
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 12:05:24 AM »
SORRY I HAVE LOST THESE BONNET BUILD PHOTO’S
when I was having a Kodak clean up, some later ones will show this
An assortment of fuel and oil filters, air cleaners, air start tank and storage bins for under the sleeper were scratch built with pieces of plastistruct and skeleton.
An air release valve was fabricated from plastistruct & skeleton and added to one end of the fuel tank ends this would go under the sleeper (air start tank for the motor) hoses are heavy and light braided cord.

A measurement was taken between the front and rear guards and 4 new (long distance) fuel tanks were made from 25m plastic water pipe, the filler caps were made from plastistruct sheet, also a fuel  gauge with fuel and return lines added, the 4 sets of tank brackets were re located  drilled and taped, ( the rails are starting to look like Swiss cheese) tank steps made from some plastic checker plate (diamond plate) left over from my 1/25 modelling days were attached.

model maker

• Regular Membership
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 12:07:54 AM »

A spring loaded pogo stick (this holds the air hoses etc) was made from a sprung aerial base and some of tube.
The turn table (5th wheel) was rebuilt into a fully oscillating unit with a manual release handle, same as my own truck,  this was done by using the original turn table, a  2 ½ inch circle of steel was cut out with a hole saw  onto which I pop riveted and soldered the coupler plate, this was then drilled for the pivot pin and a plastic rub ring was also  hole cut to go between the coupler circle plate and the base, the bass was fabricated from the same steel and drilled for the pivot bolt and the head was soldered  to the base plate and the nut was ground away and soldered so the pivot pin could go through,  the release handle is some  a peace of light aluminium bent to shapes, some more  light aluminium angle was made with slots cut out go around the suspension plates,  holes were then drilled for base plate and frame rails,  a spring was bolted in the front to keep it at the right angle,  this will be strong enough to pull anything without braking and looking a lot like my own low profile ball race turn table
 (All my trailers will have a wedge between the t /table entry V so it can only turn with the trailer)

model maker

• Regular Membership
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 12:11:48 AM »

Now for those damn front guards, have to see if I can soften the corners or something so it doesn’t look so wide, maybe change the shape slightly?!! , have tried so many things, not having a lot of joy and am loosing interest very fast.

The exhausts were relocated to the back of the sleeper to lessen noise pollution in the cab; the exhausts framework was made from brass rectangle and square tube that was cut and joints soldered, inserts were inserted in the tube so I could drill and tap for the muffler bolts

Those damn mud guards will not come out looking right, it is really bugging me, so much so, that, IT was banished to Siberia (back cupboard in disgust).

jpgraphiks

• That's Headly Lamar.....
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 01:31:34 AM »
Now thats coming along very nicely!

great work...

JP

model maker

• Regular Membership
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 12:06:35 AM »

Now some 6 to 7 years later I have retired and the other day I was surfing the net and came across the Tamiya Truck Club sight, there were a couple of really great models, one K.H was built as a Peter Built just by putting some stickers on it, this searchlight came on , maybe build the T650 as a “TIM BUILT, WE ARE BACK ON TRACK
It does not matter if the guards/ grill are not the perfect ratio width and shape, and now surprise, surprise they don’t look that bad.
A new work bench etc has to be built and I have to set myself up all over again, here we are Christmas 008 and Sandcraft Transport Systems is ready to open its doors again.

The front mud guard panels are recut and assembled and a concave putty filler edge was used at the bonnet/guards right angel join to soften it, I ran some taped a ¼ inch each side of the seam, then putty was towelled the into the right angle join  (I used a piece ¼ round tube for the trowel), the tape was then removed along with excess putty,  all the outside edges were rounded off and filled in with putty then sanded  (skeleton tree was used as a back bone for these joins, sanded at right angel flats then glued in place, (all the plastic dust is kept to strengthen joins  these join/s are wet out with chloroform then dust was sprinkled on top and repeated if necessary and let dry) the inside square corners of the head light surrounds were then filled to give that curved  concave look, now lots of  fine sanding 

model maker

• Regular Membership
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 12:13:28 AM »

This is how I use the dust and skeleton and dust for extra strength

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 12:13:28 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs