If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: 13 speed "cheater gear"  (Read 19726 times)

Dave

13 speed "cheater gear"
« on: April 17, 2010, 05:10:21 PM »
Has anyone else heard about this, or even used the 13 speed transmission's cheater gear? Might only work with older models. Years ago, my former brother in law owned a mid 70's White Western Star with a 350 Cummins and a 13 OD Road Ranger Transmission. My oldest brother also drove for him, hauling logs out of the bush in north western Ontario. Normally the "low" gear position is only used when in low range on the splitter, but there is a gear there when the splitter is in direct. I remember my brother in law telling my brother when and where to use this gear. Used mainly in the winter, when going up icy logging road hills when loaded and you found yourself in 5th, needing to grab a gear, downshifting into the "low" gear position without moving the splitter, instead of shifting into 4th. A hidden gear between 4th and 5th.  Apparently all the loggers at that time used this gear, as a quicker, more consistent downshift than 5th to 4th, where a missed range shift may cause you to spin out on the hill, or end up sliding downhill, backwards, loaded. This made the 13 more popular than a 15 for logging, for this reason. This was only to be used as little as possible, as it was thought that parts of the transmission weren't properly lubricated when in this gear.

Thanks,

Dave

Hank's Truck Forum

13 speed "cheater gear"
« on: April 17, 2010, 05:10:21 PM »

jencam

• Regular Membership
Re: 13 speed "cheater gear"
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 05:21:48 PM »
Yes I remember my uncle driving a '68 W925 with a 250 Cummins and a 13 speed and I would always watch what gear he was in.  When he used that "cheater" gear, I asked him what gear was that?  He had an interesting name for it, he called it "deep under".  I knew that it didn't match with the shifting diagram on the dash and that he just made that up to keep me happy. (I was 11 years old at the time)  Since I've driven many transmissions since then, I learned that inside the 13 speed that a big gear is up against a little gear(when it's in deep under), and that if it breaks, there's no denying to a mechanic what happened.  I've used it a few times by accident, always remembering my uncle and what the mechanic said!

doug mckenzie

• Regular Membership
  • Doug McKenzie
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 12:38:00 AM »

Took a road test back in the late 70's ultimately for Northern Telecom.
The tractor was an I-H S-F2500 from McCleave Leasing in Brampton Ontario with a 350 Cummins and a 13-speed.
Guy who "tested" me told me I wasn't using the transmission correctly because I didn't use "Low" in the High side of the box.

At that time I'd a;ready had 4 years of using a 13-speed behind 318 Detroits.

Never saw the tester again - only worked at Northern once before winding up somewhere else.
Right-wing Old School.

faseddie

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 01:19:53 AM »
  There is no doubt that the gear can be used but , prolong use can cause damage to the transmission because it does not oil correctly when in that gear, if u read the owners manual it will tell u to never use low gear in direct range, i drive a peterbilt with a 18 speed whicth is about the same as a 13 but u can split the gears down in the basement and up stairs as well like a 13, its not a good ideal to run the tranny in the cheater gear, but in a time when you feel like a fast downshift must be used.

Wee Willy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 02:21:50 AM »
  There is no doubt that the gear can be used but , prolong use can cause damage to the transmission because it does not oil correctly when in that gear, if u read the owners manual it will tell u to never use low gear in direct range, i drive a peterbilt with a 18 speed whicth is about the same as a 13 but u can split the gears down in the basement and up stairs as well like a 13, its not a good ideal to run the tranny in the cheater gear, but in a time when you feel like a fast downshift must be used.

Ditto.
The first rule of the road is:
"If anything can happen, at any time, it will!"

maniac

• Regular Membership
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 01:38:31 PM »
prolong use can cause damage to the transmission because it does not oil correctly

I use it all the time, my 18 speed has a pump, but even without it, the trans is a splash oil system, will oil as long as it turns.

Years ago I had my 15 speed out of my cabover to change a gear out, we spun the trans with the top cover off, the oil went 5 feet high, this was a 15 speed with no pump.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 08:59:16 AM by maniac »

LarryKnox

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 04:48:05 PM »
I remember my dad showing me this trick years ago,but i think he was driving a truck with a 9 speed at the time.

willyboy

• It's in the blood
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 06:08:04 PM »
I'm not showing off or anything like that, however I rebuild fuller transmissions for living. so here is why using hte cheater gear is a bad idea.
the road ranger is actually 2 transmissions, the front box is a 5 speed and the rear box is 2 or 3 speed.  Low gear is at the back of the main box just infront of reverse. the bearing on the mainshaft between these 2 transmissions is just a big single row roller bearing. The rear box has heavy bearings on countershafts and a double taper bearing on the rear output shaft. The top gear position in low range locks the input shaft to the mainshaft and none of the gears in the front box are even used, (except the double overdrive trans). The rear transmission main shaft is driven by 2 small pinions right ar the rear next to the yoke. So this means that there are plenty of big heavy bearings to absorb the extreme torque of low range. When you use the cheater gear you are locking the front mainshaft to the rear mainshaft and driving it with the large low gear in the front box, problem is the only bearing available to contain that extreme torgue is the 1 roller bearing between the 2 boxes and it will not stand for that for very long.
After reading this over i hope it makes some sense, sorry if it doesn't.
Neil   

Dwayne

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 06:58:06 PM »
After driving a 10spd I caught myself doing it a few times in 13's and 18's, the trucks never acted adversely to it.  :|

Angry Beaver

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 07:43:17 PM »

Eaton operating instructions state:

Never move the shift lever to the LO gear position while operating in HI range.

I would think that if there was no problem using the gear Eaton would have added it to the shift pattern giving 14 speeds instead of 13, also what happens if you split the "cheater gear" or shift into "cheater gear" while splitter is engaged?

I tend to follow the manufactures recomendations, it usually costs less  :wink:

Aaron

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 06:27:31 PM »
Commonly known as the no no gear for reasons just stated by willy not  agear to put a lot of pressure on, take off from a stop sign when empty bobtail with low gear rears cheat it a little for an in between gear and it will split also, so when you get into it in direct it will split to over, then you can split up to direct 5th with very little rpm loss, but full load under full onion is a no no.

Got it Done

• Downtown Pagosa Springs
    • My pics
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 08:05:09 AM »
I use mine all the time incuding climbing hills with loads GVW's of 100000+. I never had a problem. I had the tranny out a couple of years ago because of a bad grinding sound (turned out to be a piece of the clutch brake rattling around) I had the mechanic check out all the gears and the hard surfacing and found no wear or damage anywear. The tranny had almost 1 million miles on it with plenty of miles in the mountains pulling a tridem. People who work on them regularly or had been told by those who do may disagree but MY driving on MY tranny did not bear this out.

Pinner

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 02:27:39 AM »
To me there really isn't any reason to use it, not much different gearing anyhow.

And 4th to 3rd is an easier shift and that is the critical shift when climbing an icy hill.

buckjaw

• http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz128/Buckjaw28
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 12:59:44 AM »
I think Ive heard this referred to as "Mystery 6th"???? Only tried it twice on different trucks that were already wore out, at a very low speed.

Slow and steady wins a race!

Chris

Boll Weevil

• Regular Membership
  • "Ford W9000's rule!"-Boll Weevil, age 11
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 03:12:57 AM »
We have both 9 and 10 speeds at work and after driving 10's for a period of time I'll get in a 9 speed and accidently go "over and down" out of habit. The "non-gear" on the trucks that I drive has a very close ratio to 5th.
Jim

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 03:12:57 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs