Author Topic: "MIGHTY MITE"  (Read 6902 times)

Jerry Austin

Re: "MIGHTY MITE"
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 04:47:27 PM »
 ....something else worth considering.....back in the 50's and 60's, when new autos, buses, and trucks made thier public debut, quite often, all sorts of free "promos" were offered in conjunction with whatever vehicles was then being put on public view: brochures, booklets, postcards, small toys. Wondering if any sort of "promo" items were offered when the "MITES" made thier debut.......more than likely PIE-offered promos...... :roll:  Jerry
"THE RUMBLE OF THE DIESEL, THE SHIFTIN' OF THE GEARS! THE RHYTHM WHEN HE'S MOVIN' IS MUSIC TO HIS EARS! CANNONBALL! CANNONBALL!"

RobG

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 06:43:44 PM »
just found this magazine at an antique sale

Jerry Austin

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2010, 07:05:31 PM »
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
"THE RUMBLE OF THE DIESEL, THE SHIFTIN' OF THE GEARS! THE RHYTHM WHEN HE'S MOVIN' IS MUSIC TO HIS EARS! CANNONBALL! CANNONBALL!"

eymurphey

• When we see what we want to see, and hear what we
    • "I'M LIKING TRUCKS"
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2010, 04:49:15 AM »
Let us for the sake of chronology call this MIGHTY MITE I -- thought up in 1946, built in 1947

This then would logically be MIGHTY MITE II -- built in 1957 aprox

Making this seem to be MIGHTY MITE III -- built 1965

So, I must now say that I am a little confused by the article posted by Rob. My impressions at this point were that the MMI Conventional is owned by Allen Koenig. And the MMIII 282 still operates under SOUTHEASTERN colors. Is there confusion about the Bubblenose and the conventional?

It is my feeling based on what has come into light so far, that ALLEN KOENIG of Midwest Specialized Transport  is the fortunate owner of BOTH the MMI and MMII. The MMIII is owned by William T. Cassels of Southeastern Freight.

PS -- BELIEVE THAT TO BE MR.KOENIG IN THE PICTURE WITH THE BN PETE!!

THANKS ROB FOR THE GREAT FIND!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 06:18:27 AM by eymurphey »

"I'M LIKING TRUCKS"  ---- http://georgedennis.blogspot.com/

" We shall learn more & more about less & less until we know everything about nothing"

eymurphey

• "I'M LIKING TRUCKS"
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2010, 07:39:51 AM »
Think this would be the appropriate place to post this hand crafted labor of love!!!

http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Heim.htm

« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 07:42:33 AM by eymurphey »

" We shall learn more & more about less & less until we know everything about nothing"

eymurphey

• "I'M LIKING TRUCKS"
Re: "MIGHTY MITE" --- The Southeastern Find
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2010, 08:06:04 AM »
MAIL CALL!!!!!!  ---- 2010 UPDATE!!!!!

THE MIGHTY MITE POSTCARDS FROM SOUTHEASTERN JUST ARRIVED -- TWO OF THEM :-o :-o :-o  I WILL REPOST THE PICTURES HERE WITH THE POSTCARD EXPLANATION -----

The Mighty Might is a 1/2 scale model of the standard twin trailer linehaul equipment used by Southeastern Freight Lines. It was custom built in 1965 to tour the US promoting highway safety. 95% of the MIGHTY MITE'S parts are exactly 1/2 scale and must be handmade, thus they cost 2x as much as similar parts on a standard Southeastern rig.

The Mighty Mite has served as a goodwill ambassador for the trucking industry and has been viewed by millions of people through television, trade exhibitions, parades and company sponsored events.

SPECS--- built in 1965 by PETERBILT

32' 6' long including trailers

4' wide

6' 6 1/2" high

Mercedes-Benz diesel engine

60 mph max speed

10,000 lbs. max weight capacity

« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 01:40:46 PM by eymurphey »

eymurphey

• "I'M LIKING TRUCKS"
Re: "MIGHTY MITE" The difference in 350 pictures ---
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 05:28:49 AM »

Just received my copy of RON ADAMS "PETERBILT TRUCKS 1939 - 1979" , where as Jerry mentions is a picture of this truck on page 57.
Since I can not at this point use that picture for a comparison to the one above, I have copied a picture used in this thread that shows how this truck first appeared when received by PIE --

What I did not notice is the obvious difference between the B&W photo and the COLOR photo from the quote. First off the DROM, secondly, the SHORT CAB. At some point PIE must have had some modifications to the original to the point of appearance in the colr photo without DROM and the lengthened cab.

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE STORY???

Jerry Austin

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2010, 05:55:29 AM »
Hey, George: As we discussed last evening, I think my original theory (that you've just mentioned) seems (at least for now) a viable scenario. I'm wagering that, somewhere along the line, modifications were made, changing it from a DROM to a "STRAIGHT" tractor/traiiler combo? IF this was the case....then 'WHY"?? Perhaps it had to do with handling qualities.....as I said, at this point, I can only speculate.....  Jerry

eymurphey

• "I'M LIKING TRUCKS"
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2010, 12:19:09 PM »

Jerry -- HMMMM --perhaps we have a clue as to the B&W Pictures of the 350 COE from the PETE BOOK and the one I posted here on reply # 21 showing the 350 with the DROM and SHORT CAB.

That clue lays in the caption to the picture you posted above and that I'm quoting here.

" Here is a scan of picture sent me by Ken's friend Jim Smith, who was with PIE in Yakima and Spokane and previous to that, with West Coast Fast Freight in various capacities almost from the start of WCFF after the war. This was the very first Mighty Mite Pete. Note it is a conventional. I think it was rebuilt into a COE with drom box later. "

Now here is a possibility we did not think of!!!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 12:25:18 PM by eymurphey »

eymurphey

• "I'M LIKING TRUCKS"
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2010, 01:23:43 PM »
I "think" I've got it now (could be famous last words)  :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

In 1947 Peterbilt built a Conventional model Mighty Mite for PIE

According to the article posted here by RobG from TOY TRUCKER - It was put up for sale in 1952. No buyers, so is was given a face lift --

So, was it then given another "face lift" to make it this??? --

Making this a conglomeration of all the above ??? --

So now there ARE two MIGHTY MITE SURVIVORS?????

Al Koenig knows the answer -- I still await hearing from him -- till then this is my best chronology and deduction--

« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 10:04:29 PM by eymurphey »

Jerry Austin

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2010, 03:54:40 PM »
".....dum-de-DUM-dum.....!!" :-o :-o :-o Hey, George: This TRULY is getting MORE and MORE intriguing as the days go by!! :-o I cannot WAIT until we FINALLY get a "concrete" answer from a "Higher Authority"...... :roll: Seriously, it is truly amazing how this topic has truly escalated into a true "bite-your-nails-and-hold-onto-the-edge-of-your-seat" mystery!! Keep us posted, please........(!!)  Jerry
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 06:27:15 PM by Jerry Austin »

eymurphey

• "I'M LIKING TRUCKS"
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2010, 01:58:11 AM »

This is Al Koenigs' MIGHTY MITE, purchased in the mid 1970's. Al is the second owner.

This truck started out life as the Conventional built in 1947and based on the PETERBILT 344.  It received it's first face lift in 1952, when the conventional 344 was converted into the Bubblenose 350 COE, with dromedary. Latter the dromedary was dropped, the cab lengthened, and a different trailer may have been constructed for PIE for this third configuration. . In the picture quoted, the PIE trailer has been replaced by a tanker. It is my understanding that Al Koenig still owns this MIGHTY MITE as of 2010. This MIGHTY MITE CONFIGURATION is now known as MIGHTY MITE I.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 02:14:39 AM by eymurphey »

LarryKnox

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2010, 03:02:22 AM »
Jerry,Back in the early 1980's there was a man by the name of O.B.DELL in Pittsfield Il. that built two miniature semi-trucks with trailers for his son and daughter.One of the little tractors was a cabover and the other was a conventional,both were the same size as the P.I.E. Mighty Mites.He also began building a larger version based on a 1 ton dually chassis.The smaller trucks were powered by a ford pinto 4 cylinder and an automatic transmission.The crafstmanship was excellent :-o.Mr.Dell was building these little big rigs for customers and i used to have a sales brochure for his business.

eymurphey

• "I'M LIKING TRUCKS"
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2010, 02:11:47 AM »
Jerry,Back in the early 1980's there was a man by the name of O.B.DELL in Pittsfield Il. that built two miniature semi-trucks with trailers for his son and daughter.One of the little tractors was a cabover and the other was a conventional,both were the same size as the P.I.E. Mighty Mites.He also began building a larger version based on a 1 ton dually chassis.The smaller trucks were powered by a ford pinto 4 cylinder and an automatic transmission.The crafstmanship was excellent :-o.Mr.Dell was building these little big rigs for customers and i used to have a sales brochure for his business.

Larry -- Do you remember what truck or trucks these were patterned after?? How about pictures????

eymurphey

• "I'M LIKING TRUCKS"
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2011, 09:18:09 AM »
A LONG overdue update ---

Almost a year ago I was in the hospital for nearly a week when I received a phone call from Alan Koenig regarding the old Pete COE Mighty Mite he still owns. At that time we exchanged information, but I was not able to contact him again until last week -- we will, I hope, talk again this evening. He has a wealth of information regarding the original MIGHTY MITE and it's subsequent rebuilds, and also has more info on the surviving PETE owned by
Southwestern. I hope he will share copies of his pictures, and history --- more to come!!!