If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: How can an owner operator make a living?  (Read 36892 times)

Maurizio

• Jesus is the way and the truth and the life.John14
    • http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m10/maurice273/AndersonWebb.jpg
Re: How can an owner operator make a living?
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2006, 02:27:40 AM »
Thats the way this business is Trashman. it has its up and downs. My dad had a small feet of 10 trucks and trilers. he started out back in the 70' and trucking was great back then made a ton of money. and it was a very good business to be in. but like we all know the change in 1979 or 1980 made a big change in all transportions business. he lost ever thing he ever worked for. by 1990. but he was like most ever one in this web site he loved trucks and the trucking business. and it was in has blood. you have to love trucks to be in the trucking busniness. If we could only bring back back the good old days. days we will never see again, :cry:

Maurice

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2006, 02:27:40 AM »

Camstyn

« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2006, 10:06:01 PM »
I'm new to the owner/operator thing but I started out in a manner in which many would consider a bankruptcy waiting to happen.. New shiny truck 100% financed with big payments. I also bought my own set of Doepker super-B trailers, 100% financed. However, I've been working for this company since April and know what kind of money the truck makes. We average over $3.00/mile and I average 11-13,000 miles per month. There's a lot of profit left at the end of the month after ALL expenses are accounted for and its working out great. I'm working my butt off but I enjoy it, I worked just as hard as a company driver. I definitely find it very rewarding.

Trashman

• We Cater Weddings
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2006, 12:54:20 AM »
Camstyn, I wouldn't say you're a bankruptcy waiting to  happen. You got a gig, bought the right equipment for the job, and went to it. I'm not mechanically inclined any further than patching a tire and changing fluids so I would buy the brand new truck too, especially if I were going over the road or doing heavy duty local miles.
What I would call a bankruptcy waiting to happen is a guy who goes out, buys what you bought and doesn't have a solid trusted well researched proven source for work (even then I'm sure you all know nothing's forever).
I've had people tell me they've got a great gig going on, they just need someone with 10 trucks to do it and that I should go and buy 10 more trucks....."get outta here." YOU go buy 10 trucks and do it, if it's such a good gig.
I hope you keep us all updated on how you're doing. I am genuinely happy when I hear stories of O/O success, rather than hear disaster stories I hear/ see.

Derailed

« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2006, 04:20:54 PM »
I somehow missed this thread but how guys are making out today is a question Ive often wondered. The last time I purchased fuel as an O/O was in 98 and i think I paid $1.33/gallon. I see advertisements now for O/O and some of the rates arent much more than they were then and fuel is double, not to mention health insurance. I had some good paying gigs hauling gas in the winter and asphalt in the summer and did very well at it back then especially starting with an older well maintained truck that was easy to pay off. I also liked the ability to take some time off when I wanted and not worry about a $1200 payment getting made. I have a friend now that hauls brand new heavy machinery and seems to do good, that always seemed to pay well.   

JUNIOR

• Regular Membership
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2006, 03:15:08 AM »
Derailed
To answer your post as I was one of the first to back awhile ago. I have sold my truck and gone into the office of the family company.Since sept 05 we have gone from 10 trucks to 20 the o/o average is now up to 1.52/mile ins and plates paid.We have been blessed in the fact that we are still busy even thou the genral trucking population has slowed way down and have had zero turnover for the 2006 calander year.
Junior

Volvos Rock

« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2007, 06:52:21 AM »
thanks for the pic alan

lakehead

« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2008, 11:05:12 AM »
MY COMPANY PAYS OWNER/OPERATORS $1.02 FOR TANDEM WEIGHT, AND A WHOPPING $1.04 FOR QUAD WEIGHT PLUS A 29 CENT PER MILE FUEL SURCHARGE
 :cry: :cry: ANYONE THAT WHOULD WORK FOR THAT IS NOT A BUSINESS MAN,MY OPINION THEY ARE STEERING WHEEL HOLDERS :wink:
old school and PROUD of it

Pogo Stick

« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2008, 05:20:33 AM »
Plenty run the 401 Corridor for a whopping $1.13 / mile average loaded / empty and thats before the insurance , satelite , costs are deducted however they have a fuel cap but its still tight to make $

rod crowley

« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2009, 02:02:43 AM »
For me its very simple.i found a truck and paid cash for it,with no payments..its a breeze.if you really wanna succed..dont buy a new truck as the payments will kill you.

Paccar 105

« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2009, 08:44:20 AM »
the first thing you buy before you buy your own truck is a CALCULATOR.It will be your most important tool.It will tell you if an old truck runs cheaper or more expensive then an new truck.I will tell you if the firms you haul for pay enough.Just my 2 cents.Good luck to all you who buy their own truck but remember a lot  off you will not make it  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Got it Done

• Downtown Pagosa Springs
    • My pics
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2009, 05:48:29 PM »
Expenses+wage+profit=Revenue
Anything less is an equation that will end with failure.

Paccar 105

« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2009, 07:06:33 AM »
CORRECTION i made a typo which i want to correct

in my previous post on this subject (2 posts up) i forgot the letter T so

I will tell you if the firms you haul for pay enough

should be

IT will tell you if the firms you haul for pay enough meaning the calculator will tell you

Sorry to all  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

coloradogreen

• 10-4 Magazine
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2010, 05:14:30 PM »
I do wonder how these guys can go out and order these rigs and then turn around and have the sitting in a shop (losing money) being customized (spending money). Although, some of the younger guys out there running real hopped-up trucks are the next-generation in some small-to-medium sized family operation, and daddy is willing to drop the money for a new truck to be customized. My editor and I were talking about the direction trucks are headed in and he had mentioned that all of the emissions equipment that they're dropping on these rigs are adding upwards $30,000 to the cost of the truck, which is of course passed onto the buyer. This explains why even in the terrible economy we're experiencing that new trucks can be upwards of $160,000-$180,000 (check out the prices of a spec'd out LoneStar).

A friend of mine and are are going to be buying a unit (likely one of us will focus on cash for the rig, the other for the trailer), and we're going used all the way. And we're not buying the truck unless we have the cash outright. When we buy the truck we want to truly be owners when we drive it off the lot. We're not going with any fancy rigs, massive, fuel-guzzling engines, etc.. That doesn't mean we're going to settle for some underpowered set-up, but we're not going to buy a 900A with a KTA600.
Your friendly neighborhood vegan heavy haul punk.

"Suzie-Q"

IMAGES COPYRIGHT TROY MILLER/ 10-4 MAGAZINE

Contributor 10-4 Magazine

rod crowley

« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2010, 10:59:55 AM »
i made $ 200.000 last year and ill be doing even beter this year.Watch your expenses and learn that chrome and chicken lights arent gonna make money and you'll succeed.

LocalCoilHauler

• A Dirty Truck is a Working Truck
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2010, 11:13:56 AM »
Kinda late for commenting but I agree with Rob on how it's hard for an Owner op to make a living!!!! Trucks today are on average 130,000! Almost all the darn company's that are hiring today want late model equipment from Owner ops. I'm not sure if they're stupid or something but when you make a 130,000 investment in something and let's say you have a family with three kids it's kinda hard to make money!! It's like your paying the employer for you to drive. Kinda frusterating especially when you have equipment that is let's say 10 years old and is as good or better than late model equipment!! 
It's Appearance might be Half yours but it's Reliability might be Twice yours!!

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2010, 11:13:56 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs