If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: How can an owner operator make a living?  (Read 36821 times)

bellydumper

How can an owner operator make a living?
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2004, 10:25:50 AM »
yeah i am with can man i live over here in az and i have my own belly dump and right now there is not much going on cause it is so cold and with the rain and stuff makes it hell well i am just starting off and there is another outfit here in my town and when someone calls me i give them my rates wich i will haul for 58 dollars an hour cause my truck is paid for and i can afford it but that is as low as i will go, but these guys will call and say they will work for 40 and hour well i could do that but if i blow a tire there goes a days pay you know its a cut throat buisness.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2004, 10:25:50 AM »

william_wilson

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2004, 12:49:19 PM »
If you'll find a Very Good Contract out there, You can afford being O/O. But, I will be a Used Truck first Like I did. My payments are payed up. :o  :D

CAN MAN

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2004, 06:03:02 AM »
To start out with a new truck would not be a possibilty $ wise.

You can work up to a new truck by starting out with a good used tractor, many companys flip their fleets at 3 years and they still have warranty left.

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2005, 09:09:28 PM »
Hi Wee Willy:
Welcome aboard.
I'm not thinking of running out and becoming an owner-operator.
My post was for discussion purposes only.
Thanks though for your interesting reply.
An old KW ?
That's sounds like it would have been very cool to drive.
I'm sure you likely miss that old truck.....just a bit....( but your back and backside probably don't miss it at all)

Now, I saw an ad in a US publication TRUCK PAPER; December 31/04 issue.
$10,000 SIGN ON BONUS!!!!!!
if you want to own a NEW PETERBILT
but have no money and no credit

Call Today!
Hurricane Express

Doesn't that sound like heartbreak and bankruptcy waiting to happen?
All for the sake of wanting to drive a Peterbilt?

JUNIOR

• Regular Membership
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2005, 10:31:49 AM »
You no there are carriers out there who do pay a fair wage and you can make a good living working there I no at our place we are paid 75% of the gross 100% of the fuel surcharge all we pay is bridge crossings and road tolls. I personally run 2 trips a week Ontario to Wisconson and 2004 gross just shy of 250,000  and after all the math was done for the year it worked out to $1.36 to the truck for all miles ran over the 4 years i have been here 1.352 to the truck on all miles so if the company is advertising for trucks its PROBABLY not the place for you if they are looking like we are to find the right guys to fit into the company mix by word of mouth or by guys stopping by (doing some leg work) for a job the good jobs are out there.
As for new trucks my payment is 2300/ month never missed one yet and we are a one income family wife is mom and we live quite comforaby my feelings are if your wife has to work to pay for the house so you can look after the truck call the repo man and give him your adress cause your bankrupt and just dont no it yet,
Oh and by the way in case by now your wondering we are looking for one o/o we are a small fleet 9 trucks family run (father and 2 sons) my dad and brother are in the office I still like being out otr but the wages I quoted are no different between me or any other o/o that we have.

Junior

JUNIOR

• Regular Membership
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2005, 10:34:51 AM »
I forgot it is 90-95% straight load dryvan work no touch and cool lookin trailers. This is not a job advertisment it is a way to let some guys no that if your willing to look they are out there

Junior

CAN MAN

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2005, 05:29:04 PM »
$250,000.00 at $1.352 / mile = 184,911 miles  :roll:  you running TEAM ? your #'s do not add up.

EXAMPLE

Toronto / Madison Wis is aprox 1340 miles round trip X 2 trips  / week = 2680 miles

184,911 divided by 2680 = 68 weeks

JUNIOR

• Regular Membership
gross vs net
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2005, 07:20:14 AM »
Canman
The 250000 was gross and the 1.352 is net we are paid percentage. Also the Wisconson run is not the only thing we do its just or main lane we also run to other places I dont get off the wisconson alot but its not the only place I go. So no I dont run team i ran alitttle over a 138000 miles last year for just shy of 250000  
249251 gross
186938.25 net
138268 miles for the year
2658 miles per week avg
1.3519993 to the truck so you did catch me
I have no reason to lie to you or anyone else sir if you care to redo your math now that is all down.
Junior
P.S this dosent include fuel surcharge

CAN MAN

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2005, 08:09:15 AM »
Yeah OK  :roll:

itrucker

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2005, 03:26:02 AM »
to sum this thread up:

Yeah--being an O/O can be profitable IF you do your homework, listen to wise advice, start with what you need and not what you want (buy used, etc.), network to get the right runs (think and work smarter), and know exactly where you money is going at all times.

Hmm...sounds like a business owner to me!   :)

road.rascal

Re: How can an owner operator make a living?
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2006, 08:38:13 PM »
the lease operators here are being paid fairly well i know Ron one of our guys is going from calgary to sidar mt one way loaded the other pulling train weights and he does this trip 3 times a week and gets $4500 a week so i think some lease operators can make it easily  :-)

CAN MAN

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2006, 05:06:59 AM »
Some make it and some do not , know an O/O who made $2.00 + / mile in 1990 ($3.05 in todays value ) + trailer provided and tolls paid and today 4 trucks later he has yet to get 1 paid off :-o

Grossing $4,500.00 per week averages out to $1.68 / mile and 54 hours driving time , aprox 2370 miles to do 3 round trips from Calgary to Snider  as you mentioned but what are his costs per week, its not always what you make its what you end up with.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 05:51:43 AM by CAN MAN »

road.rascal

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2006, 03:11:34 PM »
well he only buys fuel from shell here in calgary at company cost once every trip and packs a lunch so to me hes making money and from Calgary to Sidar isnt that bad of a trip he only uses number 3a and 2 and he gets paid time to load and unload and he doesnt even do the loading himself hes got a good run

CAN MAN

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2006, 05:25:59 PM »
Packing a lunch and buying company fuel is a good deal regardless of who your with or what you haul , running loaded in both directions will be using fuel likely in the 5 MPG range, and its not the greatest roads for fuel economy.

Basically he's making a living at a decent rate.

Cal

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2006, 08:31:05 PM »
The only way I found to make any money is run the oldest nastyest most beat up pos I could get and live in the damn thing, Two years ago I was makeing 75cents a mile and running a 1946 AutoCar C-90G, My cheat trick was to use off road Gas and add extra tanks so I didn't have to by gas on the road.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2006, 08:31:05 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs