If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: trucks better or worse  (Read 17075 times)

norseman

• Administrator
Re: trucks better or worse
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2009, 10:02:07 AM »
(...) I'd rather look cool than be comfortable (...)

Now there's the exact opposite of my philosophy on life, hehe.  :lol: :lol:

Jan.
"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper." - Mark Twain

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2009, 10:02:07 AM »

Paccar 105

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2009, 10:08:15 AM »
Jan,i agree.When you are young , you think mostly about looking cool.AS you get older you think,F*** cool and give me COMFORT. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

The DAFman

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 10:12:17 AM »
Jan,i agree.When you are young , you think mostly about looking cool.AS you get older you think,F*** cool and give me COMFORT. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Hello guys,

Paccar105 is more than right!!!!! If you are like me for more than 30 years on the road, is "comfort" and "reliability" the "most" that count!!!!!
Old trucks had their "charmes", but "charmes" only doesn't "heal" your "health-problems"!!!!!
Also in "safety" options has many things just go into the "right" directions"!!!!!
Also many "modern-options" makes "trucking-life" much easier, like "automatic gears, navigation-systems, "climate-control" and much more of that "items"!!!!!
I know, "trucks" are still "working machines" but IMO they should "work" for you, and not "we for them"!!!!!
Greetings from Germany,

Leo
Deceased.

wbache

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 12:17:34 PM »
I started driving over the road in the early 60's and most of what I drove for 30  years were fleet trucks that had very little in the way of what most drivers want today.  A lot of back trouble is caused by lack of good posture when seated. I drove team quite often and changing seats used to be quite an event running with some drivers. It is my opinion that avoiding back trouble requires one to sit up straight yet a lot of guys tilted the back of the seat way back like they were cruising in a 66 Chevy in LA. I wanted the seat back straight up and the seat high enuff so it didn't bottom out and I never saw much benefit in cool cushions. I am almost 85 years old and weigh 175 lbs and as the sole care giver of my invalid wife who weighs about 130# I can lift and move her so that she can be where she needs to be. My blood pressure is 125/80. I can still mow the yard/clean the house and prepare most of the meals.  Proper diet and exercise and good posture  will give you a lot of mileage on good roads and bad.

Threedog

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2009, 04:46:03 PM »
I have to agree with Wee Willy. I, too, have a lot of back problems from driving those old trucks. Being that most of my early career was driving dump trucks equipped with Hendrickson rubber block suspensions, no cab air ride and cheap seats, my back is pretty well shot even after having one back operation to fix a slipped disc. I will take one of the newer more comfortable ones any day.

alexthe22

• Got coffee?
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2009, 06:27:36 PM »
Something else we tend to overlook is how much smaller cab interiors were 30-40 years ago compared to right now and how most of us tend to put on a little weight as we get older. I drove a restored early 1970s truck belonging to a friend of mine recently and while I remember driving this same model when it was current with no problem, now it seems SO small and cramped! I was banging my head, elbows and knees every time I moved and the cab seating controls and dash switches were fiddly and difficult to reach. I will (reluctantly) admit that I have increased in weight by about 70-lbs since those days, but just the same I realize that driving a modern truck is SO much easier and more comfortable. And if you're gonna be stuck behind the wheel every day for 10-hours plus, why not make it a pleasant experience? Older trucks are GREAT to look at and fantastic fun to show or view at a truck meeting. But give me a today's trucks every day if I had to drive one for a living.
Funny thing alot of company drivers nowadays still complaint that their cab (on their new truck)  is too small. :? :-D

Sean

• Future trucker in America
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2009, 09:34:29 PM »
Im young, but have spent my time in a truck. 4 years ago I was on a 4 week trip with my dad in the truck. We got in a accident in our Volvo VNL670 after bout 2 1/2 weeks. After anough repairs to get back to the garage we got switched out to a Pete until the Volvo was all fixed......could not stand the Pete! Not much room on the inside, very narrow. The 2 things that really bugged me was that I could not even attempt to stand up in the cab (I coudl in the Volvo) and getting into the bunk! The shifter was always in the way! In the Volvo you could pretty much walk round the shifter without a problem, no turning or twisting or any of that fun stuff.....so I would take comfort over looks also, if Im alittle less comfortable than in like a Volvo or something I could live but I will never own a Pete to drive OTR in  :| Just my opinion.

Sean

-My baby, 1997 F250HD XLT, RCLB, 4x4, 7.3L Powerstroke.

Ghost in the shell

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2010, 12:05:00 PM »
I can't say for the class 8's but for 7500kg cubies, (still a truck, just a small one), the automatic transmissions, if you are rolling slightly when you put it in reverse, or if you are holding it with the foot brake, sometimes the transmission will sit and beep at you! also the transmission is sometimes unresponsive, especially if you haul up to a lights quick because you have had to go harder on the brakes because some numpty has in a clio or prius has carved you up, the gearbox can sometimes take time to catch up.  light go green, and you put the power on, release hand brake and nothing, then nothing more, and then BANG it drops you into gear

other experiences with autos that have manual override, (flappy paddles or rocker switch by the selector) you are going down a hill and want to use the gears, you flip DOWN, and the revs climb, gearbox senses the rise in rpm and changes back up and you loose the engine braking - not all light and straight trucks have jakes or other secondary braking system

give me a manual any time, when I tell a box to change down, thats exactly what i want it to do CHANGE DOWN and STAY DOWN

Running Pete

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2010, 04:08:48 PM »
......could not stand the Pete! Not much room on the inside, very narrow. The 2 things that really bugged me was that I could not even attempt to stand up in the cab (I coudl in the Volvo) and getting into the bunk! The shifter was always in the way! In the Volvo you could pretty much walk round the shifter without a problem, no turning or twisting or any of that fun stuff.....so I would take comfort over looks also, if Im alittle less comfortable than in like a Volvo or something I could live but I will never own a Pete to drive OTR in  :| Just my opinion.

Sean

Sounds like a pretty tramatic experience :P (only kidding), I am young and don't have the experience, and the knowledge that comes along with it, to say much, but if it has a roof and windows :P, good enough seats, and a fair enough suspension then I'll take it.

Paystar

• Regular Membership
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2012, 04:40:52 PM »
I like the interiors and driver comforts of the new ones, but only way I would buy another new one would be a glider kit with a 2002 or earlier engine.
Despite how "good" the marketing people tell you these new emissions motors are, I see an alaming amount of new plow trucks broke down on the highway here as cars line the ditches, and quite a few burning on the side of the road. Not to mention how much harder my new one was compared to the old motors. Thanks EPA. Wonder why all the bankruptcies?
The New Generation: 'You have what we call an irrational sense of entitlement. It won't kill you, but it will cause you to believe that you deserve top pay for doing nothing.'

rt2smithfarm

• Regular Membership
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2012, 12:51:16 PM »
Ever since the dreaded day that aerodynamics were introduced to truck styling, I think trucks have taken a turn for the worse, at least the "Aero" ones. To me, they all look like a dildo rolling down the highway. When I was a kid, I looked forward to sitting behind the wheel and staring down a super long, tall hood all day. Looking off to the sides and seeing those beautiful breathers and stacks. The way a truck was meant to look. But unfortunately, by the time I was able to start driving, these smiley-faced, friendly looking, boring, and overly rounded trucks with absolutely zero character or fun were all the rage. I envy the truckers from the classic days when there were no such thing as an aerodynamic truck. If you want to buy your own truck, and are able to, then all the more power to you, because thankfully they still make the classic style. But lots of good luck to you if you are just a company driver... chances are extremely slim that you'll actually get into a truck that looks like a truck should, one that's actually got balls and doesn't look like a chubby face smiling at you.

busman7

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2012, 12:56:56 PM »
Gee what are you young lads talking about old trucks not being aerodynamic, the first truck I drove highway, a B-61 Mack with a duplex was pretty darn aerodynamic &  all one needed in a truck. Sounded nice to!

NHRS

• Regular Membership
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2012, 09:43:44 AM »
The new stuff went over-kill on "creature-comfort". They got so nice inside, easy to forget that cab's a place to sit, while you look around OUTSIDE.

Kinda reminds of the best scribble I ever saw in a truckstop restroom-stall wall, way back where it was an effort to read it. Said, "'You come here to s--- or look around?"

From my perspective, same thing with the over-done interiors. And, the new-age kids becoming drivers decades ago demanded that. Eons ago in a showroom, I was with a young guy looking at the showroom truck. He's raving about the fancy upholstery, and I wanted a creeper, to check out the underside, where the action was. How they ran the fuel, air lines makes a big difference on what happens below zero.

Rather than the interior, I'd rather find fuel filters mounted in a stay-warm location, and changable real fast without making a big mess. How many trucks with a motor requiring a tranfer pump for the plunger-body have a pressure gauge for that, so you can see a filter clogging up BEFORE the truck looses power, giving you time to select a place to address that, that you want to stop at, before the truck insists on stopping.

But, the worst thing about the new stuff is, ALL electronic, NO mechanical. Which means, when you go down, you don't cobble-up and limp home. You sit there, maybe freezing, until you get rescued. Those "Ice Road" trucker-guys are out there living with troubles I wouldn't have put up with under palm trees.

Power steering has been a great advance. 12,000 plus on the steer without that, means I started wearing a copper bracelet for the elbows long ago. And, suspension improvements are good for the truck, not just you and the load. Square-pad Hendrickson meant got my old KW radiator repaired every year. Did my air-ride '76 Pete once in 1,040,000 miles, and was still great when sold it.
If you don't ask, they can't say no.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2012, 09:43:44 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs