If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: How can an owner operator make a living?  (Read 36779 times)

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
How can an owner operator make a living?
« on: February 05, 2004, 08:19:59 PM »
This months TRUCKNEWS has an ad from Premier Peterbilt, the Pete dealer in Brampton Ontario.
One of the tractors for sale is a 2003 379 that is advertised for $130,000.00  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:
It has a 475 Cat motor and a 13 speed. 12x40 axles and 63" sleeper with upper bunk.

In the same paper carriers galore are advertising to hire owner ops.
SLH Transport (trucking operation for Sears) $1.055 per mile, plus a few extras.
Highland Transport 1.195 to 1.305
QuikX Singles $1.04  Teams $1.10
OAKWOOD (ad shows a large car Kenworth) up to $1.12
Laidlaw $1.11 for tandems,1.14 for tridems and 1.17 for quad axle (Laidlaw has a LOT of Petes)

These are the advertised rates and seem typical.
That takes a lot of miles to make the monthly payments on a Pete.
The owner op is responsible for his fuel and other costs too.

Can he make a living?

Hank's Truck Forum

« on: February 05, 2004, 08:19:59 PM »

jeff sutton

owner operator
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2004, 06:26:54 PM »
:shock:  :shock:  :shock: HELLO ROB
  I HAVE A LOT OF BUDDYS THAT ARE OWNER OPS AND WITH THE COST OF SKY HIGH FUEL OUT THERE IT'S NO WONDER WHY THERE ARE SO MANY TRUCKS UP FOR SALE AND THE EXPLOSION OF ''LEASE/PURCHASE DEALS OFFERED BY SO MANY OF THE CARRIERS OUT THERE, THE COMPANIES KNOW THAT THE PROFIT MARGIN IS JUST ABOUT NON EXISTANT, AND THEY CAN LEASE OUT THESE TRUCKS WITH THESE PIE IN THE SKY DEALS. $130,000 FOR A PETE THAT'S INSANE, AND THAT GOES FOR ANY OTHER TRUCK OUT THERE. MY BROTHER IN LAW GAVE UP OVER 17 YEARS SENIORITY TO GO OUT AND BE AN O/O ALONG WITH A $5,000 A MONTH PAYMENT ON HIS TRUCK & TRAILER NOT TO MENTION HE PAYS ALL HIS INSURANCE,PLATES,TOLLS,FUEL,ETC,ETC, AND HE AND SOME OF MY BUDDYS WONDER WHY I DON'T WANT TO BE AN OWNER/OPERATOR GEE LET ME SEE.

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
5000 A MONTH?????????Re: owner operator
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 01:22:46 PM »
[quote="jeff suttonMY BROTHER IN LAW GAVE UP OVER 17 YEARS SENIORITY TO GO OUT AND BE AN O/O ALONG WITH A $5,000 A MONTH PAYMENT ON HIS TRUCK & TRAILER NOT TO MENTION HE PAYS ALL HIS INSURANCE,PLATES,TOLLS,FUEL,ETC,ETC, AND HE AND SOME OF MY BUDDYS WONDER WHY I DON'T WANT TO BE AN OWNER/OPERATOR GEE LET ME SEE.[/quote]

He go on with Laidlaw?
I saw a Laidlaw longnose Pete, not painted Laidlaw colours but a custom paint job with BIG PIPES;LOT'SA LIGHTS, polished details GALORE and he was a hauling a Btrain flat!
I don't understand it.

He sounds like the trucker who won the 6-49.
When asked what he would do with all that money; the trucker replied "I guess I'll keep truckin', till the money's all gone!" :twisted:

RodeoJoe

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 02:22:48 PM »
There was a wise old trucker that was asked how to make a million dollars in the trucking business and his reply was "Start with two million"

Mike Malone

How can an owner-operator make a living?
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 03:31:57 PM »
ENCORE pays well now, Rob.

$24,000 down on a $136,000 Pete 387 at London Pete gets you $2300/month payments.

If the guy's taken it all on, $5000/month doesn't seem too bad. His credit must have been good enough to absorb all of it.

It's now up to him to keep the wheels turning.
Wheels that aren't turnin' aren't earnin'.

long hauler

$5000 PER MONTH
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 04:14:51 PM »
HI ROB
    MY BROTHER IN LAW IS A CAR HAULER, I WARNED HIM ABOUT HIS NEW VENTURE BUT ONE OF HIS BUDDYS TOLD HIM A PIE IN THE SKY FABLE ABOUT ALL THE MONEY HE COULD MAKE, I WISH HE WOULD HAVE THOUGHT IT THRU BEFORE HE TOOK THE PLUNGE, BUT WHAT DO I KNOW :roll:

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
Fancy Show Trucks
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 04:34:11 PM »
I like to watch them, and I like to take pictures of them; but I'm sure glad I don't have to pay for them.

Steve_WI

Re: Fancy Show Trucks
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 05:02:21 PM »
Quote from: Rob Archer
I like to watch them, and I like to take pictures of them; but I'm sure glad I don't have to pay for them.

Agree!  But I must add that alot of the show trucks that frequent the truck shows, often have a few sponsors as well, which when it comes to  competitions with prize money, trophies, and recognition involved, I see it as being unfair.  

Steve
Dec. 23, 2008 The end of an era at GM Janesville.

Mike Malone

How can an owner-operator make a living?
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2004, 05:20:36 PM »
You guys haven't lived 'til you make truck payments.

CAN MAN

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2004, 05:40:00 PM »
If your paying more than 1/3 of your monthly gross to cover a truck payment it is time to find a new occupation

The large car glittermobiles are nice but who sees it at 3AM going down a slush covered highway.

A nice clean basic truck does the same job and you get to keep some of the $ you work hard at generating.

carl_roy

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2004, 07:15:48 AM »
These carriers sure love these people who buy on lease big expensive Iron now they have where they want you. To make the big payments one must get all work they will give you and that all goes to the financal people. Very little left over for you and your family it even cuts into your road expense. At one time a carrier had some O/Os on the never never plan living on the fuel cards until the carrier cut the cash advance back to $50.00 per every 2 days. The abuse that these people take from the company was terrible and this was from a large carrier van division.

long hauler

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2004, 09:50:02 AM »
I HAVE BETTER THINGS TO DO WITH MY HARD EARNED MONEY THAN PAY FOR A TRUCK, THE MONEY AND THE TIME YOU HAVE TO INVEST IN A HIGHWAY TRACTOR JUST ISN'T WORTH IT, FIGURE IT OUT BY THE HOUR AND YOU ARE BARELY MAKING MINIMUM WAGE. THAT'S THE WAY I SEE IT.

CAN MAN

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2004, 12:42:15 PM »
You can still make a decent living as an O/O just have to watch how you spend ( waste ) $

Stay out of the CHROME shop , watch the speed  ( saves fuel , tire ) no need to run 80MPH into a head wind and cry about the fuel you used.

Pack a lunch if possible better than the $12.00 rip off specials , see guys paying $50.00 for a truck wash when the forecast is rain for next 4 days , very wasteful.

Buy your supplies in bulk , lot cheaper than $5.00 for a jug of washer fluid in a service centre.

Some think that they can only make $ doing long haul , there is great $ to be made in regional work and your home a lot more. Have a relative who runs SW USA laughs at me as I hardly leave Ont / Quebec past year I did less miles generated more $ with less exspense than he did and I was home every weekend and at least 2 nights during the week.

jeff sutton

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2004, 11:53:09 AM »
CAN MAN YOUR RIGHT CAN'T ARGUE WITH YOU.  ALL I'M SAYING IS I DON'T THINK THE RETURN ON YOUR INVESTMENT IS WORTH THE TIME EFFORT AND SWEAT. THE RATES HAVE TO GO WAY WAY UP, BOTH FOR THE O/O AND COMPANY DRIVERS.

CAN MAN

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2004, 06:08:04 AM »
THere are good paying jobs out there but like anything there is alweays someone willing to work for less $.

Look at the basic trades , you can find someone to do work on your house and then get 5 more quoting lower $.

There are drivers out there that jump jobs for less $ just to get into a bigger truck.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2004, 06:08:04 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs