Author Topic: Midwestern Distribution  (Read 1383 times)

Trailer Fixer

• Disturbing the peace since 1972
Midwestern Distribution
« on: April 04, 2010, 08:46:44 AM »
Does anyone know the history to this company?

I run a mobile service truck(trailer repair)  Mon-Friday and I am dedicated to a customer that has some of the old FRP Midwest Distributions trailers used for local shuttle and warehouse storage.  These also have the former markings of Leaseway Transportation. Something odd about these trailers is they were factory equipped w/ LP 24.5 tires, w/ mountain brakes.  The crossmembers above the wheels were removed for tire clearance and steel plates were put in place. Nearly all these trailers at one time have had floor repairs here from no support there. Just seeing these is like stepping back in time compared to today's industry standard way of trailer construction.
There are a few that are in good shape and others are literally rotting away. One was put out of service because of black mold infestation inside the FRP is breaking away from the bottom rails and what metal was left is nearly rusted away. There are cuts in the FRP last fall I saw toad stools and green moss growing from these cuts. All this on the same trailer.

Here is one still roadworthy.

Scott W. Pryer

ScottWP72@yahoo.com

swcknz

Re: Midwestern Distribution
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 12:47:28 PM »
Midwestern was the dollar down outfit of the 70's they advertised only one dollar would make you the owner of a cabover short wheelbase Freightliner w/ a big 290 Cummins.
I have other thoughts but I'll keep them to myself.

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 03:59:48 PM »
If you type the name in as a general search, you'll come up with a few threads with some discussion, including the one below:

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/forum01/index.php?topic=9954.0

Gary Smith

• Fleet eye for the Chicken guy
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 06:08:21 PM »
Leaseway bought Midwest Distribution in the early 80s and used them to do the linehaul work for their short-lived Leaseway Express LTL operation.
It's a Mack thing. you wouldn't understand.....

"Every highway, just beyond the high beams"

Trailer Fixer

• Disturbing the peace since 1972
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 02:26:51 PM »
Thanks fellas

Scott W. Pryer

ScottWP72@yahoo.com

ltmdwb

• Regular Membership
    • Dale's Truck Insignia Patches
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 04:36:55 PM »

« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 12:30:29 PM by ltmdwb »
Dale
Psalm 51:10-12

see part of my more than 2,500 piece freight company patch exhibit or help me identify some at:
You can see this project as it develops at my new site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/truck_company_insignia_patches/sets