If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Transit Truck Stop  (Read 2767 times)

Jason M.

Transit Truck Stop
« on: March 29, 2010, 11:22:52 AM »
Had a small story on it in an issue of "Wheels of Time" a while back.  Was in Maryland somewhere...anybody?

Hank's Truck Forum

Transit Truck Stop
« on: March 29, 2010, 11:22:52 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs

wbache

Re: Transit Truck Stop
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 12:51:09 PM »
i believe there was more than one but if its' the place I think it is the location was Millersville MD south of Baltimore on what I recall at that time as MD 3 not far south of the Beltway. Used to stop there quite often and it was located between what were the north and southbound lanes. Since I have not traveled that way since the early 70's there no doubt have been changes that I am not aware of or it may not even be there anymore.  Gary or Ray may have a much better handle on it than I do.

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 01:07:01 PM »
Looks like I-97 came through and now there's a New Transit Truck Stop but i'd say you nailed it Walt.  :-D I haven't been on I-97 in a few years and last time through was in the dark so i can't say for sure. :| Here's a link with a map to help out.

http://web1.userinstinct.com/20809641-new-transit-truck-stop.htm

Paul Kane

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 01:12:06 PM »
This stop, old and new, was discussed elsewhere but I couldn't find it with a search.  This link has a photo I took at the New Transit Truckstop off of I-97.

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/forum01/index.php?topic=30084.0

« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 08:39:32 AM by hank »

Gary Smith

• Fleet eye for the Chicken guy
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 03:53:04 PM »
There were 2 Transit Truck Stops, one in Laurel, MD on US1 and the other in Millersville, MD on MD 3 which ran south from Baltimore to connect with US 301 near Bowie (The local pronounciation is "Boo-ee"), MD.

The stop in Laurel was the one pictured in "Wheels of Time" some years back.  It was on both sides of the road south of Laurel, just below Contee road.  It closed sometime after I 95 opened between Baltimore and Washington in 1971.   Car dealerships now stand on the site.

Millersville is still open, albeit with some changes.  The NB and SB lanes of MD 3 were about a block apart most of the way from the south side of Glen Burnie almost to Crofton, and there were numerous business and residences in that "centerstrip", incliding the Transit.

When I-97 was built about 20 years ago, the NB lanes of MD 3 were widened and became bidirectional, and the new MD 3.  The SB lanes and part of the "centerstrip" were eliminated to build the grade for I-97.  MD 3 is mostly commercial strip and kind of functions as a service road for 97 and is accessed from either the Crain Hwy. or Benfield Blvd. exits, each about a mile from the truckstop.  I've never stopped there, but there always seem to be a lot of bedbug haulers parked there.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 03:56:44 PM by Gary Smith »
It's a Mack thing. you wouldn't understand.....

"Every highway, just beyond the high beams"

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 08:57:01 PM »
I stopped off drove through there today.........what a dump. Craters in the lot........trailers dropped helter skelter. Mostly some raggedy looking O/Os parked there but I did see 1 Werner. Surprised the town hasn't been after it & looked to do an urban renewal job on it.

navypoppop

• Regular Membership
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 10:59:41 AM »
The Transit Truck Stop was a decent place a few years ago but when they allowed local drivers to take up the parking places with their 4 wheelers so they had a spot for the end of the day and therefore there were not many places for other drivers it became a rats nest. The restaurant was always decent food and reasonable but it seems to be run by foreigners that do not care.

Huskidrive

• Regular Membership
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 11:27:32 AM »
Wasn't the Bon-Fire located on Rt. 3 south of Balt.?

When Twin Golden Huskies Pass You...... It's HUSKIDRIVE!

navypoppop

• Regular Membership
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 11:37:10 AM »
Wow! The Bonfire was indeed located on Route 3 south of Baltimore. Used to stop on way home from the piers, must have been 37-38 years ago. Can't say if it is still there though. Good memory.

Huskidrive

• Regular Membership
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 11:53:04 AM »
It's long gone...it was a stop for the Russo Trucking guys going to and from Wash. DC.

When Twin Golden Huskies Pass You...... It's HUSKIDRIVE!

DougA

• Regular Membership
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2018, 10:25:34 AM »
The Transit was sold a while back to foreigners of Middle Eastern descent. Worse now than ever. They also charge you to park in there.

navypoppop

• Regular Membership
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2018, 08:12:11 AM »
The Transit Truck Stop was a decent place to stop years ago either on you way to Baltimore or Washington. They had a good restaurant and food, a chrome shop and free parking. After the Mid-Easterners bought it it went totally down hill. Locals dropping trailers or their 4 wheelers everywhere, pay to park and chase you down for payment and large craters in parking lot. Since then I refuse to even stop there for any reason. Maybe Millersville should revoke their business license and tear it down.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2018, 08:12:11 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs