Author Topic: Yale Transport Corp  (Read 4673 times)

SpreadAxle

Yale Transport Corp
« on: March 25, 2010, 06:57:33 PM »
I remember their headquarters along the West Side Highway in Manhattan with the truck on the roof from my chilhood. I think the truck is still there, although the terminal was an equipment dealer as of a couple of years ago. Wheels of Time did a story on them. Typical of east coast carriers they had Macks and Whites. Anyone remember much about them?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 06:58:56 AM by SpreadAxle »
Ray

The Yellow Line

Re: Yale Transportation
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 01:58:42 AM »
It's Yale Transport Corp. :roll:, not Transportation. :-P. And the truck on the "roof" is gone. :cry: They also had a terminal in Masbeth, NY ( Queens ), and North Bergen, NJ on 90th St. :wink:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 03:55:14 AM by The Yellow Line »
Always Follow The Yellow Line

SpreadAxle

Re: Yale Transport Corp
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 07:10:12 AM »
Thanks for the info. The one on West Side Highway was the only one I remember because of the truck.
Ray

Retired CF Driver

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 02:00:28 PM »
Yale went all out on that 12th Ave. building..In addition to rooftop truck parking (They actually parked trucks on the roof) they had a conveyer belt system put in at a cost of over $1 million dollars (1960 dollars)Similar to what UPS has today...UPS was pretty much a minor player at this time and Railway Express was the major player..This building served predominatly NYC's garment center and Yale consolidated shipments for most of the department stores from New England to Washington DC and beyond...It was said that you couldn't go down any street in the garment center without seeing at leat 3 Yale trucks parked making deliveries of textiles or other garment industry items.

charlie

• Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 03:00:17 PM »
Sadly what i remember most about the Yale truck on the building on the WSH is all the pigeon droppings after years of neglect. :-( :cry: Was the truck on the building a Brockway? :?

Boll Weevil

• Regular Membership
  • "Ford W9000's rule!"-Boll Weevil, age 11
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 03:49:54 PM »
It was still in existence with a new United rentals paint scheme in 2003.

If you go to Bing Maps and do a birds eye view of 12th Ave & 40th St, you will see it if you move your curser up and down 12th Ave. It appears in one view but in other views, the building it sat atop is torn down.

I found the above picture here:

http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3021
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 01:43:34 PM by Boll Weevil »
Jim

charlie

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 04:18:06 PM »
I worked just a few blocks away at 50th St. and 11th Avenue from 7/00 to 12/04 and passed that building almost daily on my lunch hour walks. For some unknown (read stupid) reason i don't believe i ever snapped a pic or two. :x  United Rentals had a big warehouse across from the Javits on 40th between 11th & 12th but i think that's been torn down too. :|

mstrdinan

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 04:59:58 PM »
It was still in existence with a new United rentals paint scheme in 2003.

If you go to Bing Maps and do a birds eye view of 12th Ave & 40th St, you will see it if you move your curser up and down 12th Ave. It appears in one view but in other views, the building it sat atop is torn down.
   FANTASTIC  BIT OF HISTORY       GREAT JOB   

Boll Weevil

• Regular Membership
  • "Ford W9000's rule!"-Boll Weevil, age 11
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 01:49:55 PM »
   FANTASTIC  BIT OF HISTORY       GREAT JOB   

I didn't know it had been painted and was still there in '03.

I added the link to where I found the pic in the above reply because I neglected to give credit for it.

Sadly what i remember most about the Yale truck on the building on the WSH is all the pigeon droppings after years of neglect. :-( :cry: Was the truck on the building a Brockway? :?

Charlie, I think it is meant to be "anytruck" but aside from the headlight location, it does look like an old Brock.

Jim

The Yellow Line

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 04:27:52 AM »
Charlie,
     Most people think the truck is a Mack. :roll: It's really a White. :wink: There was also an elevator for the tractor and trailer to be elevated to one of the floors and a turntable would direct it to a loading dock, similar to a train turntable.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 04:29:57 AM by The Yellow Line »

charlie

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 04:44:29 AM »
Charlie,
     Most people think the truck is a Mack. :roll: It's really a White. :wink:

Thanks Chris. :wink: Found this photo on a model site - White WC's according to the info.

mstrdinan

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 07:38:45 AM »

The Yellow Line

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 07:59:29 AM »
The sign was made by the Artkraft-Strauss Sign Corp. of NYC. It was erected in 1954. Prior to 1954,, Yale never operated any Mack trucks. There first order was for B Models. BTW The sign is modeled after one of there White W Model Super Power's with a Strick trailer. :wink:

SpreadAxle

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 10:18:01 AM »
Now that I'm home for the week. I was able to find my ATHS article on Yale. It's in the Jan/Feb 2007 issue. Originally, the story appeared in Book IV of the Vanishing Trucking Pioneers series.  Here are some interesting tidbits from the article that you might find interesting.

Formed in 1938 by Benjamin Eskow, a former retailer. He would also form Nationwide Packing Co. which was a freight consolidation company.  American Freight Forwarding Co was also formed at the same time. Now if I read this right from the article, they were all part of the Yale Express System.

In 1962, Yale became exclusive agents for Air cargo, Inc. 17 major airlines serving the NYC area were part of Air Cargo Inc. P and D  for this service was provided by Yale and handled by gas powered International 1700 Loadstars to both Idlewild(now JFK) and La Guardia airports.

Yale was a partner in Comar(Coordinated Motor and Rail Service). Part of this partnership was Southern Railway, Floyd and Beasley, Hall's Motor Express, Huckabee Transportation Corp., and Georgia Highway Express. Yale trailers going South were loaded onto trains @ Alexandria, VA. One of the other carriers would deliver ot to its final dest. Yale also worked with Penssylvania, New York Central, New Haven, and Missouri-Pacific on similar operations.

Yale was the first US carrier to utilize the British-made Leyland tractors. They were primarily used as yard tractors.

Regarding the terminal in NYC: It was 4 stories. 100 truck doors at street level, and an additional 120 bays on the upper floors. It was one of the world's largest privately owned trucking terminals.  The truck on the roof is listed in the article as a Mack, but I agree with those who believe it's a White.
Ray

SpreadAxle

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 10:36:42 AM »
A little more info form the story.

By 1963, the company boasted over 2,000 employees; 1,300 vehicles; 26 terminals, and revenues of $33,000,000. Yale Transport served CT,DE,MD,MA,NH,NJ,NY,RI, and the Washington, D.C. area. American Freight Forwarding Co. covered 31 states in the East, Midwest, and South.

Yale filed for bankruptcy and reorganization in May of 1965. F. Ralph Nogg was the court-appointed trustee. He would later become president of Associated Transport of NY.Yale filed Chapter 10 bankruptcy in 1972. Seven yrs later, in July 1979, they would again file for bankruptcy. The 3rd time was the charm, as they say, as this would be the end of Yale. They had liabilities of $4.7 million, and assets of $1.5 million.

Yale used mostly B Model Macks in the road fleet with White 1500TD Compacts in the city fleet in the ealry 60s. The Macks had 170/180 hp Thermodyne engines and 10 spd Duplex transmissions. In later years, tandem axle White 9000s were in the fleet as well. A cool pic in the article I'm reading shows a White 9000 with a big "Y" painted on the radiator shutters.
Ray