If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Livingston Transport  (Read 2851 times)

JJG

Livingston Transport
« on: March 25, 2010, 06:36:01 PM »
Does anyone have any pictures of trucks from Livingston Transport from St.Thomas Ont.? I remember they had a lot of Ford F 850 series trucks of the 60's before changing the fleet over to Louisvilles. They were red with black fenders and yellow frames and later went to white with yellow. Martin Phippard had one picture of the white/yellow era but there were also a lot of owner operators with some real nice trucks back then.

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/martin_phippard/2004/august/hank67.jpg

Too bad I didn't take pictures then. They started out as Waldie Transport before that. Would love to see some, thanks.

Jim.

Hank's Truck Forum

Livingston Transport
« on: March 25, 2010, 06:36:01 PM »

tootall67

• Regular Membership
Re: Livingston Transport
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 07:30:06 PM »
  Here is one I found today.....

JJG

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 10:22:35 PM »
Nice find Dennis, I had missed that one in my searches somehow.

Jim.

tootall67

• Regular Membership
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 10:48:22 AM »
  Well, thanks there Jim..........

JJG

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 11:32:11 PM »
Just came across this cool picture out of the archives, it is from the local paper, St.Thomas Times Journal
https://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/35138423312

This is one I remember well, it has the yellow chassis, red cab and black fenders. I went on to work for Doug in the mid 80's, he was in charge of the Elgin Leasing Fleet -after the Livingston era- which became Elgin Motor Freight and then Challenger bought them out.

Jim

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • www.hankstruckpictures.com
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 06:00:16 AM »
Does your back hurt just looking at that old Fleetstar 2000D ? Jim?
That might even pre-date the "Fleetstar" name.
A 220 Cummins or a 6-71?
Yellow Gross Weight sticker too.
87000 was fairly heavy for those times. A truck that would run the USA would have been stickered for 74000.

I worked for Livingston during the 1980's - the customs brokerage Livingston.

Sorry - I don't have time this morning to search the Barry Sowerby pictures for Livingston trucks.
They might have been repainted into Laidlaw by the time those pictures were taken.

doug mckenzie

• Regular Membership
  • Doug McKenzie
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 12:54:35 PM »
Does your back hurt just looking at that old Fleetstar 2000D ? Jim?
That might even pre-date the "Fleetstar" name.
A 220 Cummins or a 6-71?
Yellow Gross Weight sticker too.
87000 was fairly heavy for those times. A truck that would run the USA would have been stickered for 74000.

I worked for Livingston during the 1980's - the customs brokerage Livingston.

Sorry - I don't have time this morning to search the Barry Sowerby pictures for Livingston trucks.
They might have been repainted into Laidlaw by the time those pictures were taken.

That is a 2000D Fleetstar Rob - says so on the badge just by the turn signal

However, we had trucks licensed for 97000 lbs when I was at Laidlaw that often went into the U.S.
Right-wing Old School.

JJG

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 10:41:11 PM »
I never did drive that truck Rob, but Doug was old school........he worked all day in the shop and then drove truck -maybe not that one- to Ohio or Indiana and back in time to be at the shop! If anyone complained about a rough riding truck or a long shift, he would just give you the look........you knew better then to go beyond if employment was important to you ::)

I have been through Barry Sowerby's entire collection but have not found a Livingston or Elgin Leasing tractor.

Livingston did not go on to be Laidllaw  that I know of........ but I know that Jim Waldie who owned Waldie Transport sold to Livingston, he then started Elgin Leasing and got into Leasing all the Livingston accounts their own trucks and the drivers came thru Kennington Truck Service, enter Doug Kennington who also maintained the fleet. That is the story as I heard it from Doug at the time. It was sometime around then that Jim Waldie started or bought the Freightliner Dealership in Kitchener Ontario -can't remember the name now- and that s how all the trucks were Freightliners in the fleet in the 70"s. Doug had a very cool picture of the fleet in the late 70"s, 3 or 4 blue for Clevite, 3 white for Timken, a Weathehead off white and ochre, 3 orange black/white for Hartz Mountain Pet Foods and possibly a green one (a favorite colour of Doug) which might have been a floater? I sure wish I had a copy of that picture........someday it may surface :)

Jim
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 10:48:54 PM by JJG »

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 10:41:11 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs