Author Topic: Campbells 66 Express trailers  (Read 4484 times)

scampb

Campbells 66 Express trailers
« on: June 30, 2003, 02:56:54 PM »
Does anyone know if Campbells 66 Express had any 45' trailers before they closed down?
I have seen the photos of 28' double on Hank's site, but am interested to know about the 45 footers ? Photos ?

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • www.hankstruckpictures.com
Campbells 66
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2003, 03:42:45 PM »
I believe if you check the Jim Steele Collection you will find pictures of Stormin Norman on long trailers.

scampb

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2003, 01:51:46 PM »
Rob,
I can't tell if those are 45' or the standard 40 footers. I thought that the pup photos look like a more modern trailer, so maybe near the end they had some 45 foot trailers also ?
What year did Campbell 66 express close down ?

Steven

scampb

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 05:40:48 AM »
The Campbell trailers seem to all be hand painted. Can anyone confirm this. The camel logo is not the same on all trailers.

HwyHaulier

Re: Campbells 66 Express trailers
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2004, 07:10:18 AM »
Steven - Yes, there's a report around here somewhere stating all the Campbell's trailers were each hand painted. It was one man that did this for years. It might have rated mention in a Ron Adams book I have (100 Years of Semi Trucks). Else, I possibly saw it in a Guest Book entry here on Hank's.

There's a strong presumption that Campbell's ran 45 foot vans. On the 1976 sale and close of Transamerican (Detroit), I believe Campbell picked up the authority South and West of St. Louis; ETMF acquired East Of St. Louis. (Which tells me that Campbell's had already held the authority which took them in to Cleveland.)

.........HTH,............Vern.................

scampb

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2004, 02:09:20 PM »
Thanks for the information and comments. I am searching for trailer numbers for 45' vans. Maybe a trailer roster sheet ?

TX
Steve

HwyHaulier

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2004, 08:41:39 PM »
Quote from: scampb
Thanks for the information and comments. I am searching for trailer numbers for 45' vans. Maybe a trailer roster sheet ?
TX
Steve

Steve - Ronald G. Adams, "100 Years Of Semi Trucks" has two Campbell's photos.
1) Diamond T Conv/Day Cab/Drive Tandem 219 w/ Fruehauf reefer 2268 (pg. 168), and
2) White 9000 (1961) Conv/Day Cab/Drive Single 254 w/ Trailmobile dry van 2297

Both trailers appear to be 40 ft., and both photos not dated. We can infer, tho, that Campbell apparently assigned numbers on equipment as received. No "grand plan" system of prefix numbers to indicate length, or other similar pieces of equipment.

Without other photos and so on, we can only guess that 45 ft. trailers would have numbers in 23xx or 24xx series?

..........HTH..........Vern.......Bel Air, MD.............

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • www.hankstruckpictures.com
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2004, 06:32:56 AM »
Quote from: HwyHaulier

There's a strong presumption that Campbell's ran 45 foot vans. On the 1976 sale and close of Transamerican (Detroit), I believe Campbell picked up the authority South and West of St. Louis; ETMF acquired East Of St. Louis. (Which tells me that Campbell's had already held the authority which took them in to Cleveland.)

.........HTH,............Vern.................

Somehow, Campbells 66 even made it up here (Toronto) for a while. I remember that Campbells had an operation at Midcon Sufferance Terminal when I was there in '82 and '83.  The Stormin' Norman trailers were seen at Midcon, and likely were a mix of 40's and 45 footers. I remember a GMC Astro in Kingsway colours pulling the trailers in from the border, but can't remember whether it was Buffalo or Detroit.
Rob Archer

jbcrim

Campbell 66 Express information
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2004, 04:01:55 PM »
I was with Campbell 66 Express for 30 years.  I am writing a book about the history of Campbell 66 Express, the logo Snortin' Norton, and the people who made it great.  I have a very large collection of Campbell 66 Express items and am always looking for more.  Part of the collection is on permanent display at the Springfield Library Station. Would love to hear from anyone who worked for or remembers Campbell 66.

BIG JOHN

• Regular Membership
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2004, 01:28:25 PM »
When will your book be finished? I`m always interested in the history or the older truck lines.
The only Campbell`s 66 stuff I have is 14 different toy trucks. Also have a couple of old hats.
One of the guys I work with was a saleman for 66. He works part time for us now.
I could probably put you in touch with this gentleman.
Can`t wait for your book to be finished.
TRUCKIN` FOR AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!

jbcrim

Campbell 66 Express
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2004, 03:43:08 PM »
Big John, who do you work for?  And who is the the saleman you know? Love visiting with anyone about the old Campbell 66 days. Email: jbcrim@sbcglobal.net

BIG JOHN

• Regular Membership
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2004, 02:55:28 PM »
jbcrim, sent you an email with the gentlemans name, the company I work for is Wilcox Truckline based in Springfield, MO.
TRUCKIN` FOR AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!

carl_roy

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2004, 04:58:25 AM »
Here I go again but if memory serves me right I the early 70s Wood Transport of Oshawa use to bring the Campbell trailers into there yard foe Delivery into G.M. I believe they would have been 45ft. as 48ft would have been just starting or not yet.