If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Author Topic: GMC  (Read 9687 times)

Rick Sousa

GMC
« on: October 09, 2006, 11:27:33 AM »

Hank's Truck Forum

GMC
« on: October 09, 2006, 11:27:33 AM »

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
Re: GMC
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 12:15:41 PM »
Love the first picture of the orange & yellow one. What was the long hood model called? Matlack ran them back in the day & they were awesome looking units with a tanker!

Rick Sousa

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 12:21:03 PM »
They were 9500 series                             

« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 11:03:34 AM by Hammer Time »

Gary Smith

• Fleet eye for the Chicken guy
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 01:38:41 PM »
They are rarely used, but GMC/Chevy trucks have a letter designation in the model number

The first picture is a J9500 (short hood)
The second picture is an M9500 (longn hood)
The General/Bison is the N-series.  The truck in the picture appears to be the 108" BBC version, the N9E.  The 116" version was the N9F.

AFAIK, the M series was never sold as a Chevy.

For reference, the other models were:
Astro/Titan: D9K (daycab), D9L (Sleeper)
Brigadier/Bruin: J9C or J8C (J8's were powered by mid-range diesels like the VT225 Cummins or 3208 Cat)
Top Kick/Kodiak: C7D or C8D
Low Cab Forward: W7N

The model designations were suffixed with either 042 or 064 (4x2 or 6x4), so, for example the General is a N9E042
It's a Mack thing. you wouldn't understand.....

"Every highway, just beyond the high beams"

Pete B.

• From - Lomira, Wi.
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 02:06:07 PM »
I love those GMCs like the top pic. I'll have to get a pic of the wrecker the junk yard just bought. What was the version like the top pic that had the 4 head light setup? I think they were 9500s also. I prefer the quad headlights more.
I'd Rather Be Driving A

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 02:17:10 PM »
Mainly remember those long hood GMC's running around the east coast as daycabs; don't remember any fleet running sleepers. Was that more of an O/O option or did they even offer a sleeper?

EvanMcCausland

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 10:54:31 AM »
AFAIK, the M series was never sold as a Chevy.

For reference, the other models were:
Astro/Titan: D9K (daycab), D9L (Sleeper)
Brigadier/Bruin: J9C or J8C (J8's were powered by mid-range diesels like the VT225 Cummins or 3208 Cat)
Top Kick/Kodiak: C7D or C8D
Low Cab Forward: W7N

Just a few points...

-I think your M-series assumation is wrong.  I don't have a pic on hand at this time, but I'm pretty sure my '70 Chevy heavy conventional brochure shows a long-hood conventional hauling a gravel trailer.

-I need to check my Brig literature, as I believe the Series 8500 was also available with big-block gas power.

-W7N was only for the Class 7 Steel Tilt; I believe there was a Class 6 that was a W6.  This "W" name came into play relatively late in the Steel Tilt's life, and was carried into it's Isuzu-built replacement.

Gary Smith

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 01:15:31 PM »
Evan,

I could very well be wrong about the Chevy.  M's were not very common in these parts, regardless of badge.  I'll qualify my remark by saying that I never saw one as a Chevy.

Yes, the J8 Brig also offered gas power.

Agreed on the W-series, however, I usually restrict my discussions on this forum to class 7 or 8 trucks.

My source is the Nov/Dec 1978 issue of Owner/Operator, which was the 1979 specs issue.  W's were listed as offering only gas power, IIRC the 6V53 was offered at one time.  Unfortunately, '77 is the oldest specs issue that I have and includes the General/Bison, so I don't have any further info on the M.

I miss those "specs" issues.  I eagerly awaited each year's issue.  The last one I have was from '89.

To pose a question, wasn't the Astro/Titan also offered in a short-sleeper version, i.e. 72-75" BBC?  I seem to recall seeing photos of one.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 01:17:48 PM by Gary Smith »

doug mckenzie

• Regular Membership
  • Doug McKenzie
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 01:59:00 PM »

Gary, the Astro/Titan was offered with a 72-inch sleeper.

I have a slide of one from one of the casket manufacturers, I think perhaps Hillenbrand, who came up to Ontario here pulling doubles.

The long nose 9500, or M as you refer to it, was offered and sold as a Chevy.
They were quite popular in Maritime Canada - remember seeing both on several occasions.

The M Series long nose 9500 was seldom seen with a box sleeper and I don't think ever sold out of the factory with one. My literature from that time doesn't show any or mention it.

Mackie Van and Storage, now Mackie Moving Corporation, purchased a used long nose MH-9500 (8V-71 Detroit) from Carling O'Keefe Breweries and puit a sleeper on it.

Carling O'Keefe ran a whole fleet of MH-9500's in the 70's - they were all red, bare bones, no chrome - the dual exhaust pipes were even painted black.
Right-wing Old School.

Gary Smith

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 03:07:47 PM »
Gary, the Astro/Titan was offered with a 72-inch sleeper.

I have a slide of one from one of the casket manufacturers, I think perhaps Hillenbrand, who came up to Ontario here pulling doubles.

The long nose 9500, or M as you refer to it, was offered and sold as a Chevy.
They were quite popular in Maritime Canada - remember seeing both on several occasions.

The M Series long nose 9500 was seldom seen with a box sleeper and I don't think ever sold out of the factory with one. My literature from that time doesn't show any or mention it.

Mackie Van and Storage, now Mackie Moving Corporation, purchased a used long nose MH-9500 (8V-71 Detroit) from Carling O'Keefe Breweries and puit a sleeper on it.

Carling O'Keefe ran a whole fleet of MH-9500's in the 70's - they were all red, bare bones, no chrome - the dual exhaust pipes were even painted black.

I think that steel hauler Yourga had some short sleeper Astros, now that I think about it.

Most of the M's I saw around here were owner-operator rigs, altho Roadway had one set up as a wrecker at the Hagerstown, MD breakbulk terminal.  It must have been a test tractor at one time, I don't ever remember seeing one as a tractor.

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 03:11:18 PM »
Gary, the Astro/Titan was offered with a 72-inch sleeper

Womeldorf out of DuBois, Pa., and Yourga, a steel hauler out of Wheatland, are two big users that come to mind.

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 03:13:37 PM »
I think that steel hauler Yourga had some short sleeper Astros, now that I think about it.

You trumped me!

Steve Slocum

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 02:52:29 AM »
I was up at my garage yesterday working on a few things when I heard a Detroit coming up the hill. It turned , and went down behind my property where they were chopping corn in the big field.
 Just happened to have a camera with me, so got a picture as it came back up the lane.
 I've seen this General around a lot, and it's a ratty looking SOB, but it sure sounds nice.
[/img]

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • www.hankstruckpictures.com
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2006, 04:16:43 AM »

Hi Doug: Don't forget the M's that Consolidated Truck Lines ran. They survived into the Dominion Consolidated era and were even used as local tractors. I had a client in St.Catharines who received bolts of cloth from overseas. I remember DomCon sending a long nose 9500 to pick some up and take down to St.Kitts. I don't remember the client's name just how mad Gord Aldridge (Aldridge Cargo Services) was when he found out I was using DomCon (Truck-Air Ltd. Authority) because they were cheaper.

EvanMcCausland

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2006, 05:25:30 AM »
Agreed on the W-series, however, I usually restrict my discussions on this forum to class 7 or 8 trucks.

Understood, but seeing as the 72"BBC steel tilt cab was used on everything from class 6 to class 8 - with class 8 being essentially replaced by the Astro in '69 - it's important to note.

I think I've got the original GM T&C cab blueprints from '57 somewhere downstairs.  I'll have to see if I can't photograph it; it's a huge thing.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2006, 05:25:30 AM »