If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Lyons Transportation Lines  (Read 5208 times)

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • www.hankstruckpictures.com
Lyons Transportation Lines
« on: January 23, 2010, 03:53:37 AM »

This is a fleet that served both New York State and Michigan but I don't recall seeing them taking the short cut across southern Ontario. I imagine that since they were based in Erie PA the freight was moved through there.
Their trailers were a common sight but hauled into the Toronto area sufferance warehouses by Canadian interline carriers.
Hank has just updated Dave Faust's LTL page so that triggered these memories about this Great Lakes regional carrier.

Hank's Truck Forum

Lyons Transportation Lines
« on: January 23, 2010, 03:53:37 AM »

hwyhaulier

Re: Lyons Transportation Lines
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 06:05:16 AM »
Rob -

Yep! Check and concur! LYONS ran radial via Erie. Owner was Phil (?) Cochrane, a seasoned WWII USAAF fliyng vet!

Bad, Old Days when I was routing shipments via its line, an impeccable service. They were a darling with Buffalo area shippers...

......................Vern...............

wig wag

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 08:29:55 AM »
I would see them every day when I drove for Canadian General Electric back in the 70's.  I ran from Oakville to various points

in Ohio on I-90. 

I remember a unique feature that they had on thier trailers that I never saw anywhere else.  It was air assisted dolly winders.

Not sure how it worked, but it had a air tugger motor that did the cranking.

One of thier drivers " Big Flat Top"  sad to say, was killed when his truck went off ramp ramp at I-90 & I-190  one wintery night.

Other carriers out of Erie Pa. where Erie Beer Distributors, and G.E. locolmotive  Division.

Highway I-90 across Pa. back then was single lane for many years.  45 M.P.H. speed limit, and no doubles where allowed.

ltmdwb

• Regular Membership
    • Dale's Truck Insignia Patches
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 12:32:16 PM »

« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 01:11:05 PM by ltmdwb »
Dale
Psalm 51:10-12

see part of my more than 2,500 piece freight company patch exhibit or help me identify some at:
You can see this project as it develops at my new site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/truck_company_insignia_patches/sets

Ray F

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 08:19:46 PM »
One of thier trailers Now Being Used to Haul Carnival Equipment around, Found this at a County Fair this Past summer  8-)

http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo80/carhauler385/trailers/07-30-09pics020.jpg

http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo80/carhauler385/trailers/07-30-09pics038.jpg

doug mckenzie

• Regular Membership
  • Doug McKenzie
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 02:19:06 AM »
Rob -

Yep! Check and concur! LYONS ran radial via Erie. Owner was Phil (?) Cochrane, a seasoned WWII USAAF fliyng vet!

Bad, Old Days when I was routing shipments via its line, an impeccable service. They were a darling with Buffalo area shippers...

......................Vern...............

Perhaps the flying passion was passed down, Vern?

I remember being east of Syracuse on I-90 one particularly foggy night, grossed out with a load of glass and pounding along at about 65 mph when one of their Fords went blasting by as though I was standing still.
Right-wing Old School.

hwyhaulier

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 05:06:32 AM »
Doug -

(SIGH!) Bad, Old Days revisited! Truckers always resourceful. Some did Air Cargo, each in their own way, with tools at hand! <G>

Which, somehow leads back to legendary I-C-X. Wanna' volunteer for a project to chase tail lights of one of its rigs, Chicago to LAX?

It's too late for the law to catch up and enforce on these possible infractions! <G>

.......................Vern...................

doug mckenzie

• Regular Membership
  • Doug McKenzie
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 05:56:09 AM »
Doug -

(SIGH!) Bad, Old Days revisited! Truckers always resourceful. Some did Air Cargo, each in their own way, with tools at hand! <G>

Which, somehow leads back to legendary I-C-X. Wanna' volunteer for a project to chase tail lights of one of its rigs, Chicago to LAX?

It's too late for the law to catch up and enforce on these possible infractions! <G>

.......................Vern...................

Vern;

I'm still trying to track down the truth about those magical early and mid-60's Kenworth cab-overs with naturally-aspirated 250 Cummins engines and 12-speed Spicer boxes that could top three digits with ease - and those weren't metric digits either!

I grew up listening to a good many stories spun by old timers who ran east and west in both countries and my Father even told me about some of those old Kenworths.
Drove one in fact.

Really enjoying your in-put into these threads.
Right-wing Old School.

hwyhaulier

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 09:11:35 AM »
Doug -

Thanks! Indeed, in the tales, there is a murky zone between fact and fable. Absent a company decision to run fast, as a rule the firms knew
it came with a greater fuel burn...

Somewhere in the mix with the large lines, there was a "tire man" with the engineering knowledge to back it up! In any of these higher speed
stories, it has always been about the tires. They could take the sustained hard work, or they couldn't. Better not to learn the limits first hand...

For the most part, with an experienced crew, the men know the limits without being told. At a station I managed, oh, twenty years back,
my owner operator "long men" knew I was looking for moves from two particular steamship lines. Both carriers had everything on premium
rubber all around. I didn't ask if, on dark nights on lightly traveled roads, they were holding to 55! Whatever the men's logs stated as fact was
good enough. I always kept telling them" "Hey! We're running 55 mph rates!"...

.......................Vern...............

Road Boss

• Regular Membership
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 06:09:15 AM »
Growing up in Erie I see those trucks all the time.  Nice clean fleet and I never seen a truck in their fleet with a stacks.  I guess that is one way to keep trailer clean of soot.

tank4life

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 05:53:54 PM »
Lyons Transportation also ran a fleet of Brockways for years after Brockway ceased production.  They were also the linehaul carrier for Eastman Kodak in Rochester.  They had a break bulk terminal on Saranac Rd in Cleveland off of E 152nd St. 

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 05:53:54 PM »