If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: MacKinlay Transport  (Read 9165 times)

pete

MacKinlay Transport
« on: December 19, 2009, 12:59:15 PM »
Any one remember when they were on Dundas west of Dixie Rd across from Canadian Tire? They were running WC22 Whites right up to 1971 when they were bought by Central (CT) from Detroit MI.They had moved to Milton by then the yard is still there ,I am not sure who's in there now.I worked there when CT took over.We came to work one day and a bunch of Cadillacs with Michigan plates were in the driveway, as we punched in there was a guy who said to each of us I'm Manny Maroun the new owner.There were 2 big guys with noticable bulges under their suit jackets with him.They left around noon we never saw them again.
pete

Hank's Truck Forum

MacKinlay Transport
« on: December 19, 2009, 12:59:15 PM »

doug mckenzie

• Regular Membership
  • Doug McKenzie
Re: MacKinlay Transport
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 02:27:39 AM »

Yep.
W-22 Whites and B-81 Macks - always in your way since they were often lucky to get over 45 miles an hour downhill.
Right-wing Old School.

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 03:59:00 AM »
McKinlay when on Dundas in Cooksville. They were in front of Dixie Arena, home of the Junior B Dixie Beehives.
I remember both the Whites and the B Model Macks parked out front facing Dundas.
What's there now?
Not too much; a restaurant that serves Vietnamese food or something along that nature.
They moved out to Milton in the late 1960's if memory serves. They moved back to the former Western Trucklines yard on Middlegate during the 1980's, basically just around the corner from the Dundas Highway location.
Did you guys go to the NORSEMAN at the corner of Dundas and Stanfield after work once in a while?
That's a Southeast Asian place too.

Rob
(grew up on Dundas west of Cooksville)

art

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 05:58:39 AM »
A little bit of trivia to add.  Growing up in the Halton area, when McKinlay moved to Milton the street buzz was that twin 45's were going to be allowed on the 400 series highways but not on the other roads (history repeats itself!).  The deal was this terminal was "on the clover leaf" and would allow their vehicles to exit the 401 and get directly into the terminal where the trailers could be split for local delivery.  Coming to Milton was quite a departure in the late 1960s given a lot of the land south of the 401 in the Dixie area was still fields and the main truck community was just moving away from the area that became the CN Tower.

Went there looking for work around the time ownership was changing.  Inside the office there was a receptionist who, once I indicated I wanted to apply for work, gave me an application.  Once I had completed the application, she took it from me and without looking up said "you don't want to work here".  Thinking this was a challenge I replied that I did and she looked up and said "keep looking and if you haven't found something in a few weeks come back, but this place has no future".  To this day, I think this was one of the greatest favours anyone had ever done for me.

yardman

• Regular Membership
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 01:10:25 PM »
I remember Mackinlay on Middlegate, later I believe on Williams Pky in Brampton. I never knew they were in front of the Dixie arena. I used to live right behind Dixie arena, I moved there in 78 and at that time there was a Mcdonalds and acouple of strip malls, one with the Dixie 5 cinema.

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 03:15:26 PM »
I remember Mackinlay on Middlegate, later I believe on Williams Pky in Brampton. I never knew they were in front of the Dixie arena. I used to live right behind Dixie arena, I moved there in 78 and at that time there was a Mcdonalds and acouple of strip malls, one with the Dixie 5 cinema.

Oh, Yah...the Dixie=Five, quel dump IIRC
Mckinlay would've been gone to Milton almost 10 years by the time you moved there.
An apartment on Queen Fred?

yardman

• Regular Membership
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 03:53:21 PM »
Townhouse on Gripsholm with my parents, Shipp built !!! lol

wig wag

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 04:28:39 PM »
I remember The trucks ------Trucks  and the yard in front of the arena.  Lots of puddles.

As for the yard in Milton, When I worked for Allied systems we moved yard out o that property.

mybe we where still Auto haulaway at the time, then Peterbuilt moved into half the shop.

It was at the time that Hyundia pulled the plug at Bromont Quebec.

A short time later, we moved back to our old yard back in Oakville.

Funny story about the Milton yard when we where there---If I may highjack this thread for minute.

One of our trucks brought in an old piece of junk that had broke down on the road up north.

It was an old Chevelle or Baumont painted custard yellow with a tan vynyl roof.

It was brought in C.O.D. but no one came to bail it out. Then late one night a guy showed up

and told the security guard he was picking up his car, and would he mind giving him a boost.

and that the guard did and off the guy went. End of story----NO!

Next morning when the terminal manager was driving to work on the 401, he saw the custard and tan beauty sitting on the
]
shoulder, called a towing companay and had the car brought back to the yard.  The engine was blown!!!

We sat on that car till we moved out. and then had it towed to the scrap yard.

The terminal manager should have left it sitting on the highway.  We didn't do any C.O.D. 's after that.

Central had a yard off Hains road across from Trailmobile.  near Queensway and Cawthra.

pete

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 07:56:10 AM »
They moved to Milton in 70 or 71.Ed MacKiinlay lived right up the street on Palston Rd.The CIBC was there then right in the corner of the yard.They used to put a white line down the yard and you dropped trailers on the line or else Ed was known to have called people at home to come in and staighten it up.Those old WC22's were kept up.They had a system that I wish places had now.In or out you went through Checkpoint ,every thing was checked not by you ,there were to guys that did it.You didnot leave the yard with even one marker lite out anytime.They had racks all made up,broken boardthey cut off the hooks,took it out,replaced it stencilled the number on it and away you went in less than 10 minutes.When we complained about the trucksEd would say the customer sees inside the trailer not  the truck.
The Whites were slow but we got a premium of 1.5 cents per mile not bad when the Teamster rate was 8.8.We were the highest paid freight company at the time.I usually made more per week than my Autoworker neighbour,try that now.

ltmdwb

• Regular Membership
    • Dale's Truck Insignia Patches
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 04:57:23 PM »
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 04:35:02 AM by ltmdwb »
Dale
Psalm 51:10-12

see part of my more than 2,500 piece freight company patch exhibit or help me identify some at:
You can see this project as it develops at my new site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/truck_company_insignia_patches/sets

pete

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 01:06:15 PM »
That is the later style(after CT) emblem.The older style had MacKinlay in script writing.That one you have looks in excellent shape
Pete

Cornbinder

• OPEN ROAD...a trucker's dream....
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 07:27:24 PM »
That is the later style(after CT) emblem.The older style had MacKinlay in script writing.That one you have looks in excellent shape
Pete

I remember When they were located on HWY 18, just outside of Windsor, they were still running the grey White's with the lighted sign ontop of the cab. Very cool to see.

JJG

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 10:55:55 PM »
Just going through this topic for no real good reason but I do remember the old White tractors coming to St.Thomas @ Buckland Customs Brokers on First Ave (we lived across the street) probably picking up loads put in bond. They most often had the old rack and tarp trailers.

Also, do any of you guys remember if they had a yard at the junction of Hwys 2 and 81 near Mt.Brydges?? That would have been on route from Buffalo NY to Pt.Huron MI before the 402 was opened up. We had relatives in Mt.Brydges and as a kid I remember seeing a bunch of those old McKinley trucks there as we would visit on Sundays. They still had the "no Sunday driving" for trucks then.

Jim

pete

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 02:54:38 PM »
They had their London Yard on the north side of Hwy 2 west of Hwy 4 before you got to Delaware.Is that where you mean?There might have been a house there  too.In small branches they would have 1 union driver and his wife would be the manager,with 1 room or a closed in porch with a phone in it.They would have 2 rows of old hydro poles set up so 1 man could tarp those high rack trailers by himself .Ropes and pulleys pull it up,back under and that was it,not easy but not as bad as it sounds.I was only at that yard 2or3 times,over 40 years ago,but I won't forget it as I tarped a trailer there by myself on a windey November day.
Pete

JJG

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 10:18:30 PM »
They had their London Yard on the north side of Hwy 2 west of Hwy 4 before you got to Delaware.Is that where you mean?There might have been a house there  too.In small branches they would have 1 union driver and his wife would be the manager,with 1 room or a closed in porch with a phone in it.They would have 2 rows of old hydro poles set up so 1 man could tarp those high rack trailers by himself .Ropes and pulleys pull it up,back under and that was it,not easy but not as bad as it sounds.I was only at that yard 2or3 times,over 40 years ago,but I won't forget it as I tarped a trailer there by myself on a windey November day.
Pete

Yeah, that was it Pete, I was thinking more of near HWY #81 but Delaware would be it! I do remember wondering if someone lived on site. Can't remember the poles for tarping but it would certainly have helped. I only ever had to tarp the lower side rack and tarp trailers. Thanks Pete.

Jim

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 10:18:30 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs