If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Marine Museum of Manitoba  (Read 3209 times)

Wee Willy

• Global Moderator
Marine Museum of Manitoba
« on: November 18, 2009, 04:40:50 AM »
Website.
http://www.marinemuseum.ca/index.html

Click for satellite view.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=50.146065,-96.864942&spn=0.001289,0.004517&t=h&z=18

Enter the museum.

L to R)
The Jackie S, a typical fishing boat from days gone by.
Peguis 2, a government work boat.
Big brother to the Peguis, the Bradbury.

The Bradbury next to the Keenora, a privately owned commercial boat that ran freight and passengers on Lake Winnipeg.
If you compare the two, the government boat is like a luxury ship decked out in highly detailed oak, or mahogany and brass, while the private boat has a lot of grey paint, pine boards, and nails.

Remains of an old steam powered tug called the Granite Rock, built in 1913.

The Rest.

Some of the stuff laying around here and there.
A Rolls Royce diesel engine.

A couple air cooled Deutz diesels, a V-12 and a V-8, winching set ups, a dragline bucket, etc..

(Just outside the park, other side of the dike)
Paddlewheel Princess in dry dock being restored.
This boat used to run pleasure cruises up and down the Red River and used to dock just a few blocks from where I grew up in Winnipeg.

Leaving the museum and continuing North through the park, there is a small sheltered channel where many boats are docked for the winter, as well as several other pleasure boats that used to travel the Red River and Lake Winnipeg.

Left to right on the Google map.
Lord Selkirk, River Rouge, Paddlewheel Queen, Paddlewheel Princess.   
http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=50.14864,-96.863242&spn=0.001289,0.002317&z=18

The Lord Selkirk on the left in the first pic, was a failed project built by the Manitoba government for $3 or $4 million dollars, and sold for $1.00 to a businessman who ran luxury cruises from Winnipeg and up Lake Winnipeg.

The Paddlewheel Queen on the right, is the sister to the Princess in dry dock.
Ii once had a top deck which was removed, likely to clear bridges to the south of the Redwood bridge where the Queen, Princess, and Lord Selkirk all have docked over the years.
The band I was in during my teens, actually played a couple high school grad dances on the Paddlewheel Queen.
(good times)

Docking spot where they used to dock all three boats.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=49.916518,-97.12767&daddr=&hl=en&geocode=&mra=mi&mrsp=0&sz=18&sll=49.916511,-97.127472&sspn=0.001413,0.002763&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=18

The last is the River Rouge, which had a lower profile and could travel further south on the river than the Redwood Bridge, and docked further south near the Louise Bridge.

A few other boats in the channel.

The first rule of the road is:
"If anything can happen, at any time, it will!"

Hank's Truck Forum

Marine Museum of Manitoba
« on: November 18, 2009, 04:40:50 AM »

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
Re: Marine Museum of Manitoba
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 05:30:17 AM »
Pretty cool Willy - i was just talking to my wife about how i need to visit the USMMA at Kings Point NY as a birthday present to myself & you pop up with this tour.  :-o I love maritime museums and try to visit one every time we're away. A little out of my territory but it looks really interesting. How big is the lake these boats sailed on? :? The Bradbury is very interesting and looks real serious. Is there much traffic on the lake today and if so what type? :? Thanks for sharing. :wink:

Wee Willy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 07:30:10 AM »
Pretty cool Willy - i was just talking to my wife about how i need to visit the USMMA at Kings Point NY as a birthday present to myself & you pop up with this tour.  :-o I love maritime museums and try to visit one every time we're away. A little out of my territory but it looks really interesting. How big is the lake these boats sailed on? :? The Bradbury is very interesting and looks real serious. Is there much traffic on the lake today and if so what type? :? Thanks for sharing. :wink:
Howdy Charlie, you're welcome. :wink:

Lake Winnipeg is pretty big in area, about 400 km long, and about 100 km wide on the upper basin, but it's a very shallow lake and can become rough very fast when the wind blows hard.
Don't know if you notice most of the boats have a shallow draft because of the lake depths.

I marked Selkirk at the bottom of the lake for you.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=50.125861,-96.874695&daddr=&geocode=&hl=en&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=10&sll=50.204154,-96.727753&sspn=0.3595,0.707245&ie=UTF8&ll=52.011937,-97.250977&spn=5.531895,11.315918&z=6

There's still quite a bit of traffic on the lake, lots of pleasure craft, small yachts, (under 50 feet), sailboats around the south basin, self propelled barges hauling supplies, groceries and gas to northern communities around the lake that have no roads, probably hauling silica sand, lumber, fish, empty barrels and etc for back haul, lots of fishing boats fishing mostly for Walleye/Whitefish.
For quite a few decades, (as long as I can remember), the majority of freight to remote communities goes by truck in the winter time, when the winter roads open up.

Perishables are usually flown in, or delivered by boat when the ice is off.  
If you think a $2.50 a pound for tomatoes is steep, imagine paying $5.00 or more! :? :-o :-P
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 07:38:39 AM by Wee Willy »
The first rule of the road is:
"If anything can happen, at any time, it will!"

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 07:30:10 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs